Dish 622 L356 Software Release Notes

I was having the audio dropping on TV1 and TV2 on L355. Since L356 my 622 has performed perfectly on the audio. I have had some pixilation or when I change channels quickly no video but audio on TV2.

Overall the L356 was a dramatic improvement for me.

mothergoose45 said:
I have had this happen about 10 times. WTF. It ends up doing it only when I am watching an OTA channel. It can only be fixed by unpluging the 942. It is real annoying when trying to watch 24. Why is there not a fix for this?
Also, try deleting your OTA channels by rescanning. I get the feeling the new software does a pretty piss-poor job of mapping the local channels...especially when the PSIP channel identifier does not match. For example, our local ABC recently changed their channel identifiers (Old: WJLA-DT and WJLA-DT2, New: WJLA-HD and WJLA-SD).

Yeah they monitor us beta testers and why not we are more than free, we pay to be beta testers. ;)

I am now getting audio and video drops as I was prior to 356 but seems more now and on all channels, recorded or live.

I reboot once a day now in addition to the one that it automatically does in the 3 am updates , just to prevent any problems with the primetime shows. This cuts down on some of the inconviences that come with the 622 software.

I Just don't understand why it takes so long for all of the dish engineers to fix these problems. Dish has had duel tuner receivers in both hd and sd for about 2 or three years now. It shouldn't be this hard to fix the audio /video problems. The 942 was pretty rock solid except for the occasional audio drop out over dolby digital sounds. This is nothing more than a 942 without an analog tuner and the ability to use the mpeg 4 encoder.

Oh well, maybe when Tivo wins in court against Dish , then maybe the software will vastly improve and we will all be happy again.:hungry:

bad luck with L356

I'm not happy with this update at all. The jerkiness in video and audio popping is much more frequent than before, and almost unbearable and unusable. Wish we could revert back to L355 somehow. Hopefully a newer version will fix it all soon.

Worked fine before update

My 622 worked perfectly until software update L356. Now I have video and audio stutters mainly on HD channels.

I have two friends with 622s. They as I had the audio problems and drop outs prior to 356. After 356 the 622 seems to be near rock solid on all three machines.

One question, Have all of you done a Hard Boot (unplug and plug) to the 622 after the update? My 622 was a little squirrelly after 356 untill I did. Both my friends did the Hard boot as a matter of procedure.

Can someone explain why a hard re-boot (unplugging for at least 30 seconds)will sometimes fix what a soft re-boot (front panel power switch hold) won't? I'm not doubting there's a difference, I just never understood why.

I love my 622. I had to reset my 811 more than a few times per week for the entire 2.5 years that I owned it. I've only had to reset my 622 once in the 2.5 weeks that I've owned it, and that was before the 356 update. It's been running perfectly since the software update. It is gold in comparison to my 811 P.O.S.

waltinvt said:
Can someone explain why a hard re-boot (unplugging for at least 30 seconds)will sometimes fix what a soft re-boot (front panel power switch hold) won't? I'm not doubting there's a difference, I just never understood why.

That's an excellent question. My guess will be that by unplugging the receiver, a chip in the board gets reset. If you do a soft reboot the receiver is still connected to power and this particular chip(s) doesn't get reset.

waltinvt said:

Because it totally dumps memory and reloads all drivers from scratch. The 622 is a computer. Sometimes a reset (soft boot) does not restore computers and you need to power down to re-initialize hardware ports and software drivers.

"Because it totally dumps memory and reloads all drivers from scratch."

That's probably the correct answer, specifically the "reloads drivers from scratch". I've seen some release notes for software upgrades where they say upgraded driver to minimize black screens or other problems with the receivers.

It would be nice to have a "reset" button that would do the same as unplugging the unit. Put it next to the "power" button on the front of the receiver. It is really hard to get to the plug behind my entertainment center.

Do you think Dish designers and engineers read this forum?

KenSoren said:
It would be nice to have a "reset" button that would do the same as unplugging the unit. Put it next to the "power" button on the front of the receiver. It is really hard to get to the plug behind my entertainment center.

Try your circuit breaker. You will have to reset your clocks (vcr,tv,etc) but it is easier to get to I bet!

"Do you think Dish designers and engineers read this forum?"

Even if they do, that would be admitting that they have problems with the receivers locking up. And they don't, right?

KenSoren said:

Do you think Dish designers and engineers read this forum?

That's one of the best suggestions I've heard in a while.

With L356 the jerkiness in video and audio popping is much more frequent than before. I am using component video and Tosslink audio.

One thing I've noticed that's changed since I got the L356 update is when my OTA signal breaks up I now get a tone out of the speakers. Never heard that before. Other than that I haven't noticed any other changes.

Overall, the 622 has been working very well. I'm very happy with it!

Larry
SF

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)