Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
:eek: 18 new HD PPV, Comeon! As a coustomer and a shareholder of your's I requesting and demanding that all of these be taken down and national HD be added in place, like fox news hd, Travel Channel, ect. I expected better out of you! You have the best HD package, but that doesnt mean you should slack and not make it better. Come on. You know better! Expecally beause that is wasted bandwith :up If you want to play the HD numbers game add some real HD that i can get 24/7 not 4.99 per 3 hour block.

yeah i'm not happy with that either but i also realize that this is what they announced so i'm not surprised .

from what satelliteracer at dbstalk.com has said.....not all of the contracts for new channels are finalized yet so the ppv channels are merely placeholders until new hd is launched.

i'm not thrilled by what was released today (other than the 9 new full-time rsn's). you would think directv would have done a better job of having contracts signed by the time directv11 was turned on.

however, and i say this in directv's defense, when dtv11 was launched this spring, no new hd was anticipated before september so we are probably about a month early with new hd. why not have something on the air in the interim?

:eek: 18 new HD PPV, Comeon! As a coustomer and a shareholder of your's I requesting and demanding that all of these be taken down and national HD be added in place, like fox news hd, Travel Channel, ect. I expected better out of you! You have the best HD package, but that doesnt mean you should slack and not make it better. Come on. You know better! Expecally beause that is wasted bandwith :up If you want to play the HD numbers game add some real HD that i can get 24/7 not 4.99 per 3 hour block.
its the same philosophy they have had for years on HD. Don't you remember the introduction of ST in HD and the downrezzing they had to do to start that nonsense? And then the filling out of those channels and further degrading PQ? Then the wait while they filled out SD LIL? And when they get around to adding more HD its all PPVHD and RSN's. It should tell you the order of importance of HD subs.

I know they are saying some of these PPV channels are place holders, however they are still counting them in their national advertising campaign. I consider this to be fraudulent advertising. Of course E* is even worse with their fraudulent claims, including RSNs that blackout the HD content.

But for D* to have hyped this Fall launch for months and months, and then to deliver a grand total of 2 non-premium, non-RSN, non-PPV HD channels, is absurd. And only 4 new channels even if one subs to the premiums. Possibly the most over-hyped major HD expansion in history.

from what satelliteracer at dbstalk.com has said.....not all of the contracts for new channels are finalized yet so the ppv channels are merely placeholders until new hd is launched.

i'm not thrilled by what was released today (other than the 9 new full-time rsn's). you would think directv would have done a better job of having contracts signed by the time directv11 was turned on.

however, and i say this in directv's defense, when dtv11 was launched this spring, no new hd was anticipated before september so we are probably about a month early with new hd. why not have something on the air in the interim?

I see where you are coming from, but D* knew good and ready that D11 was coming. They had the time and opportunites to finalize the contracts to get stuff up now. While there was not new hd expected, some did pop up and could have been added. We all know that outdoor2hd has been up for years now. Why hasnt that been added? The could have also launched place holders for the channels expected to launch like they did with the viacom channels wich havent show one bit of HD.

DirecTV needs to carefully pick what national HD channels they carry. As when these are filled up this is it for new HD until another satellite is launched and thats over a year away.

I do wish they would turn on Outdoor Channel HD as I know its uplinked and no satellite provider carries it at the moment.

For my wife it would be nice if they would get Lifetime HD.

For me it would be nice if they had an HD-only package.

I agree with this tread 100%. There needs to be more national non premium channels added. I don't know what percentage of DirecTV's subscribers get premiums but, there are a lot I'm sure that don't and want HD too.

I even watched the D11 launch on TV for what, 2 national HD channels? There was plenty of time to get contracts signed.

Scott,

Many here are too simple to figure this out. Mine mine mine, want want want.

What you dont under stand is that is that we do know this and have figured it out but its a slap in the face to subs when you add ppv in a space that could be used for national hd. IF bandwidth is so limited, then why are we wasting it on ppv when we can be launching national hd and building the lineup untill D12 launches. Yes there are channels to be selected later, thats why you throw up place holders. At the same time D* has to put the pressure on providers to put up hd content.

Dude they are NOT wasting them, quit using that term.

WASTING them would be making them PERMANENT. They are working on agreements now, so what the hell is the difference between a temp PPV slot and a placeholder?? NOTHING.

What you dont under stand is that is that we do know this and have figured it out but its a slap in the face to subs when you add ppv in a space that could be used for national hd. IF bandwidth is so limited, then why are we wasting it on ppv when we can be launching national hd and building the lineup untill D12 launches. Yes there are channels to be selected later, thats why you throw up place holders. At the same time D* has to put the pressure on providers to put up hd content.
For the thousands time. They are not wasting bandwidth on PPV. These are temporary. Meaning when other channels come, they come down. This was announced way ahead of time.

Dude they are NOT wasting them, quit using that term.

WASTING them would be making them PERMANENT. They are working on agreements now, so what the hell is the difference between a temp PPV slot and a placeholder?? NOTHING.
Let's not also forget that some agreements are already in place and have been in place months ago. These agreements were made with the expectation of the launch being in September. So many of the channels will not be able to be shown until then as per the contract. In the meantime they place PPVs in the spots so they can make money instead of leaving them empty.

How can you expect normal users not to overreact to D* doing what their press release stated when even the site administrators can't separate themselves from the emotional feelings of not getting the channels they want?

Let's not also forget that some agreements are already in place and have been in place months ago. These agreements were made with the expectation of the launch being in September. So many of the channels will not be able to be shown until then as per the contract. In the meantime they place PPVs in the spots so they can make money instead of leaving them empty.

I was unaware of the already in place deals. If the contract is signed for Sept 15th for example, not much to do till then. So now its D*'s fault that they were proactive and signed a deal early, since they expeditiously got the sat up early :D

I dont fault them for putting up PPVs, who cares.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts