Dish 1000+ at 65 Degrees North

Wouldn't want it to be too easy, then the hobby part of TV would disappear. All the time I spent goofing around with getting TV in central Alaska over the years has beeen fun. Everything is non-standard.

Wouldn't want it to be too easy, then the hobby part of TV would disappear. All the time I spent goofing around with getting TV in central Alaska over the years has beeen fun. Everything is non-standard.
I like it and looking forward to pix. I'm going to be posting pix of my non-standard EA set up. It isn't necessary for TX but over the course of time has been fun (more than one version). About to put in a tracking FTA Ku 1m dish but that is for a different forum.

Dish Photos

Here are some pics of my version of an Alaskan Dish 1000+ setup. 1.8M Andersen True Focus on 119 and 118.7, using a DP dual band LNBF from a Dish 500+ system. I stripped the cover off the LNBF, dishes were peaked with a Channel Master meter that I bought off the installer! This is a huge step up from my $15 tuning meters. On 110 is a 1 meter and DP LNB. 129 uses a 30" that the Dish tech installed again DP LNB. The 4 feeds run into a DP44 switch.

Attachments

• S8001933.JPG
    S8001933.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 109
  • S8001925.JPG
    S8001925.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 112
  • S8001926.JPG
    S8001926.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 117
  • S8001929.JPG
    S8001929.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 125
  • S8001930.JPG
    S8001930.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 108
  • S8001932.JPG
    S8001932.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 101
sweet :)

It just looks weird to see dishes aimed like that...although when I watch Alaska State Troopers on Nat Geo and they're out in Nome and such the dishes look even lower

Yeah, it looks like those dishes are aimed at the ground! I bet you don't have to worry as much as the rest of us in the lower 48 do about snow collecting on your dishes!

sweet :)

It just looks weird to see dishes aimed like that...although when I watch Alaska State Troopers on Nat Geo and they're out in Nome and such the dishes look even lower
when I had a dish pointed at 148 it was very low too and the elderly neighbor lady thought I was using it to evesdrop on her as it looked like it was pointed right at her house.:D

Snow will not collect in the dish, or on the feed either since we have real dry snow. Further south they use shields to keep snow off the feed. At work our C band dishes are 99% prime focus, and they DO COLLECT SNOW. We make many trips to the bush to remove snow if the locals don't sweep them out when the long distance goes out!

Snow will not collect in the dish, or on the feed either since we have real dry snow. Further south they use shields to keep snow off the feed. At work our C band dishes are 99% prime focus, and they DO COLLECT SNOW. We make many trips to the bush to remove snow if the locals don't sweep them out when the long distance goes out!
Love the install. I put my custom install on here too. I don't need the gain that you do up there. I just did it for rain fade & the fun of it.

I saw your post, and like your system. So if the dishes are larger than what Dish installs, nothing wrong with that! More gain is always good! Tinkering is a great hobby..... Satellite stuff is a lot like Ham radio in that respect, the groups are a lot alike.

I am able to receive all the transponders from 118.7 with a .75 meter dish and I am in Fairbanks. I think the actual dish500+ would work here okay too. You will have plenty of signal to compensate for the home-made mounting rig.

I saw your post, and like your system. So if the dishes are larger than what Dish installs, nothing wrong with that! More gain is always good! Tinkering is a great hobby..... Satellite stuff is a lot like Ham radio in that respect, the groups are a lot alike.
Yep I get extra gain most talk about getting 40's & 50's with standard equipment I'm in 60's or higher on the larger dishes and 40's on the dish 500.

It's surprising that DISH110 picks up 118.7 on a .75M, my signal levels with my 6' dish is all over 70 on the transponders I can get on 118.7 I never tried a smaller dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)