DirecTV's Plans for 2006/2007

Status
Please reply by conversation.
vurbano said:
...the typical consumer will go with the provider that can offer them the fastest internet package...

The typical consumer might, but that is really a generalization. I have DSL and am completely satisfied with it as are many of my friends and family. The DSL speed isn't cable modem speeds, but its a heckuva lot cheaper (In my area, I pay $14.95 a month for the DSL. The lowest cable internet is $42.95 w/modem and you have to have cable service). If D* offers their internet service at a price competitive to the DSL I have now, I would be very interested.

Last edited:
same here, proc. Also helps that my local cable company (cablevision) is the antichrist. :) Their internet service is fantastic, but very expensive.

I am thrilled with the news. I was so mad after the CES, I actually started to think about switching, but not now. D* has really stepped up to the plate now. I would like to thank Scott and everyone here for the news. It is information like that that makes satellite guys the BEST forum on the net. Keep up the good work.

Funny thing here - one very big shoe hasn't dropped yet - the formal delivery of Spaceway 2. Given this press release, I would expect it VERY soon.

yup, agreed - only said because it would be almost enron-ish irresponsible to go to your roadshow with this kind of info and have SII hanging over your head :)

vurbano said:
At 5Mbps they have already lost the battle IMO. MINIMUM cable download speeds are going to 5Mps down and 2Mbps up with the highest package at 15Mbps down and 2 Mbps up in my area. I guess D* will really be competing against DSL or areas not serviced by cable. But this "bundling to compete against cable" is a flawed plan. Internet service via Verizon or cable vs D* will still be a no brainer at that speed. Unless they can find a way to get to 15Mbps they should forget it. IMO given a choice, the typical consumer will go with the provider that can offer them the fastest internet package even if they do subscribe to a mid tier package just to have more options available if they decide they want it. ANd given that much of it will be wireless, I highly doubt it will be as reliable as that copper cable.

I agree with you on the reliablity issue completely, but proc is also correct.
How much speed do you really need? I get 5Mbps+ from Cox internet, but
I don't really need that much. It is nice to have, but not really necessary.

dragon002 said:
hancox,

i think it will be all one big bang. spaceway 2 lighting up, new channels etc.

Don't say Big Bang when your talking about Satellite Launches. A real Big Bang for a Satellite Launch could set the company back years.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Don't say Big Bang when your talking about Satellite Launches. A real Big Bang for a Satellite Launch could set the company back years.

Scott can you shut your mouth about that okay. Don't start knocking on wood.:D

Oh and Scott your Avatar is driving me fricking mad.

LonghornXP said:
DirecTV will be working to offer high speed internet service in all the US via Wimax to start with. Now think about the one wire installation solution. Now think about a new dish having an antenna built-in to it. Now think about a powerline ethernet adapter to replace the phone line requirement. Now think about this powerline network connecting directly to the new one wire multiswitch.

LonghornXP, that sounds great. I hope they also can work out something that will allow you Internet access while traveling, or on business. That is my big problem now, with getting Internet service through my cable company is great while at home but a problem while traveling. I have a small web site business and have to be able to upload changes to web site from where ever I am. Now I have to use Bellsouth DSL and I do have dial up access to their service, when in their coverage area, which I have found out is very scattered. I have to keep a second national dial up account, to be able to keep my web sites up to date, while on the road.

Having their service with Nationwide access, would be the ticket for me. Hope their system will allow this.

LonghornXP said:
Scott can you shut your mouth about that okay. Don't start knocking on wood.:D

Oh and Scott your Avatar is driving me fricking mad.

what avatar?? that really isnt him??!! hell i thought he mind melded with the computer and became part of the machine.....LOL:)

Proc said:
The HD DVR will be a "free" lease if you have a good credit score?

Yes that caught my eye too. Also that professional DVR. is that to be a actual Pre/Pro device or just a DBS DVR?

edit:
Ok just saw on slide 96, we will still get charged 250 upfront for the HD-DVR. That sucks. How is this better again? (compared to cable, not the 1000 that some paid for the HD-Tivo)

Last edited:
Hey everyone, glad to see there is something happening that has got everyone excited and once again has Vurbano chanting "Secrets, Lies and Doom". (kidding V, I always enjoy your input)

But.....To be honest with you all ...I went through the entire document and for me, the type of guy that likes to sit down and watch great stuff and say lookat the pretty picture I just didn't get it. In laymans english what does this all mean regarding, HD Content and Picture Quality which is what most of us want?

I too am excited about several items in the newsletter. One question though. What are D*'s plans for HD multicasts? My local HD multicasts are great, they show local news, local weather, and best of all more sports. For example last night RJ had split coverage for 2 ACC games. Our local channel showed NC State v UNC but I also go to watch FSU v Maryland on the multicast channel. Very cool for me. My HD reception is not the best so I would really like to see the multicast channels on D* one day like our local Time Warner cable does.

raoul5788 said:
I agree with how much speed does someone need. MOST consumers that have high speed internet won't know the difference from 3megs down to 5 megs down to 15 megs down.

I listened to the webcast and they expanded a bit on the slides in the PDF.
• New HD DVR with interactive this summer
• Reduce size, weight, cost of new dish, looks better… end of this year
• A couple national channels this year, major roll out next year with new sat.
• HD locals- 70 markets by the end of the year
• New product- professional grade receiver for high end systems (systems that cost $25,000+)
• Broadband delivery of video
• Very briefly talked about not having to run lines from dish- New technology will reuse existing cable wires without having to make dedicated lines from dish
• Power-line technology so that only one box needs phone line
• Hard Drive expansion, next year
• Diagnostic tools on boxes, call home to directv so they can contact consumer before it becomes an issue
• New integrated tvs, 1 month or 2
• Windows media centers later this year, will support HD, also xbox

raoul5788 said:

well, I have 3 computers with internet access, 2 xboxes with internet access, VOIP, one internet stereo reciever, one Linkplayer with internet access and 2 Pocket Pc's with internet access all on a gigabit network. I want as much bandwidth as I can get.By the time D* gets this thing running in 2007 it will be more common to have 2 computers and VOIP. I dont think 5mbps really cuts it when your online surfing and your kid is downloading music or trying to play online games.

Tonedeaf said:
I agree with how much speed does someone need. MOST consumers that have high speed internet won't know the difference from 3megs down to 5 megs down to 15 megs down.

Most people that think they are getting 15 mbps don't realize they are actually less than that. My Cablevision 15mbps runs at about 6-8 at both my home and work computers.

My 15MBPS COX Internet service tests out around 17MBPS most of the time, I can't complign about that.

vurbano said:
well, I have 3 computers with internet access, 2 xboxes with internet access, VOIP, one internet stereo reciever, one Linkplayer with internet access and 2 Pocket Pc's with internet access all on a gigabit network. I want as much bandwidth as I can get.By the time D* gets this thing running in 2007 it will be more common to have 2 computers and VOIP. I dont think 5mbps really cuts it when your online surfing and your kid is downloading music or trying to play online games.

Ahh yes, say hello to our friend Mr. Latency :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts