Dish 1000+ at 65 Degrees North

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

arcticracer

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
Fairbanks, Ak.
Dish 500+ in Alaska (Int'l Programming)

Hey folks,

I am in the Fairbanks area and using a True Focus 1.8M on 119 (cause I have it), and a 1 meter on 110. I plan on adding some international channels on 118.7

Through my reading, it looks like I need the DP dual band LNBF to pull this off and plan on putting it on my 1.8M, I'm sure I'll need to modify the mounting point somehow to get it at the focal point. Am I going to have any problem with this LNBF when it comes to F/D ratio? The feed is not designed for this application, but it seems like the best way to make my plan work. I don't know what the F/D is on the usual dishes used with this LNBF.

Is anyone else getting the international programming up here in Alaska? I haven't called any dealers as I always do my own work. I have dishes literally all over the place and could even put up another antenna for 118.7 if I wanted to. Current antenna count is 9 :) I have a DP34 switch, the LNBF is on the way through Ebay.

Am I on the right track? Haven't bothered looking att the 118.7 footprint for my part of Alaska but I think it's a decent signal level.

I have never seen a 500+ LNB, but I have seen pictures getting it to the focal point can be done I'm sure, but it's sort of an odd duck, with those strange scalar rings obviously designed for the eliptical dish. F/D may come into play too. I'm thinking with all the gain I have the "brute force" method should make it play OK. I will find out! Think I will call a dealer and see what they are doing....

I called Dish, they don't offer Int'l programming at all in Alaska. Even though I told them I could make it work, the CSA doesn't have the ability to add it. I would have to use a bogus address as done with some of the folks getting Canadian programming. I hate it when they pop my bubble when i'm trying to do something new....

I called Dish, they don't offer Int'l programming at all in Alaska. Even though I told them I could make it work, the CSA doesn't have the ability to add it. I would have to use a bogus address as done with some of the folks getting Canadian programming. I hate it when they pop my bubble when i'm trying to do something new....

Will you send me your phone number or account number in a PM please (also include what package you wanted to get)?

I know that we can't setup 118.7 installs in AK on our end, but it does say "If customers want international programming, they will need to contact their local retailer", which makes me think I may be able to add it.

Alaska Int'l Programming

Thanks Speedy,

I'll give you a call, I almost went over to the dark side last year to switch providers, they have a solution for International programming in Alaska. I have been happy with my service for the most part as a technician I can easily use my own equipment hopefully they can work with me.

The CSR said no way, she could not set me up her system would not even show the option. Let's talk.

arctic
in alot of cases the CSR's read from a script. They see your account is in Alaska and they pretty much say they cant do anything for you

DIRT can usually see if there is a workaround (as Matt noted). He'll treat ya good :)

You could also go with dishworldiptv.com now with 48 hr rewind/replay, since you have not told us the language I assume it is one of the ones also carried by directv at 95 west. Dish better get moving on adding all the languages if they expect to remove int from 61.5.

Last edited:
It is possible to get international programming in Alaska. However, DISH Network would not install the 118.7 dish. This would have to be self-completed, or done by a retailer

I talked an account manager who called and have decided not to disconnect service I am upgrading to HD with a 722 receiver, and will add the Filipino programming when my LNBF gets here. So here is a summary: 1 meter on 110, 1.8 meter True Focus on 119 that will get a DP dual band LNBF that SHOULD work in my estimation on both 119 and 118.7. Now with HD on the way I need to research what I am missing on 129 and if it would be worthwhile to put another True Focus 1.8M (I have one not in use) on it. Good thing I left the 1.8M on 119.

Does anyone have actual specs on the DP dual band LNBF or has it been tried on a large round dish like I am about to try? F/D is a concern, as is the design of scalar rings. Surgery might be in order to make it play.

Sorry it's taken this long to post my results on my 1.8M True Focus with a Dish Pro dual band LNBF on 118 and 119. My installer was here yesterday, he added a 30" on 129, this along with my existing 1 meter dish on 110 has me up on all 4 satellites 110, 118, 119, 129. I upgraded my receiver to a 722K with HD for life. Signal levels are all above 65 on 118, and into the 70-95 range on 119. 110 runs 60 or better.

My international programming is a Filipino package and comes in great. Dish count did not increase at the farm here, since I took down one old dish (18") to install the 30". Next project? How about a True Focus 1.8 meter offset dish with a "Frankenmount" motorized precision tracking custom polar mount? It will use an old C band 18" actuator.

I'll borrow my wifes camera tomorrow and post some pics. The most interesting part is that the DP dual works great on this dish even though it has elliptical scalar rings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts