Disg getting Installed Thursday!

chucksrt

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Bensalem, pa
I am new to Satellite and wasn't sure which co. to go with. The reason I picked Dish was pretty much for Price. $10 to $20 less a month over DTV. I am getting the 811 and a 301 but wanted to know how do I get my locals? When I talked to Dish they told me I would need another dish (free) for locals, but when she told me which channels I would get it ended up being PBS. So where do I get my ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC,etc?? Do they come in over the dish? I want the best Pic. available. So do they come out and just install the Dish, or do they install an OTA HD antenna as well? I just don't want to try to watch the game one day and find it was blacked out through dish but still available OTA via. antenna? I don't know much about how this whole thing works and just want to get the best service I can!
Thanks,
Chuck
Bensalem,Pa

chucksrt said:
I am new to Satellite and wasn't sure which co. to go with. The reason I picked Dish was pretty much for Price. $10 to $20 less a month over DTV. I am getting the 811 and a 301 but wanted to know how do I get my locals? When I talked to Dish they told me I would need another dish (free) for locals, but when she told me which channels I would get it ended up being PBS. So where do I get my ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC,etc?? Do they come in over the dish? I want the best Pic. available. So do they come out and just install the Dish, or do they install an OTA HD antenna as well? I just don't want to try to watch the game one day and find it was blacked out through dish but still available OTA via. antenna? I don't know much about how this whole thing works and just want to get the best service I can!
Thanks,
Chuck
Bensalem,Pa

I thought dish had to stop splitting locals across dishes?

Anyway

your PBS will likely come in off of 61.5 or the other wing bird. Your other locals will likely be on 110 or 119 (I dont remember which but the Dish 500 sees both)

I feel that I must warn you that Locals are by far the most compressed channels on dish (and direct but not as bad in my case). If you want to see your games in HD or with less compression you will need an OTA antenna installed and run to your 811 in some way. The type and size of antenna depends on where you are in relation to your towers.

chucksrt said:
Thanks,
Chuck
Bensalem,Pa
Your 301 won't get locals OTA. Those have to come from the satellite, because it doesn't have an antenna input. If you live close enough to the transmitters, you can get OTA digital stations through the 811 using an antenna (indoors or outdoors, depending on your situation).

Most of the OTA digital stations broadcast in UHF, but there are a few that broadcast in VHF. The Zenith Silver Sensor is a good indoor UHF antenna. As far as I know, Dish installers don't deal with OTA antennas.

chucksrt said:
Thanks,
Chuck
Bensalem,Pa

I have one single dish which gives me all my locals, but the picture quality is lousy. I'm using an antenna to get my HD locals. Dish made it clear that they do not install antennas. Which was kind of annoying because they do tell you you can get HD locals. What they don't tell you is you need to go buy and install your own antenna to do that.

If you can get OTA where you live then you will be much happier as you will also likely get your HD locals which are NOT available on DISH.

You could always go with VOOM. They will install 3 HD boxes for $1 AND provide a free OTA antenna installation at the same time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts