Dish 622 - $99 Upgrade Details

Thanks Scott for this notice. I'm sure you were instrumental in making this happen for those who wish to take part in this tradeoff of their owned equipment.

Personally, I'm not so sure this is such a good deal for those with a 942 or 921 that is working to their satisfaction. My reasoning is that while, I recognize the 921's are not perfect, my 921 is at least stable and usable without any current bugs that make it intolerable. I'm not sure what the 622 lease will cost over the long run but if it still isn't fixed from the intolerable bugs, like rebooting and loss of audio and picture during normal operation, it seems to me this is not desirable at all. The bug reports by users coming in seem similar to the first months of the 921 when it came out.

At any rate, I had planned to wait for awhile anyway to decide because I won't be available for the upgrade until the second week in May. So to all who want it now, You can have mine. :)

Has anyone got a diffinitive answer if leased owners can participate? I don't personally see why E* would give someone a $200 rebate for equipment which Dish already owns, but you never know....[/QUOTE]

Thanks Scott,

I also got confirmation from my source at Dish today. I raised some of the questions that have been posed on this site.

1. Leases elgible for rebate:

"The rebate applies to leased and purchased 942 and purchased 921 receivers."

2. Commitment requirements:

There is an 18 month commitment in which the customer must keep the receiver active and subscribe to a minimum of one of our basic programming packages such as the Americas Top 60 or Dish Latino, etc.

Anyone upgrading to an MPEG 4 receiver on or after 2/1/06 is required to upgrade their HD package to one of the new HD bundled packages at the time of the upgrade. The programming will become active on the account and billing statement upon activation of the MPEG 4 receiver.

Customers that subscribe to their locals through Dish Network will not be charged anything additional for HD locals provided by Dish Network if available in their area.

Customers who have an MPEG 4 receiver and elect not to subscribe to HD programming will receive a $6.00 per month HD enabling fee charge on their monthly statement.

Scott G. posted most of the rest.

Scott

Kudos to Dish - this is so rare!

Kudos to Scott - as usual!

Great Job - all!

(Dear Dish: Please just ship the receivers, they are direct replacements - I did the original wiring and I can surely do the replacements!)

---Doug

I agree with the swap out except for 1 thing. Dish put the ATL HD locals on 129 so I have to get another Dish (which I know they won't ship). It would have been so much easier if they were on 61.5. . .

Please don't thank me for this, I had nothing to do with it.

It was you guys who called when they were first available for $299 that did the work, your reports of problems trying to get a 211 or 622 made Dish Network stand up and notice. They know a very large portion of orders for the 211 / 622 came from the forums.

Again I applaud them for setting up this special number for all forum members to call and get in on the 622 deal.

FYI

I e-mailed Dish last week and received this response about those that lease a 942:

"Thank you for your email. How the promotion will work is if a customer owns or leases a 921/942 unit if they return it back to us, they will receive a $200.00 credit. The cost of the upgrade will still be $299.99, and the credit is issued on the account once the unit is returned. So you qualify for this offer starting April 1st."

Sincerely,

Executive Office of DISH Network

CEO Escalations

Tom Bombadil said:
Nope, you won't own the 622. The deal is a terrible ripoff for owners of 942s. Unless one thinks that paying $700 for less than one year of ownership for a DVR is a reasonable deal.

Owners of 921s probably aren't overly excited either, but at least they got a longer term of service out of those boxes.

jsanders said:
I sold my 942 on EBay and bought a 622. I sold my 921 last year and bought the 942. The upgrade to the 622 ended up costing me about $150, and I own it. Dish offers a "deal" to upgrade to a lease. They don't even give you $200 in cash, just credits against your bill. Then they take your receiver and sell it to a Canadian Express Vu customer and make even more money off of you, not to mention that they made you agree to a lengthy commitment with minimum programming requirements. No mistake about it, this "deal" is extremely lopsided, and that is the price of convenience.

Im glad someone sees through this bologna of E* and D*. I think its the same bologna deal D* subs will get with the HR10-250 upgrade to mpeg4. More and more I am seeing that satellite companies are just out to screw subscribers.

Last edited:
Promotion is good only until august so I wonder what happens after that to the hold outs like myself hmmm.

Charlie does like to gamble eh.

Does anyone know if this offer will preclude the "only leasing one 622 per year" rule or is there hope of leasing two for us Dish investors.

1. Leases elgible for rebate:

"The rebate applies to leased and purchased 942 and purchased 921 receivers."

Thank you Teachsac for the clarification. I guess I was wrong but that's good for people leasing those receivers.

Thank you Teachsac for the clarification. I guess I was wrong but that's good for people leasing those receivers.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome. I really enjoy this forum and hope I contribute in a positive way. I really enjoy the E* forum as compared to another service provider forum. Much friendlier.

I am still waiting for confirmation on another issue that has been raised reagarding the upgrade path (i can't go into details right now).

Scott

With all the complaints that have been noted working with foreign language operators, it is good that DISH took notice. Maybe they will try to return to their old customer service days and become outstanding again by going American.

$99 Install Charge

Will there be any credit on the $99 install fee if I prefer to install myself? I have all satellites needed so mine should be a simple swap of the 942 reciever and activate.

Just to confirm and clarify:

You can get the rebate for each owned 921 or 942, i.e. six 921s = six rebates. The only catch with this is that the Executive Resolution Team would have to set this work order up. You could call the 1-888 number listed in the first post, but if you are doing more than one, you will need to be transfered to the ERT.

Yes, as stated, leased receivers are eligible.

So I have a 622 now (that I own) I also have a 942 and a 921, you are saying I can upgrade both the 942 and 921?

If so this is GREAT news. :D

I own my 942 at a cost around $600. I never was given the option to lease this HDDVR. Are they saying that I can upgrade to the MPEG-4 for $99 and then lease the equipment from them and pay a monthly leasing fee for the rest of my life???????

Thanks for the great news, Dish_Watcher! And welcome to the forum!

jaspete said:
I own my 942 at a cost around $600. I never was given the option to lease this HDDVR. Are they saying that I can upgrade to the MPEG-4 for $99 and then lease the equipment from them and pay a monthly leasing fee for the rest of my life???????
Yes, you will have to forfeit ownership our your 942 and pay a $6 lease free under the Dish'n It Up (DIU) promotion for as long as you have the 622.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts