Disable remote sensor on Toshiba TRX-1420?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Is it possible to disable the remote sensor on a Toshiba TRX-1420?

I have two of these and now that my C-Band dish is set up, I'm going to hook both up. But since they'll be in the same area, the remote will control both (one didnt have a remote to begin with) but I dont want both to change channels. I want to manually control one

I figure since this is an oldr unit, maybe there are just plugs or something to pull to disaable the remote.....or should I do the duct tape over the sensor?

Iceberg said:
Is it possible to disable the remote sensor on a Toshiba TRX-1420?

I have two of these and now that my C-Band dish is set up, I'm going to hook both up. But since they'll be in the same area, the remote will control both (one didnt have a remote to begin with) but I dont want both to change channels. I want to manually control one

I figure since this is an oldr unit, maybe there are just plugs or something to pull to disaable the remote.....or should I do the duct tape over the sensor?

IR or RF remote ?

Wyr

I'm thinking that when these things came out, they didn't consider someone having 2 sitting near each other or for that matter someone having 2 of them. I've got the 1520 and I don't recall seeing anything about setting up remote id's. There's a 1420 manual that you can download here:

http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/ConsumerProductSupport/Manuals/Satellite/trx1420.pdf

but I think your best bet is to Macgyver the thing with the duct tape and be done with it.

Mike

Wyr
Its an IR remote....the 1520 is UHF

mike...you're right. They didnt think someone would have two of them. But when they are cheap to pick up (and easy to set up) what the heck :)
(use to have a TRX1520 but PSB has that now)

I'll do the duct tape theory and see how that works

Tony, I know how you feel. Having a 4dtv and then getting Voom, the units were made by Motorola and had the same signals. The Voom was an IR remote and the 4dtv was UHF. I wound up putting an antenna on the Voom to use the UHF remote in another room for Voom. Then, I would leave one off while using the other one.

Al

remote sensor disable

Hey Iceberg, i did this on a vcr once. Take the receiver cabinet apart and near the front panel find the infrared receiver. It should have either 2 or 3 conductor legs coming from it. You can carefully cut one of the legs with an exacto knife or something that will get you to it without damage to the leg or board. Then run a 26 or 28 awg wire from each leg and then drill the cabinet somewhere convienient for a micro toggle switch from your local ratshack. You can disable the IR receiver by breaking the circuit with the switch.

Simply turn the switch to "ON" for remote operation and "Off" for front paney control only.

I have never did this on a Toshiba receiver or any satellite receiver so this is only a comparison of my experience with a VCR back when i used to run several VCR's at one time that were of the same brand and i had remote interference problems.

Sometimes the duct tape does not work because i have had IR signals pass through the tape.

You will need a small pencil type soldering iron 15 watt and some solder.

truckracer said:
Hey Iceberg, i did this on a vcr once. Take the receiver cabinet apart and near the front panel find the infrared receiver. It should have either 2 or 3 conductor legs coming from it. You can carefully cut one of the legs with an exacto knife or something that will get you to it without damage to the leg or board. Then run a 26 or 28 awg wire from each leg and then drill the cabinet somewhere convienient for a micro toggle switch from your local ratshack. You can disable the IR receiver by breaking the circuit with the switch.

Simply turn the switch to "ON" for remote operation and "Off" for front paney control only.

I have never did this on a Toshiba receiver or any satellite receiver so this is only a comparison of my experience with a VCR back when i used to run several VCR's at one time that were of the same brand and i had remote interference problems.

Sometimes the duct tape does not work because i have had IR signals pass through the tape.

With the exception of buying the switch at rat shack and no duct tape, this is a much more MacGyver like solution. :D

voomvoom said:
Tony, I know how you feel. Having a 4dtv and then getting Voom, the units were made by Motorola and had the same signals. The Voom was an IR remote and the 4dtv was UHF. I wound up putting an antenna on the Voom to use the UHF remote in another room for Voom. Then, I would leave one off while using the other one.

Al

Al
I had 2 Dish receivers and 2 StarChoice receivers in the same area so I know how that is....thank goodness on the SC units I can switch remote "addresses"

truckracer said:

That just might work :)

duct tape-check
15 watt solder iron-check
switch-radio shack is a block away :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts