Status
Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
DirecTV and Cyberlink have prepared a new version of DirecTV2PC that shifts the majority of processing to the video processor instead of the CPU. For computers with high-end graphics, this should work good and be very desirable. For older computers with lower-end graphics, the other beta version is still available. This new version is also Windows 7 Compatible.

This is a second update to this beta, which adds Dual Monitor Support, better Windows 7 support, and a few other things.

For the standard beta, which primarily uses CPU processing, visit this site:
DIRECTV: DIRECTV2PC (Version 5102)

For the new beta that shifts processing to the video card, adds Win 7 and dual monitor support, download this from Satelliteguys:
DirecTV 2 PC v. 5514 Beta (36mb)
Hardware Advisor Program (To see if your system can handle DirecTV2PC GPU Test Pre-Beta Version.) (3mb)

Even with the beta, you will need a serial number. If you do not have one, you will need to complete the entire download process for the beta version hosted at directv's site, the s/n is emailed after the download is started.
To get a serial number, visit: DIRECTV: DIRECTV2PC

Remember this is a beta software, DO NOT call or email customer support for help. Post any issues here, we'll try to help, and DirecTV will get your feedback.

-----

Updates to this Version:

New features
Dual Monitor Support (Extension mode)
Always on Top
Codec download
Windows 7 Support

Improved/Updated
Activation
DVR Friendly Names
Trickplay
Parental controls

Notes
New Codecs may be download & installed as part of the setup/activation process after installation.

Previous Version Updates:

New features
  • Video Acceleration when available
  • Support for Friendly Names
  • Offer "Retry" when content cannot be played due to HDCP support issue
  • Change activation key: when receiving "incorrect activation key"
  • New EULA (please read)
  • Prevent screen capture of D2PC app
  • Ability to connect to update server
  • Support for Windows 7 Activation
  • Support for Windows 7 RC1

Improved/Updated
  • Trick Play
  • video / audio mismatch in FF mode
  • Lip sync issues
  • Server lookup/connection consistency
  • Parental: when no PIN, default setting is unlocked
  • Edge sharpness during playback in full screen
  • ATSC playback audio
  • Video lockup when changing audio/video several times
  • parental controls
  • refined "Download now" behavior
  • Closed Captioning
  • Improved playback when USB device in use
  • "Showcase" tab is now "Top Movies"
  • Improved video on stations with crawl
  • Improvements when parental lock on

This is a nice upgrade. Trying it on two computers (both very powerful) today and each worked very well. A few skips and tings here and there, but overwell it handled them well. A couple times the video/audio would skip back a second or so, looks like when the network struggled for a second. Running four video feeds between two receivers and two PCs right now, the network is probably a bit taxed.

The dual monitor support works flawlessly so far, very nice improvement, as is having the DVR friendly names :)

Finally

Dual-display support is great. Allows recording to be windowed and and dragged between displays.

I only have 2-channel audio on my PC. Is 5.1 passed if you have a 5.1 sound card?

Does it allow dual monitor support on non HDCP monitors?

Thats been the sticking point for me. Two of the laptops we use the most dont have hdcp screens and only 950 graphics, so the video processing has to be done by the cpu. Which is fine since they're both fast enough to do it.

I've been hoping that they'd drop the hdcp requirement and make the s/w decide at runtime whether to use a gpu if one is available, and cpu if not. Otherwise I hope the beta version keeps running and they dont disable it. Otherwise I'll probably have to buy my wife a new laptop because she watches about half of her tv on the laptop.

I don't get it. This is the 4th version that I have DL'ed and I still get the same error: "DIRECTV2PC cannot connect to the receiver. The protected content cannot be played back at this time." Anyone? No matter what I try and play, I get the same error. Also, I do pass all the pre-install tests. Any help!? Thanks!

I don't get it. This is the 4th version that I have DL'ed and I still get the same error: "DIRECTV2PC cannot connect to the receiver. The protected content cannot be played back at this time." Anyone? No matter what I try and play, I get the same error. Also, I do pass all the pre-install tests. Any help!? Thanks!

Ok, well... 5 mins later. After disabling ALL VMware network drivers, all is well. I guess DTV/Cyberlink has a problem with VMware network drivers.

I don't see the HDCP requirement going away, a sticking point for the content providers.

I honestly didnt either, but how are they going to pull off HDCP compliance with dual monitors? Does it require that the external be an HDMI/HDCP compliant connection?

I do really understand the drive for content protection, but is it really valuable to produce complex features that only 10-20% of the customer base can actually use over the next 2 or more years??

good evening,

i have been using v5102 without fail on both my desktop and laptop. tonight when i ventured in to watch True Blood, as i do every sunday, neither would play it. i got the dreaded "DIRECTV2PC cannot connect to the receiver. The protected content cannot be played back at this time" error.

i installed the advisor for v5514 listed in the top post; both passed and i installed v5514. alas, the same error. perhaps something has happened on directv's end within the past few days? maybe i tried on a buggy night? i have no VMware drivers installed. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
leann

Have you tried rebooting the receiver and computer, wait a few minutes, then trying again?

Generally that means the receiver just isn't cooperating right then (as it is a beta feature)

How long does it take to get a serial number back from Directv? I applied last night and still nothing. I ran a hard wire to my home theatre for my PS3 and decided to take advantage of it and also hooked it to my sat receiver. I figure I amy as well play with this now but I can't install without the ser#.

Try again, sometimes it doesn't work on first try. You will want to let the download of the version from direct's site go too, otherwise it may not send the email.

Yep, they got fancy with the serial number dispenser. It doesnt mail you the serial number until after the full software download is completed. Even though you dont want that version.

Bonus: its a slow download too.

I dont know I just signed up and cannot activate it..It says to reactive, I keep doing it and nothing, so as usual something does not work right with this company.

I went back and tried this again yesterday. I went through all the d/l's and I still have not received a serial #. I have checked and it is not being blocked by my ISP spam filter either. Maybe my 100.00 per month I give D* is not enough to "qualify" for the Beta program. (And yes, I know that is not the case)

I was told that I expired the amount of times I can use my serial number, so it no longer works. I had to reformat my laptop, so I guess I can't use Directv2PC any more?

I have a Dell 24" DVI monitor. I don't think it is HDCP but my video card is. I have found the best test for HDCP compatibility is to download Cyberlink's BD Advisor. Lots of Nvidia PCIe cards say they are HDTV ready when they aren't. They must have an HDCP chip on board. I finally switched to ATI cards for both an AGP box and my PCIe box.

I learned all this setting up an old P4 board to stream Netflix. It just skates by being BD capable. It even passed 5.1 sound. It streamed Netflix great until I went from XP downgrading it to Vista. Now Netflix is jerky and I lost 5.1 on media that support it. Vista Media Center forced a Silverlight install which may be my Netflix problem.

Sorry I wandered off topic a bit but Microsoft's DRM and HDCP are a nightmare. HDCP must be present in every link of the chain or it will fail. BD Advisor will tell you which link is broken.

Attached are my BD Advisor results. As you can see I pass HDCP but can't play BD's as I don't have a BD drive or BD software on my PC.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 328
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts