Dish 622 - $99 Upgrade Details

So from what I've read of this thread is that owners of the 522 that want to upgrade to the 622 would have to pay $299. I was holding out until April to upgrade, but if I still have to pay $299 forget that.:mad:

I have one 522 receiver and want to upgrade to HD programming with DVR. I was going to upgrade to the 622, but not at $299.

What other options do I have besides going back to Charter?:confused:

Thanks in advance for you replies.

Morning btb,

As stated, only owners of 921 or owner/leasers of the 942 are eligible for the $200 rebate. All of us here have put down a considerable amount of money for our HDDVR's, either purchasing ($600-$1,000) or been lucky enough to lease a 942 for $249. NonHD existing subs are getting the same options as new customers. Upgrade to an HDDVR for $299.

Options:
1. Non-DVR HD receiver for $49.
2. HDDVR receiver for $299.
3. D* single tuner HDDVR for $499 w/$100 rebate.
4. Charter (ugghh)

Scott

Remember, chances are if you do go to Charter cable or any other cable there HD DVRs

seem to run about $14.99 a Month for there Lease, thats $180 per year.

Cost that out over Two years and its $360 which is more than the Dish 622.

If you look at it over 2 years there about the same price for a DVR, so I would just get a 622 if your happy with the Channel line up.

I thought the whole idea behind getting the 622 was to get the new MPeg4 channels.

I just looked, all they got new is ESPN-2 and UnvHD. My city wont get the HD Locals for about a year.

I thought they were going to add more Mpeg4, are they even testing new channels yet, or was that all Vapor ware to get us to spend money on the 622?

What I want to know is what would have happened to me if I paid the $300 to get DishHD when it was first offered? Refund? HaHa...Not now daddy, I'm all FiOS very soon.

bhelms said:
I'm curious - does DHPP help you at all with equipment you own? I thought this just covers E*-owned equipment and provides other "benefits" such as no shipping costs for replaced units and a lower cost for house service calls if needed to $29.

It covers all receivers leased or owned as I just sent back my 2nd 921 for replacement in which the 1 year warranty ran out 6 months ago.

ScottChez said:
Remember, chances are if you do go to Charter cable or any other cable there HD DVRs

seem to run about $14.99 a Month for there Lease, thats $180 per year.

Cost that out over Two years and its $360 which is more than the Dish 622.

If you look at it over 2 years there about the same price for a DVR, so I would just get a 622 if your happy with the Channel line up.

Sophestry! With the 622 lease, you pay $6/mo for leasing, and you pay the $6/mo DVR fee. Take your $14.99 and subtract ($6/mo for leasing and $6/mo DVR), and you get about $3/mo difference. $3/mo * 12 months = $36/year. That savings doesn't pay for the cost of the 622, or the cost to lease the 622 at $300, it doesn't even cover the cost of the $100 upgrade. It means nothing.

By the way, the word "there", which you used denotes a location. An example is, "Look over there!" The word you needed to use is, "their", which relates to a person. Your second use of the word "there" should be "they're", which is a contraction for "they are". The word "your" is a modifier before a noun and is usually an indicator of posession. You needed to use "you're", which is a contraction for, "you are".

That is, unless he subs to HD Platinum, which would waive the DVR fee and make the difference $9 a month, or $108 a year.

As far as home electronics go, the 622 is quite inexpensive. Many pay $2000-$3500 for their HDTV set. A decent, low-end 5.1 audio system is $800-$1000. My center channel speaker cost $1700. $300 for a DVR is a very small percentage of what many invest in their entertainment systems. Heck, a lot of people pay that much for their TV stand.

Then consider your total dollars paid to E* or D* over 3 years. Someone with HD Platinum, locals, regional sports package and $6 lease fee pays $116 a month, plus taxes. Let's say it is $120 a month ($1440 annually) for simplicity.

So with a $49 811 deal, they pay $4369 over three years.
With a $299 622, they pay $4619 over three years.

The DVR is one of the cheapest aspects of a HD A/V system.

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out my minimum monthly payment if I take advantage of this offer.
DishHD Bronze 49.99
Locals $5
DVR Fee $6
Lease Fee $6
Total $66.99/mo

Is this correct?

jsanders said:
Sophestry! With the 622 lease, you pay $6/mo for leasing, and you pay the $6/mo DVR fee. Take your $14.99 and subtract ($6/mo for leasing and $6/mo DVR), and you get about $3/mo difference. $3/mo * 12 months = $36/year. That savings doesn't pay for the cost of the 622, or the cost to lease the 622 at $300, it doesn't even cover the cost of the $100 upgrade. It means nothing.

There are a number of ways to look at the value proposition and how much leasing a 622 will cost. If you look only at the $6 lease fee plus $6 DVR fee for the 18 month term, that comes to $216. Add in the one-time $299 charge and you get $515. Do you need installation? I think they are charging $99 for that, so the total comes to $614. Divide that all by the 18 month lease term again and you get $34.11/mo. IF the cable co. is only charging $14.99/mo combined lease and DVR fee with no upfront charges then it seems like cable is the better deal looking at equipment only. Most cable systems don't have the kind of HD programming lineup that Dish has, nor do they have DVRs with the same level of functionality. It all boils down to personal preferences and what suits your needs the best.

Dlsnyder, I thought the point of this thread was to get the $99 upgrade deal. That being the point, ($12/mo * 18 months + $99)/18 months = $17.50/mo. Not that much different than the cable company. I agree with you that it does boil down to what our personal preferences are.

I am still a bit confused. I currently subscribe to AT120 and the old HD package which cost $10/month which I added so I could watch HD on my 6000, 811, and 921 HD receivers. I was not interested in VOOM so did not upgrade to the $15 HD package.

Now, if I buy a VIP622 or VIP211 to get the HD locals when they become available in San Francisco will I be charged the $6 HD enabling fee or will my current HD ($10) package qualify me without having to upgrade to a metallic package?

If I have to pay the $6 with my current setup, it would make sense for me to upgrade my package to the Silver one for $20 more per month less the $10 I am now paying for the old HD package. If I don't have to pay the $6 enabling fee, then it would make sense for my viewing needs to not upgrade to silver thus saving me $10 per month.

In a nutshell, does the $10 HD package I have now qualify me to not have to pay the $6 HD enabling fee? (I hate being fee'd to death.)

Grandude said:
I am still a bit confused. I currently subscribe to AT120 and the old HD package which cost $10/month which I added so I could watch HD on my 6000, 811, and 921 HD receivers. I was not interested in VOOM so did not upgrade to the $15 HD package.

Now, if I buy a VIP622 or VIP211 to get the HD locals when they become available in San Francisco will I be charged the $6 HD enabling fee or will my current HD ($10) package qualify me without having to upgrade to a metallic package?

If I have to pay the $6 with my current setup, it would make sense for me to upgrade my package to the Silver one for $20 more per month less the $10 I am now paying for the old HD package. If I don't have to pay the $6 enabling fee, then it would make sense for my viewing needs to not upgrade to silver thus saving me $10 per month.

In a nutshell, does the $10 HD package I have now qualify me to not have to pay the $6 HD enabling fee? (I hate being fee'd to death.)

I've asked this questions several times and the answers is...it depends on the CSR you talk to when you activate your 622. S

Some people are paying it and some people are not.

Good point on the $6 DVR feee and the other hidden fees when comparing to Cables HD DVR.

I dont spell or do grammar either, this is not a English class.

Last edited:
Grandude said:

If you buy or lease any ViP (211, 411 and 622) receiver you have to subscribe to one of the Metal Packages. You can keep the old HD package only if you stay with your current receivers. If you lease any of the above receivers you pay a $6.00 lease fee.

Here is quote from Scott's post:

"New and Existing customers choosing to upgrade to ViP series receivers (411, ViP211 and ViP622 DVR) must either choose to subscribe to a DishHD programming package with packages starting at $49.99 or pay a $6 HD Enabling Fee. Beginning on March 16th, customers who do not subscribe to a DishHD programming package will no longer have the option to disable the HD functionality on their ViP series equipment and pay no additional fees."

Brian has a nice explanation here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=32421

Last edited:
Going back to warranty on owned receivers.My first 921 took a dump(I bought it on ebay used)and because I am on autopay they took care of it and paid the postage.The girl told me if I wasn't on autopay they wouldn't have done anything for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts