Dish 942 HD Box without Phone Hookup??

bradesp

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
I have a remote lake cottage with a new HD 50" Plasma display. I have NO wired phone service to this cottage. I read an online review of the new 942 box indicating that phone hook-up is required. Major bummer for me if this is true!

Can someone confirm if this is true or not. If it is true, is there a work around of any kind?

Thanks!!!

bradesp

Well, the 942 is a dual tuner receiver, meaning it can show different video on two TVs or utilize Picture in Picture on a single tv. As per Dish's rule, every additional receiver you have costs $5 a month. Dual tuner receivers are also subject to this fee UNLESS you have a phone line connected. So it's fine to not connect one to your 942, but you will be charged the standard $5 a month extra receiver fee.

My 942 worked fine before I hooked it up to the phone line. I did get a pop-up message every day reminding me to hook up the phone line to avoid a monthly fee.

AndyOI said:
Well, the 942 is a dual tuner receiver, meaning it can show different video on two TVs or utilize Picture in Picture on a single tv. As per Dish's rule, every additional receiver you have costs $5 a month. Dual tuner receivers are also subject to this fee UNLESS you have a phone line connected. So it's fine to not connect one to your 942, but you will be charged the standard $5 a month extra receiver fee.
All true, but too generalized, and PIP is not the key feature. The fee applies to the dual-tuner multi-room receivers. The 721 and 921 do not have the fee.

bradesp said:
I have a remote lake cottage with a new HD 50" Plasma display. I have NO wired phone service to this cottage. I read an online review of the new 942 box indicating that phone hook-up is required. Major bummer for me if this is true!
Can someone confirm if this is true or not. If it is true, is there a work around of any kind?
Thanks!!!
bradesp

I'm also assuming there is no broadband connection?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)