dish 322 combine catv and sat

stinkyweasel

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
right now I currently have a 322 hooked up to two televisions. I also have cable. Since I don't have my distant locals anymore :( I can get a limited basic cable install (channels 2-13, NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, TBS...) for $10.00 month. So here's the question, the sat installer said that you can't have cable and sat together because the receiver doesn't support it. I would think that with di-plexers you should be able to. Am I right? If so how? He his using two diplexors right now, do I need to add a 3rd for the cable? I have about 4 more unused diplexors.

Thanks for the help!!

BTW... the 1st TV is using the RCA inputs from the receiver w/TV set to input 1; TV #2 is up a story in the bedroom using coax connection on chan 73, the locals are on just channels 2-13 so will channel 73 still work?

Install a standard two-way splitter before your diplexor behind the TV. Basically hook the output from TV2 in to one of the out legs on the splitter and hook up your cable line to the other out leg on the splitter. Hook your in leg to the diplexor. This should work and it will basically combine all your signals. You will need to make sure that your Dishnet receiver is not modulating to any of the basic cable channels. Your second tv should now be able to tune all of the locals and your TV2 signal. If you want to keep watching locals on your first tv then connect a splitter to your cable line with the outs going to the TV or your receivers antenna/cable in and the second out leg going to your splitter that's connected to the diplexor. I'd draw a diagram but I'm at work.

Basically, your splitter before the diplexor will be "backwards."

thanks for the quick reply!!! I'm probably going to have to draw myself a picture of this. Are you talking about putting the splitter on TV 1 at the receiver?

Install a standard two-way splitter before your diplexor behind the TV.

I understand that Randalla, but the dish installer is using a diplexer coming straight off the sat on the "sat in" and has my other two televisions on the other side of the diplexer, that's where I'm confused, do I first combine the catv and sat with one diplexer, and then split it out like it's installed or what?

This link from dish is basically how the guy installed it http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/images/pdf/tech/distributionexample2.pdf

so I'm trying to get the catv and sat combined to feed out to two tv's using diplexers. I think I can do it with two more added...

Got you! So he's using diplexers to feed TV2 (Ch. 73). Like cybertrip said, just combine CATV with TV2 with a splitter and then at the TV use another splitter to split the signals.

In that example you posted, just turn the splitter around and combine the CATV and TV2 signals. Then on the other side of the wall use another splitter and split one cable to CATV and the other one to TV2.

Also like cyber said, you will be better off by changing the TV2 output to AIR and play with the channels and see which one works better for you. The reason being is that your cable system might have a channel 73 and both signals will cancel out and you won't get anything. Go to Menu, 6, 1, 5.

ok I couldn't wait till tomorrow so I tried it out and ended up fubaring everything. Here is a pic of how I have everything now, I have a tablet so hope you can read my writing... and 2 minute scribble. feel free to tell me how bad i screwed up and what needs added where.

Attachments

• sat.JPG
    sat.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 255
Got you! So he's using diplexers to feed TV2 (Ch. 73). Like cybertrip said, just combine CATV with TV2 with a splitter and then at the TV use another splitter to split the signals.

In that example you posted, just turn the splitter around and combine the CATV and TV2 signals. Then on the other side of the wall use another splitter and split one cable to CATV and the other one to TV2.

Also like cyber said, you will be better off by changing the TV2 output to AIR and play with the channels and see which one works better for you. The reason being is that your cable system might have a channel 73 and both signals will cancel out and you won't get anything. Go to Menu, 6, 1, 5.

Being that he does have basic cable he probably doesn't have anything above channel 20, if his basic even goes that high. Ours here goes to 22. Alot of basic only goes to 13.

ok I couldn't wait till tomorrow so I tried it out and ended up fubaring everything. Here is a pic of how I have everything now, I have a tablet so hope you can read my writing... and 2 minute scribble. feel free to tell me how bad i screwed up and what needs added where.

heh... good try. let me work on something for you.

This diagram requires a seperate CATV line coming in to the room of the 322 but this would work.

Attachments

• diagram.gif
    diagram.gif
    22.3 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
yes, as long as you have 2 drops in your room with the 322, one for satellite, one for cable.

if you don't have 2 drops I highly recommend that you get a seperate outlet for the cable line. otherwise you will suffer a massive amount of signal loss due to the splitters and diplexors. each splitter and diplexor causes some signal loss. if you have a good cable signal coming in to the house you probably will not notice any problems.

when i worked for the cable company we used to have to run new lines for cable modems for customers that already had satellite untill I started using diplexors and all the techs were like "that won't work!" and I proved them wrong.

after looking there is no way that I can do a seperate run for catv in the room where the 322 is. My house has a dist. center in the basement where the catv and sat come in, along with phone and other stuff... it appears that all the RG6 has been stapled and there is no way to go over and up a story to run another cable without tearing out a ceiling from the basement to the 1st floor. So is there a way you can modify that diagram to show for one cable. My house isn't but about 4 years old, and I know all the cabling is rated 2GHz+ RG6. Right now with the catv they way it is at the dist center is the cable comes into a 6 way splitter with home runs going to each outlet, three stories in all. So the sat is using two of those runs, one for the living room (322 location) and one for the master bedroom, third floor.

Here is a little better picture of how the installer did it, I finally got it figured back out...

Attachments

• TMs.JPG
    TMs.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
That looks correct for the current setup. If you want just one room to have locals you could hook up a splitter between the 2nd bedroom and the diplexor in the basement and hook the catv and the TV2 output on the diplexor to that switch then hook it up to the cable already going to the 2nd room. For both to have cable I'm not sure how that would be implemented. It would take some testing. possible having 2 splitters at the basement diplexor. one splitter to send the catv signal to the living room and one to send the catv signal and tv2 signal to the 2nd room. and hook up a cable between the two splitters to keep the tv2 signal going. However, I'm not sure if this would work. I will have to sketch this out on my white board here at work.

Here is what I came up. This is extremely suseptable to intermod so I don't know if this would work 100%. Try it out if you have the splitters. You might be able to get some free splitters from the cable co.

Attachments

• diagram2.gif
    diagram2.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
i'll have to try that... one TV (TV2/bedroom) is the only one I'm really concerned about getting the catv on. last night i was playing around and managed to get catv up there, but lost the sat, tried playing with the modulator switching between air and cable, probably just did it wrong. I'll try your diagram!!

quick question... is a splitter and combiner the same thing? or are there splitters that are just splitters, not combiners...

finally.... I have got my catv and sat on TV2, thanks everyone for all their help. I believe my problem was that I wasn't using a "good enough" splitter. I bought one that goes up to 3GHz.

I do have one issue however... at first I used a simple set of rabbit ears and came off the back of the TV with the splitter and was able to pick up only my nearest local station (5 miles awy) and it looked great and the dish looked great (ch 73 modulator). However when I have the catv hooked up with the splitter in the basement where the catv comes in and the dish comes in, the catv looks great (ch 2-13), but the sat (ch73) is snowy. Any advice? Can I put an amplifer on, I also have a little, I guess attenuater that the installer left me, but I don't know what it's for.

The attenuator decreases the signal output from your TV2 out. Make sure that is disconnected when using splitters or running longer runs. You may need to hook up a amplifier behind your 622 but the 622 I believe already puts out like 25db of signal so that should be plenty for up to 100' of rg-6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)