Dish 411 First impressions

Does the 411 allow 16:9 over the S-video, or seperate format settings between the HDMI (say 16:9 1080i) and the component (say 16:9 480i--which I'd need for my DVD recorder) since they output simultaneously? Thanks.

csschrot said:
Hammer, I actually email Dan Minick (sp) VP of software and he said none of the newer HD receiver would be supporting PSIP. That really sucks for us here since most of our OTA Digital stuff is coming from a different markert. Also 4 of the channels use a sub-channel so even with the DISH locals we still can't get the guide info for those.
I really think DISH is screwing us on this. That PSIP info is there and I have seen some of the Wal-mart $600 HDTV even use the PSIP info. It can't be that hard to write it into the software. Or maybe I'm way off here but I think it truely sucks.
Shawn

My guess is that it is possible, but would create problems in trying to reconcile two different channel guides. It just doesn't make economic sense right now for them to implement this with such a small installed user base. It's probably taking every resource they have available just to get the new MPEG-4 receivers ready for market, let alone make sure they work properly. !sadroll

current version software for 411?

Just got my new 411 online, I'm trying to figure out whether the latest software version for it is the L261 version?
Thanks
Tim

I like that the SD and HD connections are both active, It seems like the 411 is a one box solution. I was watching SD through the S-Video and switched to ESPN HD and it showed up in a letterbox format. SAme with Monsters, etc. Pretty nice.

Scott

MikeD-C05 said:
Shouldn't it be just like the 811 except it does mpeg4? I would think that all the mpeg4 receivers like the 211/411 /622 will be just like the receivers they replace except the mpeg4 chip or encoders. Surely to God , Dish isn't trying to recreate the receiver from the ground up on these new mpeg4 receivers.

When has Dish ever done something that makes sense? :) When I first got my 301's, the guide would DL guide data every 4 hours or so, then almost a year they finally made it store the data for the 44 hours like it was supposed to. Then I got the 811, and it was JUST like the 301's when I first got them. Pretty much same GUI, EPG, etc. but yet, they started off with the same lame crap, not to mention, how long it took them to get the favorite lists to work right (120 between all four list isn't enough). So, I wouldn't expect Dish to sell these new receivers working like they are supposed to, with all the features that we've come to expect right out of the box. I bet it will take months if not longer before they do the things that we are used to, let alone, new advanced features. (besides MPEG4 :), which most likely won't come around for a few months either)

Last edited:
kb7oeb said:
The old boxes don't support PSIP guide either so this is nothing new, they just don't force you to buy locals for the info. The worst thing to me is this is exactly what the $5 DVR fee should cover.
The 811 does without buying locals

shanewalker said:
Does the 411 allow 16:9 over the S-video, or seperate format settings between the HDMI (say 16:9 1080i) and the component (say 16:9 480i--which I'd need for my DVD recorder) since they output simultaneously? Thanks.

NO just standard definition!

BTW I just installed my 2nd 411 last night. I got easier. 50 Minutes from pulling out my old receiver to enjoying the 411.:) I did a lot of the Tech Support programmingprior to actually calling them, turning off the local stations over the satellite and programming the OAT stations. I programmed my favoroites today. About the same as the other receivers but the interface was a little nicer.

The only complaint I have so far is just 1 set of audio out connections. I had to spend $45 for a "Video/Aidio" distribution amp from Radio Shlock to feed the 3 units I need the audio to go to.

I did notice that my 1st 411 was shutting off sometime during the nite. I asked TS about this and they said it was a built-in function so the receiver will up date every nite. WELL you can shut this off via the preferences menu.

So far I am very impressed with the 411(fingers and toes crossed!!!)

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

Hey Rich, do you have the hdmi hooked up to any dvi connections on the 411's? And/Or, do you have the hdmi hooked up to any hdmi, devices? I'm especially interested in the hdmi to dvi-d, I'm trying to find somebody who has it working.

thanks in advance

Tim

hhkr said:
Hey Rich, do you have the hdmi hooked up to any dvi connections on the 411's? And/Or, do you have the hdmi hooked up to any hdmi, devices? I'm especially interested in the hdmi to dvi-d, I'm trying to find somebody who has it working.
thanks in advance
Tim
I bought this on Ebay once I get a 411 I may need it. Search with this item number 5848430432

BrettTRay said:
How are you guys getting your 411's?
I bought mine on the web at Dish Depot. I got a couple of bad 811's already and I'm glad to be rid of them. I like the 411 alot, the widescreen guide, the 742 menu's, there is just this one little problem with the hdmi, but the component hookup is more than adequate, but you still have to wonder how the hdmi would look. It will be my second receiver after the 622 comes out.
Tim

Rich, it sounds like the 411 has the 942's GUI, even down to the daily reboot to download the EPG data. Thanks for answering my question. I guess we need an answer why Dish decided to treat unknown OTA stations as "NR/AO".

Foxbat said:
Rich, it sounds like the 411 has the 942's GUI, even down to the daily reboot to download the EPG data. Thanks for answering my question. I guess we need an answer why Dish decided to treat unknown OTA stations as "NR/AO".
I think I remember Scott saying that the 211/411's had the 942 interface. I think I will like that alot better than the 811's. I know the widescreen guide alone will be great to me.

Foxbat said:
Foxbat, I was able to disable the daily reboot in the setup menu. I found this by setting down and realy playing with the 411 in my computer/radio room. I would rather have control of what my receiver is doing.:)

I needed to buy a HDMO switch unit to switch between my DVD palyer and my 411. That was $250:mad: but I guess worth it. My wife had to work today and I called her a couple of time to tell her how great the Rose Parade looked in HD, even with the rain. The 411 was, IMO, a great investment.:)

The favorites were very easy to set up.

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

hhkr said:
I bought mine on the web at Dish Depot. I got a couple of bad 811's already and I'm glad to be rid of them. I like the 411 alot, the widescreen guide, the 742 menu's, there is just this one little problem with the hdmi, but the component hookup is more than adequate, but you still have to wonder how the hdmi would look. It will be my second receiver after the 622 comes out.
Tim

I need to look around the posts, but what is the deal with HDMI? Is it just your particular model set is not working with the 411 and that kind of connection?

sonnyboy11 said:
I need to look around the posts, but what is the deal with HDMI? Is it just your particular model set is not working with the 411 and that kind of connection?

No it was that I couldn't get the hdmi working for a dvi-d lcd tv until I plugged the hdmi into the 411 and then with the lcd tv turned on and set to come up in dvi-d, I hot plugged in the dvi-d plug and then it worked. Any other combination and it didn't work.

Tim

Yeah my local reseller here in OK just got a few 411's in yesterday but he want'd $350 for them. I told him that I thought I would waite and see what kind of upgrade plan Dish was going to offer to get a 411.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts