Dish 811 - P282 Update

Problems since 2.82

Unlike many, I had NO problems with the 811 until the 2.82 update. Now lock up almost continuously when scrolling through OTA. Thought I'd join the fray:)

Yeah...the 811 was fine for me until the 2.82. Now, i'm up to about 10 lockups since it downloaded. Ridiculous.

Moman19 said:
Strange. This has hapenned to me twice yesterday for no apparent reason. Never had it happen this way before. But I'm still on 281.

Same here. Locked up twice so far when switching between OTA DT channels. Rebooted itself and re-acquired signal automatically before I could even touch it. That's bad!!! I want my 2.81 back :(

811Sucks said:
Nippjas...thanks for the message. If a memory dump is that risky, then perhaps I'll just wait for the next update and that might help.
It's not really the memory dump itself that is risky persay...It's the NVram reset to reset your box to factory condition (forces reflash) that's risky...you can screw up doing this one.

All...DBSTalk member Cholly...appears to have found a ryhm and reason to the OTA lock ups....Give his method a whirl.

Cholly said:
Got the update last night after shutting down my 811 for a few hours. When I turned it back on and checked SysInfo, it indicated I'd gotten 282. When I went thru my favorites list & went channel up from 9424 to 12-01 (my first OTA channel), I got the BSOD. When I recycled power, my 811 went thru the acquiring satellite proccess, then the guide info download, after which it reverted to 9424. Tried channel up again, same result.
I then went to setup and rescanned my local digitals and then reset them on my favorites list. Voila! No more problems. This morning, I checked things out by turning off my 811, and turning it on again, followed by surfing through all my favorites channels -- no problem....
Thanks Cholly,

Jason

811Sucks said:
I reset to factory default...but it froze again. The lock always happens when I'm scrolling through OTA channels. Then the receiver automatically resets...and then it goes through the "Acquiring Satellite" signal page for about a minute. Then I'm back on. WHat a pain.

Okay folks, this is the fear that we all have when we have an update. This last update and the problems we are having with the lockups has to be reported to E* . They need to know that they have a problem and maybe they can set up a special download to fix it before 283 hits next month.

I know we will get the standard reply that they did not know and you are the first to report it. So lets start making phone calls. Scott, hope you can use your connections to make E* aware that this is bad news. Thanks.

What I'm seeing that's new with 2.82 seems to be that I get a BSOD when I tune to an OTA channel that I had scanned successfully before, but is now off the air. Whenever I get a BSOD, the signal strength meter reads 0. Is that what you guys are seeing?

It might be a channel that is off the air or one that is weak. My local PBS station falls under that category. It used to take a long time(5+ minutes) to lock on it. One of the updates had it popping in within a sec or 2. The releases since seem to make it take longer and longer and now 282 seems to be a bigger step backwards. When I go to it sometimes I will get the BSOD after it tells me that I need to move my antenna. It may be that the error recovery has been compromised somehow. I guess I need to turn the 'ask my permission button' back on for future upgrades.

Mike

I must be fortunate because 2.82 seems to have eliminated my BSOD problems. I continue to aggessively channel surf especially HD OTA and no BSOD like I would get with 2.81. I should note that I do not not use the favorites list, I have just locked out channels that I do not watch. I should also note that I have a legacy twin LNB with only a D500 dish.

phoenician said:
Same here. Locked up twice so far when switching between OTA DT channels. Rebooted itself and re-acquired signal automatically before I could even touch it. That's bad!!! I want my 2.81 back :(

But read my reply more carefully. I'm still on 281 and have yet to receive the update. This tells me that this issue might not be related to the new release. I just updated a replacement receiver. Perhaps this is standard whenever a load is first installed. Don't ask me why, just a SWAG.

The BSOD w/ 282 does appear to be related to low signal OTA channels that have been scanned into the 811. Yesterday, while attempting to test signal the strength of OTA DTV channels with and w/o my pre-amp, I encountered my second BSOD w/ 282.

I selected an OTA channel to check signal strength w/o my pre-amp. Signal strength was too low and the message came up about not having a signal. I then attempted to simply increment up one channel to the next OTA channel scanned into my 811 and BSOD. After a reboot, I checked on the channel I attempted to access when the BSOD hit. It also was too low a signal to lock.

I did find that I could go to the EPG and select any of these channels successfully getting the no signal message, then go back to the EPG and select another too low a signal and get that channel w/ the lost signal message. I did this numerous times w/o the BSOD. The BSOD only occurred when I attempted to increment a direct channel change up or down from a no signal channel to another no signal or low signal/long time to lock channel.

My first BSOD w/ 282 occurred last Thursday while I was aggresively surfing OTA and DBS channels. All of a sudden it locked up w/ the BSOD. After a reboot, everything was fine. I have not been able to duplicated this BSOD mechanism since.

BTW, it appears that the 811 is finally at the performance point it should have been at when released. Now 11 months later I can finally enjoy my 811 and my wife has stopped griping about my 811 decision of last December. DVI PQ is still a little too dark, but I can live with that.

Switches OTA channel to unmapped

In P282, I still have the problem with my Albuquerque Fox (2.0, 27.1) not keeping the mapping. As soon as I up/down from 2.1 it puts me at higher numbers. There is a low-power 27 mapped from the LIL to 27.0 for Roswell.

The guide is not picking up ABC (7.1) being the same as 7.0. Up until a month ago or so, they were broadcasting the same SD on 7.2 and analog 7.0. Now 7.2 is blank or perhaps some of the over-the-air "cable" channels, which are blocked. You used to be able to see national HD NYPD at 8 PM (7.1) and analog and SD at 9 PM, for example. Someday we'll get a local guide on the 921.

-Ken

Bulldog said:
Scott, hope you can use your connections to make E* aware that this is bad news. Thanks.
Scott's not the only one with connections...In fact....forget it......

There are other people on this forum that have relationship's with,...more importantly than sales and distribution,....the engineering contacts.....These individuals share information in an effort to help out, but these individuals also like a little respect and recognitiion for their efforts.

mdonnelly said:
What I'm seeing that's new with 2.82 seems to be that I get a BSOD when I tune to an OTA channel that I had scanned successfully before, but is now off the air. Whenever I get a BSOD, the signal strength meter reads 0. Is that what you guys are seeing?

Got the update this AM. Saw exactly the same thing: Zero signal strength on a strong station immediately followed by BSOD. What's THAT all about? DOn't they test this stuff? I want Beta-test pay!

Moman19 said:
Got the update this AM. Saw exactly the same thing: Zero signal strength on a strong station immediately followed by BSOD. What's THAT all about? DOn't they test this stuff? I want Beta-test pay!
I don't know any real Beta Testers that get paid.

Have tried all of the proposed solutions with no fix for the sat to OTA lockup issue (all OTA in the 75-85 range). For me, has only happened since 2.82 update. Echo a previous post and advise those with problems to call dish, review the specifics with them, and ask that the info be forwarded to the engineering department. Hopefully another update will be sent out sooner than previously planned.

mnb said:
Unlike many, I had NO problems with the 811 until the 2.82 update. Now lock up almost continuously when scrolling through OTA. Thought I'd join the fray:)

Mine has been locking up a lot since the last update too. Happens when scrolling through OTA channels, station info remains at the top but the picture goes black. Receiver reboots itself. Before 2.82 I only had to reboot to get my guide to go out past 2 hours. So it appears they fixed the guide problem, but now this. Go figure.

I moved my 811 to another room last week (the same day 2.82 came down). Its been working beautifully. Well, yesterday I finally hooked up the OTA and sure enough, I had 4 reboots in two hours!

This is ridiculous! My 811 was pretty damn stable until the BSOD showed up a couple of software releases ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)