Diseqc and 22khz switches at end of 160 foot RG6 runs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

thisBUDsforyou

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
I have a T90 toroidal set up on my garage roof and about 160 feet of RG6 from the garage to the receivers in the house. All of the LNB's are hooked up to grounding blocks and grounded to a pipe driven about six feet into the ground out at the garage. I have a CS5000 that does diseqc 1.1 hooked up to a Digiwave uncommitted switch out at the garage with 8 ports that works fine.

Unfortunately with another receiver that does diseqc 1.0 but not 1.1 I'm having problems getting switches to work. 22khz switches out at the garage work fine, but when I try to put a regular old 4X1 diseqc 1.0 switch out there it doesn't work. The switch is a Chieta heavy duty; it works fine when connected by a ten foot cable to the receiver and then the 160 feet out to the garage but not when installed out at the garage. So my guess is that the problem is attenuation of the diseqc signal after the long cable run. Is there any way to get the Chieta to work after 160 feet? Is there a power booster that will amplify the diseqc commands?

When I did the install I buried 6 coax lines out to the garage thinking that would be plenty - one line per receiver. If I had to do it over again knowing what I know now I would have laid at least a dozen lines out there with the idea that I can get two LNB's per line using 22khz switches out at the garage. Laying more lines out to the garage is much too much work.

The other thing I'm considering is putting a motorized out there but now I'm wondering if motor commands will work after 160 feet. Anyone know?

Thanks for reading my post and for any suggestions on what to try next.

I'm partially confused

I have a T90 toroidal set up on my garage roof and about 160 feet of RG6 from the garage to the receivers in the house. All of the LNB's are hooked up to grounding blocks and grounded to a pipe driven about six feet into the ground out at the garage. I have a CS5000 that does diseqc 1.1 hooked up to a Digiwave uncommitted switch out at the garage with 8 ports that works fine.
Unfortunately with another receiver that does diseqc 1.0 but not 1.1 I'm having problems getting switches to work. 22khz switches out at the garage work fine, but when I try to put a regular old 4X1 diseqc 1.0 switch out there it doesn't work. The switch is a Chieta heavy duty; it works fine when connected by a ten foot cable to the receiver and then the 160 feet out to the garage but not when installed out at the garage. So my guess is that the problem is attenuation of the diseqc signal after the long cable run. Is there any way to get the Chieta to work after 160 feet? Is there a power booster that will amplify the diseqc commands?
SO the CS5000 works fine with the setup but not another box? If that's what you're talking about the reason is those Digiwave 1.1 switches will ONLY work with a box that does Diseqc 1.1...it WILL NOT WORK on a box that doesn't do Diseqc 1.1

As for the length....When I had my T90 I had a 150 foot run with no issues and that was through a 8x1 and a 4x1 diseqc

The other thing I'm considering is putting a motorized out there but now I'm wondering if motor commands will work after 160 feet. Anyone know?
should be fine....there are folks on here doing that right now

I'm partially confused

SO the CS5000 works fine with the setup but not another box? If that's what you're talking about the reason is those Digiwave 1.1 switches will ONLY work with a box that does Diseqc 1.1...it WILL NOT WORK on a box that doesn't do Diseqc 1.1
Digiwave 1.1 works with the CS5000 but the Chieta 1.0 doesn't work with another box. So the issue is finding a solution for the other box.

try the chieta on the cs5000.

I use chieta 4x1's in my setup, they are quite reliable, I will say though that I have a higher doa rate from chieta's then any other brand of switch Ive ever used. but if they work ... they'll keep working for a long time. chieta's seem to have a good design, just no quality control testing before shipping them out.

I had the same sort of problems with long cable runs. RG11 fixed it all, no more inconsistencies from one box to another, it just works.

Man oh man I wish I had known this a coupla months ago when I had a big trench dug between the house and the garage. That was a lot of work and at least for now I'm gonna make do with the RG6 lines I have. I haven't tried substituting the Chieta 1.0 for the Digiwave 1.1 yet but that might confirm that my CS5000 is better at sending diseqc commands over long runs than my Viewsat is. Anyone have an opinion as to which boxes are best in this kind of situation? Especially boxes that support diseqc 1.1?

Interesting idea. Unfortunately the pictures showing where to solder those 4700 pF capacitors don't seem to be there any more.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts