DirecTV / XM Rumor

Status
Please reply by conversation.
moqz1001 said:
why you all saying xm is coming to directv... nope xm lite is what it is more like, half the channels, the uppity ups will cry bandwidth restrictions couldnt put them all up, well if theyd stop having 6 of same ppv channels multiple feeds od sports schedule etc, theyd have the badwidth,

the real reason we are not getting it all. is to get directv subs enticed to buy it in car and home, and maybe / most likely next year xm and directv will offer full xm and as an add on.....

this is classic bait and switch marketing 101. get the suckers hooked with samples and reel them in

AND if they dont make full xm a add on extra cost, watch the next raise in cost be to cover full xm

Yes and the sky is falling, welcome to area51, and I bet you have been abducted by aliens before while investigating crop circles; man the paranoia. LOL! Chill there is no vast conspiracy or governmental coverup. They are just choosing a better market brand to replace their music offerings with. I prefer Sirius, but DISH already has that so this was expected. You can't get everything for free!

wonder if they will carry any cool onscreen info or albumcovers like they use to with some of the channels that would really be a plus i think.just my 2 cents worth.xm sub sense 2001

M Sparks said:
I have never heard a "Classic commercial". What channels are you listening to?

I also don't think I've ever heard the "XM Family Plan" or other such promos on music channels. The talk channels have TONS, because they have to cover the commercial space on external stations. (Or in the case of High Voltage, they have to give the hosts bathroom breaks.) Maybe my brain just skates over them because I'm used to hearing them so often on High Voltage and Extreme XM.

In any case, I think the inturruptions on the music channels are minimal at worst. I guess I can understand how some people feel since DirecTV is actually REMOVING MC. When DISH added Sirius, it was just a bonus...they left the other channels alone

It's funny, I've seen both arguments- always from people who have never listened to XM. Some say "I'm not paying to listen to DJ Chit Chat!". Others say "I'm not paying to listen to someone elses I-Pod...I like a station to have personality!"

XM actually hits a nice medium- most channels have a definate personality, without actually wasting time on talk. For example, "Lucy" and "Fred" are both "classic alternative" channels. They focus on slightly different time periods, but they still overlap about 10-15 years. Yet I can tell you which one is playing within two songs, even without a station ID.

As I write this, I have "Lucy" on. I have heard exactly ONE 10 second ID in the last 20 minutes. No Announcers, no XM Promos. I'm going to leave it on for a while and check back later.
70's, 80's bone yard, top tracks.."classic commercials" are on the decades channels listen your self...The XM family plan promotions is non stop during the day but seem to disapear at nite

RLuyster said:
How is the situation with standards/big band music on XM as compared to Music Choice?

I just signed up for the 3 day free trial on XM online - the 40 channel is what your looking for. Is identical to the Big Band channel on D*, including many of the same songs. So far the DJ announcements have been very limited.

moqz1001 said:
why you all saying xm is coming to directv... nope xm lite is what it is more like, half the channels, the uppity ups will cry bandwidth restrictions couldnt put them all up, well if theyd stop having 6 of same ppv channels multiple feeds od sports schedule etc, theyd have the badwidth,

Not sure what you're talking about here. Every satellite broadcast music channel (with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions) from XM will be on DirecTV, plus a couple of on-line exclusives. Most of the talk channels and network audio broadcasts (CNN, CNBC, etc) aren't included because they do not originate from XM. Unfortunately, the two XM comedy channels aren't included, but maybe in time they will be.

I had to jump in here, to compare XM's programming with music choice is rediculous.

XM's commercial breaks are there simply to remind listeners of the great upcoming events on other channels. the breaks are like 30 seconds every 15 minutes.

Theres also 'mood breaks' on the decades channels - for example, the 40's wil interrupt the music with breaking news of the victory at Midway or the German Surrender. The 60's runns ads with Frank Sinatra endorsing JFK.

MUSIC CHOICE has NOTHING on XM for Origional content, like;

Then, Again...LIVE - a show where a classic band, in studio, in front of an audience replays an ENTIRE clasic album (recent shows have had Jethro Tull - Aqualung, Cheap trick - Live at Budakan) from beginning to end. they re-invent some songs, and share some observations about the process of creating teh work.

Artist Confidential - Rock Superstars (Def Leppard, Robert Plant, Rush) come in studio to be interviewed about thier carears by Robert Taylor Morris, and play songs from thier history

Buried Treasure - One Hour a week with Tom Petty playing songs that have not hit the airwaves in years, if not ever

VOX - A full opera every weekday noon, with Thursdays reserved for Wagner. At night you can catch full Gilbert and Sullivans.

Decades Channels - Every channel has special shows, from a Doo Wop show on the 50's to Wax Your Woodie on the 60's to Bubblegum Pop shows on teh 70's to Lost Hits on the 80's to 9oH retro - a 90's dance mix on the 90's

Squizz - Plays one track from a Brand New release every hour on Tuesdays

Audio Visions - Night Lab - a mixture of new age and nature sounds for you to sleep to.

Not to mention The BEST Live8 coverage (each of the top cities got thier own channel for the entire day), Replaying the first FarmAid in its entirety, and CURRENTLY RUNNING - IT: THE HISTORY OF POP MUSIC - where they start on the 40's channel and play EVERY pop hit in chronological order until a week later they hit 1950, then the show switches to the 50's channel until 1960 etc. etc...until a month later you have played EVERY POP HIT FOR 60 years.

Dont get me started on O&A...to compare this to the Ipod/jukebox that is MC is apples and oranges.

check out xmradio(.)com and click whats on?

To each his own, of course. But, I like the way XM shakes up some of its programming every now and then. During the holiday season, several of their channels are re-designated to 24 hours of Christmas music. On the anniversary of D-Day, the 40's channel plays classic, authentic news reports about WWII. On big travel weekends (i.e. Thanksgiving), a music channel might highlight a particular artist throughout the day. On the 50's channel (or is it 60's?) there is a "here and there" show, which compares the top 10 songs in Britain and the U.S. for a particular week. On the movie soundtrack channel, they will play a short, classic scene from a popular movie, and then play that very movies' title theme. etc.

The use of d.j.'s is very little, normally just telling you what is playing on another stations and plugging upcoming special programming.

All XM vs. Sirius vs. Music Choice stuff aside, I think we can all agree on one thing...

No, not that FM radio sucks...

...No, not that gas prices are too high...

...but that Rush is without question the worst band to ever be successful. I mean, who's gonna argue with that?? Of all the bands to still be on the road after all these years, why them?

Very exciting

This is interesting news, can't wait. Better music options. I just hope there will still be music like MC's "Sounds of the Season" - electronica, trip hop, the mellow down tempo and contemporary jazzy type music. That is good music.

I've been told that the extra Artist facts, and album art were part of the *Interactive feature, and that it had been pulled for HDTV. So will there be any extra info bits about artists and such like MC use to have? Those artist facts, album art and banners added zest to the menu.

Pardon my newbieness , please have mercy. :eek:

my cable company offers artist facts and album art on their music choice channels and I enjoy it. You learn little tidbits about groups that otherwise you wouldn't have known about them. I hope directv does this with the xm channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)