Status
Please reply by conversation.

worstman1

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 28, 2010
SW Michigan, USA
I'm trying to find a 2tb external hard drive with power supply for my Dish 722k receiver.

All I'm finding is 3tb+ drives with power supply. Plus lots of 2tb EHDs that are powered by USB.

Ebay has some seller refurbished 2tb EHDs, but I'm not sure I want to take that risk.

I have a 2tb internal drive that I could use if I can find an enclosure.

Any ideas what to do?

I don't have a 722k receiver. I do have a Wally in my camper that I wanted to enable DVR function on.
I had a connector and a laptop SSD sitting around. I connected them to the Wally and Wallah, he recognized them.

The connector is this: SATA Wire 3.0 - USB 3.0 Interface to any 2.5" SATA Drive
1606181634999.png

The SSD is a SanDisk 1TB or 2TB SSD, I am not in front of it. There is no enclosure, and I would say, not needed. No external power. Works.

I'm trying to find a 2tb external hard drive with power supply for my Dish 722k receiver.

All I'm finding is 3tb+ drives with power supply. Plus lots of 2tb EHDs that are powered by USB.

Ebay has some seller refurbished 2tb EHDs, but I'm not sure I want to take that risk.

I have a 2tb internal drive that I could use if I can find an enclosure.

Any ideas what to do?
Way in the past, some used a usb powered drive with a powered usb hub.

I do not recommend using an SSD for this purpose. They have a limited number of read write cycles and their higher speed will not be utilized and therefore be of no value.

I do not recommend non self powered drives on the USB ports. Not supported by Dish. May work for a while, but you are overtaxing the power supply. You could plug a non powered drive into a powered USB hub.

Go ahead and get the 3TB drive. It will work, but only use 2TB.

I'm using this on my wally..has external power supply.. google search this for around $100..it's available

Buffalo 2TB DriveStation Axis Velocity USB 3.1 Gen 1 External Desktop Hard Drive​

Reactions: worstman1
I'm going to try the Buffalo 2tb. B&H for $86 and should be here by Friday. Thanks for your help.
I am paying $7 monthly equipment fee for 722k, not sure I want to pay however much it goes up for a Hopper.

Use a USB hard drive dock to attach your internal SATA drive to the 722.

I have several that I have used since I had my ViP211s and Vip622.

Reactions: pattykay
I do not recommend using an SSD for this purpose. They have a limited number of read write cycles and their higher speed will not be utilized and therefore be of no value.

I do not recommend non self powered drives on the USB ports. Not supported by Dish. May work for a while, but you are overtaxing the power supply. You could plug a non powered drive into a powered USB hub.

Go ahead and get the 3TB drive. It will work, but only use 2TB.

I was just reporting that a couple of items I had sitting around worked for the purpose of an EHD on a Wally. Since I'm using it in a camper that I tend to drag down unpaved forest service roads, the lack of moving parts in the SSD appeals to me, as does the lack of yet another power supply to use with an inverter when off-grid.

Regarding self-powered drives, it's a little interesting that myDish does not specify that the drive must be self-powered. I think this used to be the recommendation but it appears not to be now:

Compatible External Hard Drives​

While most major manufacturers' external hard drives are compatible, keep in mind the following guidelines when purchasing an external hard drive:
The external hard drive must meet capacity requirements¹ for your receiver.
The external hard drive must be plugged into one of the USB ports on the back of the receiver.
The external hard drive must have a USB 2.0-compatible cable.
The external hard drive must not use flash memory and should only be a single-hard disk drive.

¹ External hard drive capacity requirements:
Connected to Hopper: minimum 320 GB, maximum 7 TB
Connected to Wally: minimum 500 GB, maximum 4 TB
Connected to other receivers: minimum 50 GB, maximum 2 TB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)