Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
DirecTV and Cyberlink have prepared a new version of DirecTV2PC that shifts the majority of processing to the video processor instead of the CPU. For computers with high-end graphics, this should work good and be very desirable. For older computers with lower-end graphics, the other beta version is still available. This new version is also Windows 7 Compatible.

For the standard beta, which primarily uses CPU processing, visit this site:
DIRECTV: DIRECTV2PC (Version 5102)

For the new beta that shifts processing to the video card, download this from Satelliteguys:
DirecTV 2 PC v. 5313 Beta (34mb)
Hardware Advisor Program (To see if your system can handle DirecTV2PC GPU Test Pre-Beta Version.) (3mb)

Even with the beta, you will need a serial number. If you do not have one, you will need to complete the entire download process for the beta version hosted at directv's site, the s/n is emailed after the download is finished.
To get a serial number, visit: DIRECTV: DIRECTV2PC

Remember this is a beta software, DO NOT call or email customer support for help. Post any issues here, we'll try to help, and DirecTV will get your feedback.

-----

Items in BOLD are new to this release:

New features

• Video Acceleration when available
  • Support for Friendly Names
  • Offer "Retry" when content cannot be played due to HDCP support issue
  • Change activation key: when receiving "incorrect activation key"
  • New EULA (please read)
  • Prevent screen capture of D2PC app
  • Ability to connect to update server
  • Support for Windows 7 Activation
  • Support for Windows 7 RC1

Improved/Updated

• Trick Play
  • video / audio mismatch in FF mode
  • Lip sync issues
  • Server lookup/connection consistency
  • Parental: when no PIN, default setting is unlocked
  • Edge sharpness during playback in full screen
  • ATSC playback audio
  • Video lockup when changing audio/video several times
  • parental controls
  • refined "Download now" behavior
  • Closed Captioning
  • Improved playback when USB device in use
  • "Showcase" tab is now "Top Movies"
  • Improved video on stations with crawl
  • Improvements when parental lock on

It would be nice if there was only one version and the user could customize graphics chip vs CPU. YOu know, the program examines the machine and recommends one mode versus the other and the user selects.

I installed this yesterday and I am having problems. I can hear audio but there is no video. All I have is a black screen.

I am using Windows 7 RC 64 bit. Is Directv2PC compatible with 64 bit versions of Windows?

I installed this yesterday and I am having problems. I can hear audio but there is no video. All I have is a black screen.

I am using Windows 7 RC 64 bit. Is Directv2PC compatible with 64 bit versions of Windows?

I have it installed on 64 bit of Vista and it works perfect..

RC x64 here and working peachy as well. What video card do you have Mike4HDTV? How do you have your monitor set up under display manager? Maybe its somehow sending the video to a second monitor you don't have or something along that line.

I have a ATI Radeon X1600. I'm using VGA ouput.

I'm not home right now but when I get home I will check my display settings since it is working fine for everybody else.

The older versions of Directv2pc worked fine for me.

The first time I ran the newer version here on my Win7 RC x64 box it gave me some odd mssg about not being able to run on multiple monitors and I only have one but somehow the install of Win 7 put a generic PnP driver/monitor because my card has 2 vid outputs. Anyway when I went into display options I selected the drop down option for only displaying desktop on monitor 1 and that fixed the only problem I ran into. Maybe its something simular for you

5313 no longer working , gives a msg like" your PC does not support protected content". Quad core with high-end video card (GEFORCE 8800). It stoped working after CE 31A installed. Already reported on CE forum.

UPDATE: Returned 1 receiver to NR and everything working now.

Last edited:
Yep, somehow the new CE botched up something. Can play non-hd items still but any HD items the player starts playing the show then says:

"The Videos audio is protected and cannot be played back. Try updating your audio driver and then try again"

How they can mess things up so much without trying is simply amazing. Prior CE DTV2PC was working excellently. Good thing I don't use it much to begin with.

Will post to the CE thread along with an error report.

EDIT: Strange, while regular movie channel HD shows produce the mssg the one On Demand hd movie we pulled from showtime plays, go figure

Last edited:
I still get the dreaded "there are no recorded programs at this time" Does anyone know a fix for this? I've had this problem since day one with ALL VErSIONS.

Is this service only for the HD DVR.
I moved from Puerto Rico to Colombia, I still have my PR D*tv DVR but it is not HD since I am not sure I will be able to get the HD Signal down here.

Is this service only for the HD DVR.
I moved from Puerto Rico to Colombia, I still have my PR D*tv DVR but it is not HD since I am not sure I will be able to get the HD Signal down here.

THis would only work on a local network (around your house), it does not send out over the internet. Also HD-DVR only, except the R22 DVR.

Thanks Jason.
I have done some more reading and it is the HD DVR the one with the Ethernet connection, so I have to change my receiver since it is not HD DVR.... so I guess what I need to find out is if the HD signals (footprint) for the Puerto Rican receivers can be received in Bogota. Any guidance is appreciated.
TIA.

I posted this in the CE thread but in case anyone else was having problems felt I would share it here as well:

Well a follow-up to the DT2PC problem from the last 2 CE's. I found a way around it. After experimenting with disabling different sound features on my computer I solved the issue and can now play regular and HD shows using it. My sound card is an x-fi titanium pro & apparently whatever they changed in the last 2 CE's was upset over a feature that didn't bother it before. Prior to the last 2 CE's under my sound settings sp-dif out for the x-fi was enabled, even though I didn't use it, and it didn't cause a problem. Anyway after I disabled that VIOLA all shows now play. Don't know if this info will help anyone else but figured I'd at least post what I found.

DirecTv2PC Playback Advisor

The new 5313 beta works great without the HD video/audio plats, dropouts, and pixelizations I see with CE MRV.

But I had some unexplained difficulties downloading the Directv release to get a product key. Problem 1: the release of DirecTv2PC Playback adviser from DirecTv's web page would load and test but the UPDATE tab was always grayed-out and not selectable. Problem 2: no download from DirecTv means no product code to activate beta 5313. I called DirecTv and requested the product key to no avail and walking them through the steps of my repeated failure didn't help either.

So after trying to d/l the playback adviser from this site yielded a selectable UPDATE box and seems to have generated my e-mailed product key I was lacking but it got sent to SPAM unexpectedly so I almost gave it up.

I posted this in case others have spent hours on more than one occasion and swore not to try again. I wouldn't have got it to work without the playback adviser made available to d/l from this site. Never got the original beta to work but this looks spectacular in HD.

This application was a snap to setup and launch once I finally got the product key. No troubleshooting of setup or computer settings was necessary.

Thanks Satelliteguys forum for great support and opportunity to participate in CE!

Thanks DirecTv for listening and your cutting edge improvements!

Note: There is also useful troubleshooting information in the setup of this application but you have to launch it first. I hope DirecTv finds some useful feedback in this post to 1)fix their playback adviser; 2)update their FAQ with "check e-mail SPAM folder for product key and 3)post the troubleshooting information in FAQ.

I just tried the directv links and the download is working after providing a name/email.

Perhaps it was just down temporarily. Try again.

I just tried the directv links and the download is working after providing a name/email.

Perhaps it was just down temporarily. Try again.

NO NEED FOR ME TO TRY AGAIN; IT'S WORKING.

I THINK MY PROBLEM WAS THAT THE UPDATE BUTTON WAS GRAYED-OUT SO I COULD ONLY GET A PRODUCT CODE BY D/L OF PLAYBACK ADVISER HERE THEN I WAS ABLE TO GET PRODUCT CODE BY D/L VIA UPDATE BUTTON. ONLY PROBLEM AFTER THAT WAS NOT CHECKING SPAM FOLDER FOR PRODUCT CODE.

JUST WANTED TO CLARIFY; THANKS AGAIN!

Yep, somehow the new CE botched up something. Can play non-hd items still but any HD items the player starts playing the show then says:

"The Videos audio is protected and cannot be played back. Try updating your audio driver and then try again"

How they can mess things up so much without trying is simply amazing. Prior CE DTV2PC was working excellently. Good thing I don't use it much to begin with.

Will post to the CE thread along with an error report.

EDIT: Strange, while regular movie channel HD shows produce the mssg the one On Demand hd movie we pulled from showtime plays, go figure

I fixed this problem by going into control panel/sounds and disabling the spdif/digital output. Apparently output to a digital sound output that could be captured is a no-no. Analog only.

Those having "protected content" errors are because the new version is enforcing the use of HDCP compliant video output in an effort to stop the .02% of people who would try to intercept the video stream between the graphics card and the screen and steal content.

I'm pretty sure this means you'll need a DVI or HDMI connection between the video card and the display, and the display, video card and video driver will all need to support HDCP. This is the case with both desktops and laptops.

In my household, only one out of four computers (all under 2 years old) support HDCP. I upgraded the desktop to an ATI 4350 and hooked it to the tv with HDMI and that resolved that one. The other two that dont do HDCP are laptops with intel 950 integrated graphics. Not going to be able to upgrade those too easily. And they're both new enough that we wont have much motivation to replace them for at least 2 more years.

So I hope we'll be able to continue to run the old beta version that isnt demanding HDCP. My wife will be mighty PO'd if she cant watch Oprah on her laptop.

Status
Please reply by conversation.