Direcway BUC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Techfizzle

Banned
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
How many watts is the Band Upconverter in a Direcway Dish?

In the spring I want to do a uplink project to hopefully bounce video off a unused transponder on a satellite

the DIrectway dish is an internet dish and would only transmit from specific sats (ya have to be subscribed to the internet through them to upload)....its not a uplink transmitter.

I doubt you've secured (or would be able to secure) the rights to the transponder time and have licensed authority to operate a transmitter on the necessary frequencies. I also doubt you are certified to install two way satellite communications equipment, an absolute requirement if you are in the US.

The RF at these frequencies is rather dangerous. Don't play with transmitters unless you're certified.

im not trying to be captian midnight, If it works it for a few minutes and its on a UNUSED transponder so it will not interupt anything

you have to RESERVE transponder space.....you cant just beam up something on an unused TP...what part of ILLEGAL dont you get??

You are suggesting something so completely irresponsible it's difficult to justify the time I have already spent on this.

Someone correct me if my understanding is mistaken, but unused transponders are off. There is a closed loop around repeating on a transponder which involves telemetry and command uplinks to the satellite, interactively set and monitored by the satellite owner. You simply won't be able to do it.

You will likely be off focus, or your beamwidth will be too wide, or your cross-pol will be horrible, or your harmonics will be violating emission standards. Even worse, any combination of the above. You will interfere with something. At which point, you'll be liable to prison time and multiple thousands of dollars in fines from the FCC.

I've heard that the directway's are not powerful enough. There's a 1500 watter out there you can try. I was told to test it you have to fire it up and put your hand right in front of the lnbf. Once you come back from the hospital, you are ready for the next steps...

I doubt seriously the output would be more than 4W... probably not even more than 2...
Heck, 8 is considered harmful... but I haven't studied on this subject.
I can't fathom a 'project' that's worth risking serious prison time as well as high $ fines...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts