Dish 500 for free to air?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cmcsocal74

Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
south calif
hello all, first off im about two hour new to this fta stuff, a frend gave me a dish 500 about 25 in im guessing. what would be a good recever for that dish? or am i wasting my time. i would like to use it for camp trips .

A Dish 500 is next to useless, especially now that they've encrypted the few free channels on the DBS Dish Notwork satellites. You could do a bit of fabricating and replace the original LNBF assembly with a linear Ku-Band LNBF for FTA, but the dish is very small, and generally won't perform well for Ku-Band. A dish 500 is 20 inches, you need at least a 30 inch dish with a linear Ku-Band LNBF for most Ku-Band FTA.

I tried messing with a Dish 500 last weekend with a fabricated lnb holder and a linear LNBF. I couldn't raise a signal on it. A good 75cm dish or larger is really needed.

hello all, first off im about two hour new to this fta stuff, a frend gave me a dish 500 about 25 in im guessing. what would be a good recever for that dish? or am i wasting my time. i would like to use it for camp trips .

To be fair and balanced to the subject, some people hear have pretty good luck with alot of tech savy and effort. Some TP's on 97W are good with a linear lnbf. Some PBS. But rainfade will wash them out.

Attachments

• DishLNBF_Replacement.jpg
    DishLNBF_Replacement.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
I tried without much success to use a Dish 500 measuring 22 x 24 inches with a Linear LNBF attached for true FTA signals. With a good LNBF, a strong satellite signal painstakingly peaked, short run of RG-6, and no switches or couplers to weaken signal, I can get a few strong transponders on 97w and a few other sats near my true south. If a heavy cloud comes between the dish and satellite, signal is lost.

In my experience you need a 31 inch / 76cm or larger dish for a reliable all-weather signal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts