DIRT - Trying to cancel service

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

N6BY

Geek
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Roseville, CA 121W
Hello. I have called twice to cancel my Dish TV service, once on Aug 2nd and again on Aug. 17th. Despite promises to carry out my request, I still have service that I no longer want. I simply don't have time anymore to watch TV.

DIRT - Please contact me to help me cancel my service. Thank you for your help with this!

Brett Casebolt

Dirt cannot cancel accounts, but if you want a written evidence of it, you can access the chat support on mydish.com. Once logged in, ask for the loyalty chat support. They can get you cancelled and you will have a log for the cancellation request as well

Problem is you're calling a Colorado company which is two party consent, and is not something that will be held up in any civil suit. Actually, because dish is in a different state, there could possibly be a lawsuit for that against the customer. Not saying it would ever get there, but the possibility is real.

Problem is you're calling a Colorado company which is two party consent, and is not something that will be held up in any civil suit. Actually, because dish is in a different state, there could possibly be a lawsuit for that against the customer. Not saying it would ever get there, but the possibility is real.

Colorado is not a two party consent state do your due diligence.

these are the only two party consent states

California
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Illinois
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Montana
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Washington

"Criminal purpose. Federal law requires only one-party consent to the recording and disclosure of a telephone conversation, but explicitly does not protect the taping if it is done for a criminal or tortious purpose."

If for the purpose of suing, it is tortious, thus far not covered by the 1-party consent on wire tapping laws. So I would offer the same advice. Not to mention it does also go Into about crossing state lines, regardless of the consent laws. Lastly, it does offer that all of this could still be thrown out for specifics and only way to know for sure would be to contact an attorney, to see if you are in the clear

"Criminal purpose. Federal law requires only one-party consent to the recording and disclosure of a telephone conversation, but explicitly does not protect the taping if it is done for a criminal or tortious purpose."

If for the purpose of suing, it is tortious, thus far not covered by the 1-party consent on wire tapping laws. So I would offer the same advice. Not to mention it does also go Into about crossing state lines, regardless of the consent laws. Lastly, it does offer that all of this could still be thrown out for specifics and only way to know for sure would be to contact an attorney, to see if you are in the clear

pulled this from a law firm site

Colorado – Recording or intercepting a telephone conversation, or any electronic communication, without the consent of at least one party to the conversation is a felony. Recording a communication from a cordless telephone, however, is a misdemeanor. However, nothing in these statutes “shall be interpreted to prevent a news agency, or an employee thereof, from using the accepted tools and equipment of that news medium in the course of reporting or investigating a public and newsworthy event.” Additionally, a person may use wiretapping or eavesdropping devices on his own premises for security or business purposes, if reasonable notice of the use of such devices is given to the public.

when you call Dish there is a recording that says for training and quality purposes this call may be monitored or recorded.

if Dish is doing it, then you can too.

Please, lets not turn this into a legal debate. I just want to cancel my service and two phone calls have failed to achieve this. Can anyone help me?

Reactions: navychop
So then with your own statement they would have to give reasonable notice of it's use.
dish does it because they operate in all 50 states.
one party consent means any one person who is in the conversation can record without notifying the other party.
what the law means is that a third party cannot covertly record a conversation with out notifying one of the parties that they are being recorded.

Not on here. Your best bet is to go to mydish.com and select the chat options. That way you have time stamps and transcripts. The loyalty department and thre office of the president are the only two offices that are capable of cancellation. And to get to the OOP you have to talk to loyalty first(unless that has changed).

Please, lets not turn this into a legal debate. I just want to cancel my service and two phone calls have failed to achieve this. Can anyone help me?
like I said record the phone call so that you have a record or do the customer chat and grab screen shots and if dish doesnt cancel after they said they would then you file a complaint with your state attorney generals office.

I haven't seen many posts where DISH didn't follow through on a cancellation but no doubt it happens. As for recording, I'm missing the big deal here, tell them you are recording before you start, then repeat that you told them you are recording when you start. In some states once one person says they are recording, the other is covered if they record as obviously both know a recording is taking place. Depends on the wording of the statute.

Paying by check with "Cancel all services at time of cashing check" is a legal form of cancellation. Similar to writing "Cashing agrees to Final payment" when you know you are indeed making a final payment. (May not work if it is obvious you owe more but would stop cold any further charges beyond that check)

Brett, try calling Dish again and ask if they have a record of you requesting the two cancellations. Tell them you aren't paying for anything past August 2nd.

Reactions: bspei and Tampa8
Thanks everyone. They finally cancelled the service a little while ago.

Now I just need the box they promised to send so I can return the receiver. They also want the LNB, which is going to require a 30 foot ladder!

DIRT: Can you send me a box to return the receiver and a 30 foot ladder so I can get that LNB?

(Just kidding about the ladder, DIRT, can you just send me a box and waive the LNB return requirement?)

If you are unable to retrieve the LNB safely, don't worry about it. They really only fully expect the receiver and remote return. Do t return the reciever, and you'll be charged the LNB fee too. It's one of those "gotcha" kinda things

Now I just need the box they promised to send so I can return the receiver. They also want the LNB, which is going to require a 30 foot ladder!

DIRT: Can you send me a box to return the receiver and a 30 foot ladder so I can get that LNB?

(Just kidding about the ladder, DIRT, can you just send me a box and waive the LNB return requirement?)
tell them to send a tech to get the lnb because you are not climbing on a ladder, they will say keep it.

A box is automatically sent when you cancel service. If you are unable to return the LNB, please do not worry about it. So long as you send the receiver(s) back you will not be charged for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)