DISH Acquires DBS and OTT Assets from EchoStar

I sure hope it's not Verizon. If that happens then dish won't be affordable at all, as verizon only cares about money and money only.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!
I agree that Verizon's pricing for wireless services are the worst for the consumer, but that was a price many were willing to pay because Verizon's network was more reliable. However, competitors have pretty much caught up, at least to one experiment/survey of wireless network robustness for all major carries by each city. I saw it on CNET, and the facts are that the days of Verizon being the ONLY network that was the fastest and accessible almost anywhere are gone. Now that competitors have caught up, it will take some time for Verizon to drop its "superiority" attitude, but only if people start LEAVING Verizon for other carriers. I do think Verizon will have to compete with the better deals from other carries, but not for a while.

Verizon is merging with Charter Communications.

I think the sprint deal is dead, which would only leave T-Mobile.

What a fitting partner, the worst satellite provider and the worst cell phone provider together.

Dish isn't the worst satellite provider, that would be directv.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I agree that Verizon's pricing for wireless services are the worst for the consumer, but that was a price many were willing to pay because Verizon's network was more reliable. However, competitors have pretty much caught up, at least to one experiment/survey of wireless network robustness for all major carries by each city. I saw it on CNET, and the facts are that the days of Verizon being the ONLY network that was the fastest and accessible almost anywhere are gone. Now that competitors have caught up, it will take some time for Verizon to drop its "superiority" attitude, but only if people start LEAVING Verizon for other carriers. I do think Verizon will have to compete with the better deals from other carries, but not for a while.

I'm afraid I have to strongly disagree that other carriers have "caught up." Have you ever driven around in a rural area? Verizon reigns supreme outside any major metropolitan area. Sure, if you're in Los Angeles, they're all the same. But drive off the interstate in Kansas or Nebraska and try to get a signal. No dice. Also, Verizon has started to compete on price, especially on the prepaid side. I have an Iphone SE running Verizon prepaid, and I get unlimited talk/text/7gb data/wifi calling/VoLTE, and no throttling for $50/month plus tax. That's pretty darn close, if not better, than the other cellco's prepaid offerings. I'm not a Verizon apologist by any means, but they are still the best.

The other carriers (Sprint, Tmo) want you to believe they've caught up, so they hire that old Verizon guy to say "everybody is within 1%." This is a bold-faced lie. Sprint and Tmobile know darn well they don't have anywhere near the number of towers Verizon and ATT have.

Is Verizon an evil bureaucracy? Yes. Is their customer service horrible? Yes. Do they still have the most built-out and dependable network of towers? Yes. Pick your poison!

I'm afraid I have to strongly disagree that other carriers have "caught up." Have you ever driven around in a rural area? Verizon reigns supreme outside any major metropolitan area. Sure, if you're in Los Angeles, they're all the same. But drive off the interstate in Kansas or Nebraska and try to get a signal. No dice. Also, Verizon has started to compete on price, especially on the prepaid side. I have an Iphone SE running Verizon prepaid, and I get unlimited talk/text/7gb data/wifi calling/VoLTE, and no throttling for $50/month plus tax. That's pretty darn close, if not better, than the other cellco's prepaid offerings. I'm not a Verizon apologist by any means, but they are still the best.

The other carriers (Sprint, Tmo) want you to believe they've caught up, so they hire that old Verizon guy to say "everybody is within 1%." This is a bold-faced lie. Sprint and Tmobile know darn well they don't have anywhere near the number of towers Verizon and ATT have.

Is Verizon an evil bureaucracy? Yes. Is their customer service horrible? Yes. Do they still have the most built-out and dependable network of towers? Yes. Pick your poison!

Just because they have the best network for 4G doesn't necessarily mean they'll build the same 5G network.

Reactions: bobvick
My brother-in-law is an engineer with one of the largest cell tower operators in the country (the carriers are letting these companies build towers and they lease space). I don't know if VZW is their biggest client and he's biased, but in his (expert ?) opinion, VZW is far and away the company with the best coverage.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Just because they have the best network for 4G doesn't necessarily mean they'll build the same 5G network.

It's not only 4G. Their legacy CDMA / 1xRTT / 3G network is also the largest, although they intend to shut down legacy by end 2019 or 2020. I have a dedicated Verizon 3G hotspot my daughter uses, and she lives in the middle of nowhere, and it's the only reliable internet access she can get. And let me tell 'ya, it is VERY reliable. It's only 2.59 mbps, but it's better than nothing..

My brother-in-law is an engineer with one of the largest cell tower operators in the country (the carriers are letting these companies build towers and they lease space). I don't know if VZW is their biggest client and he's biased, but in his (expert ?) opinion, VZW is far and away the company with the best coverage.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Agreed. There's a reason why every traveling salesperson I know uses Verizon. They can't afford to miss a call!

Well, I see many more "blind spots" in the VZW map than I do with the AT&T map. Also, even years ago where AT&T didn't have coverage, they had 3rd party coverage agreements in areas they didn't have official coverage. My in-laws in WV were in such an area, and AT&T still is the only carrier that I can use there.

upload_2017-2-3_14-32-35.png

upload_2017-2-3_14-35-11.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-3_14-34-17.png
    upload_2017-2-3_14-34-17.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: TheKrell
When I think of "far and away the best," I'm basing that on number of towers. Verizon has more towers, over all, than any other carrier. More saturation equals better coverage, IMO

I agree that Verizon currently has the best coverage, in our area anyway. My point is that there is no guarantee they will build out the 5G network as extensively. Do you know what their plans are?

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)