Dish 622 - $99 Upgrade Details

Ok, so back to the beginning of this post....regarding the special phone number to call...is it only for Forum members? Besides myself, my father, who is not a member of this forum, is also looking to upgrade...will he be able to call the number even if he's not a member?

Tim

RandallA said:
If you buy or lease any ViP (211, 411 and 622) receiver you have to subscribe to one of the Metal Packages. You can keep the old HD package only if you stay with your current receivers. If you lease any of the above receivers you pay a $6.00 lease fee.

Here is quote from Scott's post:

"New and Existing customers choosing to upgrade to ViP series receivers (411, ViP211 and ViP622 DVR) must either choose to subscribe to a DishHD programming package with packages starting at $49.99 or pay a $6 HD Enabling Fee. Beginning on March 16th, customers who do not subscribe to a DishHD programming package will no longer have the option to disable the HD functionality on their ViP series equipment and pay no additional fees."

I bought a 622, and I don't subscribe to a Metal Package. I only subscribe to the Old HD Pack + Voom + locals. No SD programming. The 622 is my ONLY receiver too. You will be required to do a metal package if you lease, starting after 4/1/06.

borfhead said:
Ok, so back to the beginning of this post....regarding the special phone number to call...is it only for Forum members? Besides myself, my father, who is not a member of this forum, is also looking to upgrade...will he be able to call the number even if he's not a member?

Tim

Tim:
No, this number is not only for forum members, although the forums are the only place it is being "advertised". If your father has a 921 or 942 and wants to take part in the upgrade, he can call the number and they will set him up.

"I bought a 622, and I don't subscribe to a Metal Package. I only subscribe to the Old HD Pack + Voom + locals. No SD programming. The 622 is my ONLY receiver too. You will be required to do a metal package if you lease, starting after 4/1/06."

Really? Everything I've read says that you have to subscribe to the Metal Packages with the new ViP receivers. When I upgraded to my 211 they told me I had to subscribe to one of the new packages. But, it doesn't surprise me that you didn't have to subscribe to the new Metal Packages, after all it's Dish Network. You call 10 times and you get 10 different answers.

There must have been at least 50 messages posted to this forum, in various threads, which have stated that if one purchases a 622 that there is no programming obligation. You can let it sit in your closet if you want & not sub to anything.

The HD metallic programming commitment is only in force if one is leasing a Dish MPEG4 HD receiver. This commitment has nothing to do with any "after 4/1" promotions. It has been in effect since the 2/1 announcements and the start of the Dish'n It Up offerings.

Last edited:
I changed from a 811 to a 211. Went from AT180, HD pack + voom 10, to Family package, HD pack + voom 10. $49 upgrade/install:cool: I'm waiting to see what will be new as I did not feel that $29 for the HD stand alone was worth the current additional couple chanels. We'll see when the Food Net, HDTV, NG channels come on board in HD.:hungry: Hopefully soon, but in the meantime I'll continue to watch KungFu HD-NOT!!!:)

jsanders said:
I bought a 622, and I don't subscribe to a Metal Package. I only subscribe to the Old HD Pack + Voom + locals. No SD programming. The 622 is my ONLY receiver too. You will be required to do a metal package if you lease, starting after 4/1/06.
So my question to you is, are you being charged the HD enabling fee or did your current subscription to the old HD package qualify you to avoid that extra fee?

jsanders said:
Dlsnyder, I thought the point of this thread was to get the $99 upgrade deal. That being the point, ($12/mo * 18 months + $99)/18 months = $17.50/mo. Not that much different than the cable company. I agree with you that it does boil down to what our personal preferences are.

I stand corrected. :eek:

Do they include installation with the deal? Everyone with a 921 or 942 will already have two lines going to their box so it should be a direct swap-out. The only exception would be if Dish thinks the addition of a Dish1000 is necessary.

Tom Bombadil said:
The HD metallic programming commitment is only in force if one is leasing a Dish MPEG4 HD receiver. This commitment has nothing to do with any "after 4/1" promotions. It has been in effect since the 2/1 announcements and the start of the Dish'n It Up offerings.

That isn't quite true either. For instance, DoyleS has a leased 622, and he doesn't subscribe to a metal package, he has AT180 + Old HD Pack. It is effective on 4/1 that you have to subscribe to a metal package if you lease.

Grandude said:
So my question to you is, are you being charged the HD enabling fee or did your current subscription to the old HD package qualify you to avoid that extra fee?

Unfortunately NOT!!! Those Jerks! I subscribe to all HD Dish offers, aside from five measly channels, and I get charged the "HD Enabling fee". I mean, come on now, who in the world watches "GamePlay HD". Completely worthless! Why would I want to go from $15 to $30 to get "GamePlay"? Especially when Metal Packages are only paying $20/mo for it.

However, DishPointer also only gets the old HD Pack + Voom, and he doesn't get charged the enabling fee. The difference is that he subscribes to an SD Pack. That makes dish even more of a HYPOCRITE! They waive the enabling fee if you subscribe to old SD pack + old HD Pack. The inconsistency makes them a hypocrite. You have to subscribe to SD to get it waived if you subscribe to the old HD Pack.

dlsnyder said:
I stand corrected. :eek:

Do they include installation with the deal? Everyone with a 921 or 942 will already have two lines going to their box so it should be a direct swap-out. The only exception would be if Dish thinks the addition of a Dish1000 is necessary.

That is a very good question dlsnyder. There might be a loophole to it, but I don't know if it works or not. I already had a dish at 61.5, and 148, and 110, and 119. I get voom without 129 because I get 61.5 at a strength of 90+ in California. Go figure! Anyway, San Francisco MPEG-4 HD locals are going to be on 110, so I don't have to do a thing. If the HD locals were going to be on 129, I was going to call dish and ask them to put one up, as I should get a free dish for locals. Whether that works for HD or not is another question. I don't know if I could have got the free dish or not. That is the only loophole I can think of to get a dish upgrade for free in this scenario though.

I got my free wing dish installed for locals on 148, then repointed it myself to 61.5 when I got my 811 last year. I also was amazed at how high the signal strength is here in the eastern edge of the LA area. I get over 100 on most TPs!

More Clarification and Details Before Tomorrow

• This promotion is available to customers who exchange their existing 921 or 942 receiver (Leased or Owned) for a ViP622 HD/DVR through our DISHN’ It Up receiver upgrade program.
  • The customer will pay a $299.99 lease upgrade fee during the call and receive their $200 credit upon return of their 921/942 receiver.
  • Participation in this promotion includes professional installation of the HD/DVR and installation of a dish antenna (where applicable).
  • The customer’s DISH Network account will be credited $200 when DISH Network receives their 921/942 back (or if the customer is billed by an alliance partner – the customer’s credit card).
  • Customers will receive 2 boxes in the mail:
    [*]One will be an empty box that the customer needs to save and use to return their 921/942. It will contain specific instructions regarding the receiver return and $200 credit process.​
    [*]The second box will contain their new ViP622 DVR which will be installed on the date selected with the customer. The customer should NOT attempt to install this himself/herself.​
  • All other DISH’n It Up fees apply:
    [*]$6.00 per month leasing fee​
    [*]$6.00 per month HD enabling fee if the customer does not subscribe to DishHD Bronze or higher.​
    [*]18 month commitment​
  • The ERT Team will have to setup any orders for more than one exchange.

All other DISH’n It Up fees apply:
- $6.00 per month leasing fee
- $6.00 per month HD enabling fee if the customer does not subscribe to DishHD Bronze or higher.
- 18 month commitment

Wait a minute - didn't they say that a subscription to DishHD Bronze or higher was a REQUIREMENT in order to get the lease deal?

Dish_Watcher said:
[*]All other DISH’n It Up fees apply:
$6.00 per month HD enabling fee if the customer does not subscribe to DishHD Bronze or higher.

This doesn't quite go along with the original statement from Dish Network as found in post #1 of this thread:

Scott Greczkowski said:
If you are not ready to exchange your receiver or upgrade to our new DishHD programming, we understand. The $200.00 equipment credit promotion will be available until August 1, 2006. Take your time, and when you are ready, we will be here.

Would you mind clarifying Dish_Watcher??

jsanders said:
This doesn't quite go along with the original statement from Dish Network as found in post #1 of this thread:

Would you mind clarifying Dish_Watcher??

Sure. You don't have to upgrade your programming for the upgrade; however, if you do not, then you will be charged the $6.00/month HD enabling fee.

dlsnyder said:
All other DISH’n It Up fees apply:
- $6.00 per month leasing fee
- $6.00 per month HD enabling fee if the customer does not subscribe to DishHD Bronze or higher.
- 18 month commitment

Wait a minute - didn't they say that a subscription to DishHD Bronze or higher was a REQUIREMENT in order to get the lease deal?

No, it's not. You can either upgrade to one of the "metal" packages, or choose not to and pay the $6.00/month HD enabling fee.

I know they required me to subscribe to the old HD pack when I leased my 811 last year. It doesn't make sense that they would allow people to lease a 622 without taking the new HD pack... unless they are going to discontinue the 510, 522, and 625 making this the only DVR offered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts