DISH + Airport Extreme = problems?

irishman538

Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
Hi all, new here and I am having a problem with my wifi router. I have one of the [relatively] new Airport Extremes with the 802.11n faster speeds. I had this before I moved, where it was hooked up to Comcast cable modem. I never had any connectivity problems.

Well, I have moved and I cannot get comcast so I went with Atlantic broadband for a cable modem. I know the cable modem works because my 360 live works flawlessly. But my airport wont stay connected - I even exchanged it from apple to get a new one in case it was actually a hardware problem. The only difference is now I have Dish network (instead of cable) and the DISH box has a radio remote... So my concern: is the Dish box throwing off my router? Is there any other possible problem??

I really can't move the router from where it is just because of the layout of my house... they were inches apart (router and remote receiver antenna), they are now about 18 inches apart.

If I knew that was what was causing it, I would turn off the radio receiver for the remote if I can - Is it likely that is causing the problem? If it is, is it even possible to turn off the radio function on a VIP 622 (or 722 - I'm not sure which it is)?

It's hard to tell what's causing the interference but I would just remove the UHF antenna in the back of the receiver for testing purposes and see if that helps. If that's the cause, one of them needs to be relocated unless you don't use the Dish Network receiver in dual mode (TV2).

thanks for the advice! I'll give it a shot when I get home and see if that helps. Fortunately, this TV doesn't need the dual receiver so if I take it off its no loss (just will need to actually point the remote at the TV - the pain!)

I have an Airport Extreme with wireless n, and I have a 622 and I have not had any of the problems of which you speak. My 622 is about 10 feet from my Airport. I also have a Linksys Access Point (because I was having trouble with the Xbox connecting to the Airport). I also have a 501 and 508.

The 622 is about the least likely thing to cause interference. None of mine have ever had trouble. And I am not sure what the change in provider might have to do with it. It would seem that if the Airport connects to the internet, then it will always connect to the internet.

I am an Apple Dealer. And these things do happen. When you say it won't stay connected, what Device won't stay connected to what? If you give me computers and operating systems, I might be able to help you.

It could have been something to do with the move, but might not. Some of the things to look at include:

Microwave Ovens
What channels your neighbors are using for wifi
What frequency you or your neighbors are using for wireless phones
How much metal is in your walls or windows
Whether your network is wide open, published with security or hidden completely.
IF you use VPN, does you new provider condone use of VPN. Or torrents. Etc.

Anyway, I will drop by later. Good luck.

I have an Airport Extreme with wireless n, and I have a 622 and I have not had any of the problems of which you speak. My 622 is about 10 feet from my Airport. I also have a Linksys Access Point (because I was having trouble with the Xbox connecting to the Airport). I also have a 501 and 508.

The 622 is about the least likely thing to cause interference. None of mine have ever had trouble. And I am not sure what the change in provider might have to do with it. It would seem that if the Airport connects to the internet, then it will always connect to the internet.

I am an Apple Dealer. And these things do happen. When you say it won't stay connected, what Device won't stay connected to what? If you give me computers and operating systems, I might be able to help you.

It could have been something to do with the move, but might not. Some of the things to look at include:

Microwave Ovens
What channels your neighbors are using for wifi
What frequency you or your neighbors are using for wireless phones
How much metal is in your walls or windows
Whether your network is wide open, published with security or hidden completely.
IF you use VPN, does you new provider condone use of VPN. Or torrents. Etc.

Anyway, I will drop by later. Good luck.

My wife and I have a macbook and a macbook pro - both with OS X tiger. There are no neighbors with wifi that we can access near us, save one that is an open network (but a very weak signal so I don't think close by). We are in an end unit townhouse and the interior unit next to us has not been sold yet (new construction). Microwave is forty/fifty feet away. We don't use a VPN - but the router is published with security.

The problem is, the router turns on, I connect to it and set it up through admin assistant and it works. But then randomly (sometimes every twenty seconds, sometimes every hour) the computer will suddenly loose the connection with the airport (it can't even find it when you try to search for it) - and then ten/twenty seconds later it finds it and reconnects. When it gets doing this quickly so the computer can't stay connected long, the internet drags SLOWLY, but if it can and does stay connected for a longer period the router works great and the internet is fast.

We never had any problems before moving - over six months the router never even had to be rebooted, never dragged, it worked great. Now, we are having this problem - the only two differences are the presence of the radio remote for the DISH and the Atlantic broadband service provider instead of comcast (but still a cable modem).

Apple replaced the airport for us last week (they said the ethernet connection was loose, but I don't buy it because the 360 is hooked up to the router so if the router wasn't getting the internet the 360 wouldn't be able to get it, but I have had zero problems with xbox live). And it seemed to work okay for a couple of days (but still seemed to be having problems right after we set it up) - but now we are having the same problems again.

I am not overly computer savvy, but understand the basics -if more info would help let me know !

Thanks to everyone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts