Disappointed with HD vs DVD movies

If you're talking about the other posts in this thread, yes I read them all. And none of the previous posts deal with the question of source material for the HD transfer. Thanks for your answer though. :) Is this the way ALL films presented in HD on Satellite/Cable are transfered? I.E. transfered in HD from original film and no other upconverted source?
cameron119 said:
First of all they can't use DVD for the HD source. It is not HD.

Second, what do you suppose the source for the DVD is? Film. The directors FILM the movie since most of them are purists. The only master is 35mm Film in most large budget movies.

To answer your question, the only way to get true HD is to record it live or transfer it from film. Anything else is upconversion.

Did you attempt to read any of the previous posts?

If the master of the film is actual film, then yes. If they don't have access to the film or any other HD source, they can't call it true HD.

There are a few movies that are shot with HD digital cameras and film. This isn't a popular practice with most big name directors yet. The biggest difference between the HD digital and the film is the graininess that is inherent to film. The resolution of film is extremely high...so its perfect for an HD transfer.

I seem to remember that a lot of the HD transfers of newer movies (for HBO and such) were actually drawn from the final digital run of the movie. Keeping in mind that most newer movies (sci-fi and action especially) are not even 'filmed' on film anymore, since they are then simply brought into a computer to do the final editing and special effects, and then printed to film for distribution. In fact, if I recall correctly, most of the principal shooting for Ep II was done with a Sony HDC-F950 HD camera. 1920x1080 16:9 camera.

As for the stuttering found in some movies, a lot of time this will happen on scenes with a lot of rapid changes on the screen (like a fight scene, or any action scene)... even a sudden chop scene change can cause it. The problem here is actually the fact that the signals we get are not perfect. A lot of error correction has to occur on the MPEG-2 stream, and the more motion is involved, the more data it actually takes per frame, and the more impact errors have on the final output.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)