DirecTV's EXTRA INNINGS Is Short-Changing Yankees Fans

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drorb

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2004
Port Charlotte, FL
Most Yankees games are available from the YES Network, but several times each month they switch to a New York OTA channel, My9. The announcers, and pretty much everything else, are from YES.

Until this season, the EXTRA INNINGS package included the My9 programming when it replaced YES. Today marks the first game on My9 and the EXTRA INNINGS package isn't carrying it. True, the opponent's broadcast on MASM *is* available, but Yankees fans don't want to have to endure the opponent's announcers and cut-aways.

DirecTV's advertising for EXTRA INNINGS touts its cheaper cost this season. It also seems to be less valuable.

I'm a life long Yankee fan. Personally I would consider it a benefit to not have to listen to Michael Kay. He is horrible.

maybe, they don't have enough room for it right now, remember yesterday we just are first Toronto Blue Jays Sport One broadcast

good point Jason....forgot hockey is running longer this year ;)
Also with the masters they have those "extra channels" so there is some more bandwidth taken

What if that game that's on MY9 was on YES instead? Wouldn't it be carried by EI? I don't see how bandwidth is the issue.

Most Yankees games are available from the YES Network, but several times each month they switch to a New York OTA channel, My9. The announcers, and pretty much everything else, are from YES.

Until this season, the EXTRA INNINGS package included the My9 programming when it replaced YES. Today marks the first game on My9 and the EXTRA INNINGS package isn't carrying it. True, the opponent's broadcast on MASM *is* available, but Yankees fans don't want to have to endure the opponent's announcers and cut-aways.

DirecTV's advertising for EXTRA INNINGS touts its cheaper cost this season. It also seems to be less valuable.

You seem to have a short memory. :)

EI did not include OTA feeds until 2008-ish.

"Enduring the opponent's announcers and cut-aways" is pretty much a non-problem compared to some other teams. Like fans of the Oakland A's who do not televise weekday day games at all?

Before DirecTV had dual feeds, they used YES even for away games (they defaulted to the home feed for everybody else)

Yankee fans are in no position to complain, especially when so many of their games continue to be televised nationally despite having a mediocre team.

What if that game that's on MY9 was on YES instead? Wouldn't it be carried by EI? I don't see how bandwidth is the issue.
The difference is YES is a CONUS channel and is already up so all they have to do is remap it from 631 to the EI channel
My9 is a spotbeamed channel so Directv has to remap it to a CONUS slot.....and if all are taken for other sports then they don't put it in there

I always thought OTA stations were the last one EI used unless there was no other option.

The difference is YES is a CONUS channel and is already up so all they have to do is remap it from 631 to the EI channel
My9 is a spotbeamed channel so Directv has to remap it to a CONUS slot.....and if all are taken for other sports then they don't put it in there

I always thought OTA stations were the last one EI used unless there was no other option.

Ah, I never thought of that. Good call Ice!

Is it possible that DirecTV no longer has the rights to show the My 9 feed? The past three seasons they showed the My 9 feeds from the beginning of the season despite all of the NBA and NHL games going on, so bandwidth may not be the issue. Haven't seen much of the Phillies feeds this year either.

Is it possible that DirecTV no longer has the rights to show the My 9 feed? The past three seasons they showed the My 9 feeds from the beginning of the season despite all of the NBA and NHL games going on, so bandwidth may not be the issue. Haven't seen much of the Phillies feeds this year either.

Yes, it is quite possible ...

I was thinking that it was probably a contract issue as well.

Consider this the obligatory "This would be solved if Directv had a superstation pack" post. That is true, however. Switch CWe and CWw to WPIX and KTLA, and add My9 nationally as a DNS My Network. Superstations are the only significant advantage Dish has over Directv.

I just find it kinda odd that the only Yankees games that you CAN'T see on Directv (for now) are the only ones you CAN see on Dish! Go Red Sox!

I'm done.

Consider this the obligatory "This would be solved if Directv had a superstation pack" post. That is true, however. Switch CWe and CWw to WPIX and KTLA, and add My9 nationally as a DNS My Network. Superstations are the only significant advantage Dish has over Directv.

I just find it kinda odd that the only Yankees games that you CAN'T see on Directv (for now) are the only ones you CAN see on Dish! Go Red Sox!

I'm done.

Except you CAN'T see the rest of the E.I. games on Dish.

I doubt it is contract related because we've also seen less feeds from Toronto and other markets that are not on the normal RSNs that DirecTV carries every day.

I think it is bandwith, they have channels dedicated to the masters, NHL, NBA, EI all at the same time. With that, many RSNs are requiring plus or alternate feeds too, as they carry multiple sports. With a bandwith crunch the first thing to go will be secondary feeds in the premium packages that are "not essential", meaning they have the other teams broadcast up anyway.

I see no reason to believe that with the recent advertising promoting home/away feeds and the past few seasons that we will not see this go back to normal in a few weeks, early May at the latest.

Except you CAN'T see the rest of the E.I. games on Dish.

Right. The only games you see on Dish are the My9 games. The only games we're currently not seeing on Directv are the My9 games...

Edit: I realize now that you meant the rest of the EI games to be for all the teams - which is also true. And sad. Unless you only watch Pac12 sports, I don't know how a sports fan can tolerate Dish. Yankees fans are spoiled anyway, as mentioned earlier. You don't need an idiot saying "see ya" to watch a game... Watch the MASN feed.

I'm seeing the MY9 games, but I'm in Yankee territory. The local MY station carries them.

I doubt it is contract related because we've also seen less feeds from Toronto and other markets that are not on the normal RSNs that DirecTV carries every day.

I think it is bandwith, they have channels dedicated to the masters, NHL, NBA, EI all at the same time. With that, many RSNs are requiring plus or alternate feeds too, as they carry multiple sports. With a bandwith crunch the first thing to go will be secondary feeds in the premium packages that are "not essential", meaning they have the other teams broadcast up anyway.

I see no reason to believe that with the recent advertising promoting home/away feeds and the past few seasons that we will not see this go back to normal in a few weeks, early May at the latest.

In normal years, the NHL is pretty much over by now.

In normal years, the NHL is pretty much over by now.

NHL has what another 2 weeks ?
Yes thats about a week longer than normal, the NHL usually wraps up in the 2nd week of April I think for the regular season, however the playoffs would start right after that and are always on the local RSN for the 1 and I think 2nd round as well, which is also using the RSN's for the feeds, so no bandwidth is really freed up till after the NHL goes off the RSN's. (C.I. is also fed from the local rsn's)

but in the playoffs not every team is in it (yeah I know...insert joke here) so those few extra feeds can make a big difference

I'm done.

well they don't remap wgn america hd to EI but they do remap? wgn america? in SD to EI.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts