DIRECTV10 Listed on Lyngsat

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Those really are the best English terms to describe a satellite's orbital characteristics.

apogee : the point in the orbit of an object (as a satellite) orbiting the earth that is at the greatest distance from the center of the earth ; also : the point farthest from a planet or a satellite (as the moon) reached by an object orbiting it

perigee : the point in the orbit of an object (as a satellite) orbiting the earth that is nearest to the center of the earth; also : the point nearest a planet or a satellite (as the moon) reached by an object orbiting it

inclination 0 degrees : Equatorial orbit

Dude you just engineered everyone out of the room. Only mentioned in progress. Dont even know what you are getting at. That there is a better technical term with in progress. That we should avoid the word parking if not in geosynchronous orbit? Pray tell what should we use in layman's terms? :)

Loosing ground, dude ? Hold your temper - you're on TV, hmm - public forum ! :(

It's not the sign - apogee must be equal to perigee and inclination must be 0.

good luck with that. If any sat operator made apogee equal to perigee and inclination equal to zero, then the satellite lifetime would only be a few weeks or a few months at most because you'd constantly be using stationkeeping fuel to make the orbit happen.

It will happen in any case, as you so experienced in astronavigation. ;)
There are much more factors what required to do orbit keeping. Plus move the spacecraft in constantly corrected orientation, if the case of DTH sats at GSO.

[Don't drag me into this, I know this sh!t.]

This thread reminds me of my favorite Einstein quotation:
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler"

I have a question about D10. It shows now at 96 degrees and on my HR20 it shows six transponders at 99 degrees. I get a strong signal on three of the six that are supposed to be there. Will D10 wind up, hopefully at 99 degree? What am I seeing at 99 degrees? Now?

Thanks;
milt

If memory serves me correctly there will be two birds co-located at both 99(ish) and 103(ish). DirecTV 10 & 11 should occupy the "2nd slot" at each orbital location' if I remember correctly.

99.2w Spaceway 2 already there.

102.8 Spaceway 1 already there.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT AN ASTROPHYSICIST!! :)

Am I way off-base thinking that the sat's need to be a little more "North" of where they are to see the northern states/northwest/New England? I realize that this may not be the finally position for D10, but Latitude 0.05°/Longitude -103.95° seems pretty low on the southern horizon to reach everyone...basically sitting at the Equator. But I guess if it is hanging out at 22k miles above the Equator, it can see the whole country...?

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT AN ASTROPHYSICIST!! :)

Am I way off-base thinking that the sat's need to be a little more "North" of where they are to see the northern states/northwest/New England? I realize that this may not be the finally position for D10, but Latitude 0.05°/Longitude -103.95° seems pretty low on the southern horizon to reach everyone...basically sitting at the Equator. But I guess if it is hanging out at 22k miles above the Equator, it can see the whole country...?

By definition, Geosynchronous orbit is at 0 deg. Latitude (over the equator). This is where (at 22,300 mi up) the orbit of the sat can equal the rotation of the earth.

I always assumed that the latitudinal location was not what made a satellite geosynchronous. I figured if they could get a bird to hover over Washington DC, then that would be in a geosynch orbit. Thanks for the education.

WooHoo!!

In their previous "temporary filing" with the FCC, they stated testing was already underway. If the testing is underway, and the bird is in place, I am guessing they would only need to ensure that all carriage agreements are in place before lighting it up. :D I could be wrong, but this is certainly good news that it arrived in it's final home location. Now it is "simply" a matter of flipping the switch!! :up

Can someone Englishize whats been said.

Ok its parked, its tested, and ready to go. But someon is worried about this Max Inclination thingy and has me worried about a .13. What the heck is a .13?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)