DISH 2016 CES Press Event

Well I'll probably have to wait until November but I really had to replace a Hopper 2000 that was over three years old in November. The Hopper 3 doesn't sound awesome it is awesome. However part of me is worried that they'll find a way to tack on a fee "per tuner" vs. "per Hopper" because a Hopper 3 would eliminate the need for a second Hopper based on tuner count.

Well I'll probably have to wait until November but I really had to replace a Hopper 2000 that was over three years old in November. The Hopper 3 doesn't sound awesome it is awesome. However part of me is worried that they'll find a way to tack on a fee "per tuner" vs. "per Hopper" because a Hopper 3 would eliminate the need for a second Hopper based on tuner count.

Nope its going to cost what a regular Hopper Costs. You will not see them charge on the number of tuners.

You need to understand that the Hopper 3 is designed to KEEP CUSTOMERS with DISH not drive them away, thus the reason why they are going to be aggressive with getting people upgraded to one who wants one. :)

Something I have been wondering about ever since pictures of the new UI started showing up. Is the Home Media function still going to be on the new Hopper? I have all of my DVD/Blu-Rays ripped to a media server and the whole family uses that feature a lot.

Something I have been wondering about ever since pictures of the new UI started showing up. Is the Home Media function still going to be on the new Hopper? I have all of my DVD/Blu-Rays ripped to a media server and the whole family uses that feature a lot.
Yes it is still there and I am told that some improvements have been made to it. :)

A number of pages back someone asked about the HDMI output resolutions available (ie 480/720/1080i/4K). We know if you are watching 4K content that the H3 is going to output that resolution. But what about when watching normal available content? Previous VIP and Hopper outputs were limited to a high of 1080i, Is this the same with the H3 or is there an option for 1080P or Upscaled to 2160 (4K) ? Hopefully I explained it OK ;).
Gerry

I wonder what chip the H3 is using. We have just found with the announced Blu-ray player releases, it appears many are awaiting the UHD MediaTek chip in the Summer. I'd guess Broadcom must already have a chip for STB's.

They are always complaining about having recording conflicts
Make sure they have PTAT enabled. I've seen that turned off a lot because people "don't want to record all that stuff" but it in fact helps with conflicts, presuming at least some of what they record is off of the big 4 networks.

Highly incorrect.

When you plug in the Hopper 3 in, it turns off DP X mode on the LNB and is only DP Z mode.
Any word on new Hopper3 compatible Internet Connectors? I'm using 3 HIC's to bridge my internet to 2 rooms in my house over the Dish coax.

I (and the wife :) ) would really hate to lose that connectivity. (Yes, I know this use isn't officially supported, but it works for us...)

I wonder what chip the H3 is using. We have just found with the announced Blu-ray player releases, it appears many are awaiting the UHD MediaTek chip in the Summer. I'd guess Broadcom must already have a chip for STB's.

If you can find a recording of the event broadcast on CNET, they listed the specific Broadcom chip and basic specs on one of the presentation slides. I don't recall offhand which chip it was.

Reactions: gadgtfreek
"Hopper 3 is powered by the fastest set-top box processor available, the Broadcom 7445, a quad-core Arm processor, giving the new DVR seven times the speed of Hopper 2."

So, if I remember correctly from the Price Increase thread, a grandfathered hopper is $12 per month, so a person with 2 would pay $24. If a person were to upgrade to the H3 and a joey, he would now pay $22 per month ($15 hopper fee + 7 for a joey), to keep everything equal.

Where is my hat to eat? Granted, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. So maybe no hat eating is required. I doubt many can still believe a 16 tuner receiver.
Nope its going to cost what a regular Hopper Costs. You will not see them charge on the number of tuners.

You need to understand that the Hopper 3 is designed to KEEP CUSTOMERS with DISH not drive them away, thus the reason why they are going to be aggressive with getting people upgraded to one who wants one. :)
The Hopper was tops before and now Dish is releasing this Leviathan of a receiver. Indeed, snatching subs up for two more years and reducing churn is definitely in line with how they are also repricing certain fees on new subs. 16 receivers is just mind boggling.

What does the box have in the back for connections? Can a second screen (if not a second tuner) be hooked up to this?

"Hopper 3 is powered by the fastest set-top box processor available, the Broadcom 7445, a quad-core Arm processor, giving the new DVR seven times the speed of Hopper 2."

Thanks. Glad to see its Broadcom, they have done well in the STB market. I still remember the HR24 model that Directv decided to use NXP (IIRC) and it had PQ issues with an RGB output.

Ok nobody seems to be able to answer if we will be able to upload all the crap from all of our remote controls. I have 3 of them that need to be combined and organized.

Has anyone seen or heard anything from Dish about the max number of timers or if the H3 can support more than one sling connection at a time?