Disassembled PrimeStar LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

soonersat

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
Norman Oklahoma
My disassembled PrimeStar LNB shows the number 965171345 stamped inbetween the V and H Outputs. Q.- Can I simply output these two into a 3 by 4 switch, ( or similiar), and input that to the receiver for FTA? I'm trying to be cheap... suggestions?.. thanks..

Iceberg,
A Primstar dish w/the lnb will work on the FTA?????
Norman

PS Is that your REAL picture?

yes the Primestar LNB will work. Its KU band so it will work. There is a few of us that use Primestar dishes for FTA. There are 2 models of the LNB
-single output
-"dual" output but each output wasx one polarity. So if you hooked it to one output, it was H polarity and the other was V

I like these 2 output ones because I can use a multiswitch to run more than 1 receiver off of it or I can put high frequency splitters on the outputs and run multiple receivers off one polarity.

Can someone use legacy lnbf's with the multi-switches (some that were used on DirecTv - the 4 ways and 8 ways) to do the same thing as you described Iceberg - to run the outputs into the multiswitch and use high frequency splitters to run multiple receivers? Or can this not be done due to the circular polarization? I just acquired a number of new 4 way and 8 way switches (some require power adapters that I also have) and trying to figure out what these can be used for. I thought about either selling them or maybe try to sell some FTA systems and use them for those.

yes you can. I have put 2x4 (3x4) multiswitches on Legacy LNB's to give me 4 outputs (use to do that when I subscribed to Dish)....

circular polarity is the same setup as V/H polarity

R=V
L=H

Legacy Duals work great with 3x4, 3x8 etc DirecTv multisiwtches. You just need to hook both lines from the LNB to the multiswitch

I knew that you could hookup both lines from a dual lnbf to the switch to get four outputs but was curious about the splitters afterwards. I saw a good while back when Primestar was still around how they just used a splitter on each wire of the dual coming from the Primestar lnbf to feed a second receiver.

Stargazer said:
I knew that you could hookup both lines from a dual lnbf to the switch to get four outputs but was curious about the splitters afterwards. I saw a good while back when Primestar was still around how they just used a splitter on each wire of the dual coming from the Primestar lnbf to feed a second receiver.

The splitters are just standard satellite splitters, one leg passes power. There was some even used up to a four way.

Tron said:
Splitters work perfectly if you are not changing polarity, or have two LNBs each dedicated to one polarity.

with separate H/V on the lnb, using the spiltters is easy to do. The main receiver always passed power to the lnb.

yep. Those 2 ouput (each same polarity) Primestar LNB's work great with high frequency splitters...no need to goof up polarity

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)