Dish - 4th Place in HD

You're looking at the wide+limited total?

By that count, Direct, Verizon, and TWC are ahead, with Direct only ahead by one!

When are we going to give up on this pointless pissing contest.

It's more about who has the channels and packages you want.

There is too many variables in how you count, anyway. Should RSNs count? PPV? East AND West versions?

How about "limited availability?" Heck, most of the country doesn't get Fios or U-verse. Most have only one cable choice. And hardly anyone lives in a market that has the max of everyone they get. Maybe NYC does, but not elsewhere.

Dish and Direct are the only ones to have their completer offerings available everywhere in the lower 48.

Dish and Direct might be the only ones to have complete offerings in the lower 48, but those of us with access to FIOS and :eek: TWC!!! can definitely consider other options.

Seriously, Direct and Dish have fallen waaay by the wayside with new national HD offerings. I understand the push to offer locals in HD, but it's nationals that make my knees weak. My contract with Dish from April of 2007 (was with them from years before in SD) is already up. I despise TWC, but I may actually invite them back into my home for more HD. (Plus, I kind of miss the Trio Network. Too bad TWC Austin doesn't carry VH1 Soul.)

I have access to Direct, Dish, TWC *and* U-verse. My Dish bill is about the same as what I would pay with DirectTV and maybe a little less than what I would pay with TWC. Dish has done a good job keeping the bargain shoppers happy with their absolute HD and family SD packages. However, those of us that spend money need to be satiated as well. Dish can do that by offering some new national HD (hell even Voom, but preferably the Fox, Rainbow, ESPNU and Viacom suites).

That list might only be a correct rendering of what TWC subs in NY city or LA receive. In my part of the state they get about 1/2 of the hd channels, listed there.

That list might only be a correct rendering of what TWC subs in NY city or LA receive. In my part of the state they get about 1/2 of the hd channels, listed there.

Yup...and TWC was really behind here with their 8 national and 7 local HD channels that they had right through September.

By no means do we get anything near what Dish subs get, but if TWC keeps up the pace, they'll catch up very soon. A month and a half ago we had 7 local HD channels, 8 national HD channels, 4 channels on the HD premium tier, and 3 premium HD channels. Now, a month and a half later, we have 8 local HD channels, 38 national HD channels, 5 premium tier HD channels, 3 premiums, HD PPV, HD On Demand, and Center Ice and NBA Pass in HD (although currently only one game/night).

Not bad for just a little over a month. Still not anything whopping compared to satellite, but if they keep up this pace for the next month, it will be!

The only OTHER option available to me personally -- besides DIRECTV -- is Comcast. Directv is overpriced with entirely too much sports, And cable is not an option since they are worse than DirecTV price wise with less options for HD. Dish Network is the right service for me because it has what I want in HD and an HD Only package that even when you include all 4 premiums, which I do, it still comes out at less than $70 a month. If I had similar packages on Comcast, you could add a 1 to the front of that number.

They are in 1st place for me. D* in 2nd. And the rest I couldn't subscribe to if I wanted too.

Totally agree with you. makes no difference whatsoever what channels D* has, I wouldn't subscribe to them if they were the ONLY option out there.

Such a list is meaningless for most of us.

My only choice is Direct or Dish....and I've made that choice already.

Even if Cable were available - I couldn't even bother to piss on it if it were on fire....

My only choices are Dish Direct, and Cox. And I am not in a limited area. We only get a few HD channels on Cox compared to Dish and Direct. I am staying with Dish and HD Absolute.

Dish and Direct might be the only ones to have complete offerings in the lower 48, but those of us with access to FIOS and :eek: TWC!!! can definitely consider other options.
Doing some AVS reading and you will find a lot of unhappy fios customers. :eek:

My dad has TWC with their latest HD DVR, and my best friend has Suddenlink HD DVR; using both I feel like I'm going back in time 10 years compared to my Dish and VIP 722; there's no way in hell I'd switch to one of those.

I can't get either FIOS or U-Verse, so moot to me. (As to a huge majority of the people I'd guess)

As for Dish vs. Direct, I had Direct for like 10 years before switching to Dish, and again that was solely due to the VIP DVR's; IMO the way they have their tuners setup, and the ability to do PIP and side-by-side viewing puts them in a league of their own. As a sports fan, I can't imagine not having the side-by-side and pip feature, it's just killer when trying to watch multiple football games.

Yes there are a few HD channels I wish Dish would add, but I am pretty sure they'll be on in due time, so I am sticking with it.

Not bad for just a little over a month. Still not anything whopping compared to satellite, but if they keep up this pace for the next month, it will be!

That's a big "if" considering their track record. BTW I do have the basic of all basic cable with my roadrunner, and that does give me some of hd twc channels on my qam tuner (including the sabres games). However TWC will still need to add the nfl network, many of the other nationals hd channels that the satellite companies have, and make room for the additional hd versions of the broadcasts on their version of nhl center ice, before I would ever seriousily considering going back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)