Dish and 1080i upscaling on 4K

On my Phillips 4K tv with HDR My problem was the gamma levels weren’t right for my room. Once I selected very dark room the picture looked right. Before it was set for bright room and it made everything look washed out. The rest of settings were preset for Vivid mode and look great for the faces , backgrounds etc.

Reactions: charlesrshell
but if you have settings memories, do what I suggested. Set your 'perfect' in very low light and save it

I'm a tweaker. I've purchased just about every Video Calibration Version Available over the years. I use em, then Tweek em. I don't just leave my TVs at the Disc's recommended settings...Don't be nervous about straying away from a Recommended setting. It's a very good Starting Point...Let yer Eyes/Brain be the Judge & Jury.

Something I've been doing for years:
Calibrate with whatever disc. Save to Memory & Take pics of yer settings. Tweak, Take Pictures. Take Pictures of yer settings anytime for any/all modes etc. Don't just save em to the TV's Memory...Pictures are valuable backups & very easy to revisit when ya feel like recalibrating or in the case something happens to yer TV's saved settings.

Lets not get confused here. "Brightness" is not dependant on room conditions. It is crucial to set it right . A good rule of thumb if you don't have a disc, etc. is to play a 'letterboxed' movie. You want a black object in the picture section (a totally dark night sky, a black stovepipe hat etc.) to match the black of the letterbox borders. That is why I paid a premium for the OLED TV. If I play a letterboxed movie at night, it is impossible to tell where the picture ends and the letterbox begins. It looks like I bought a 2.35:1 sized TV.

It is the "Backlight" (a 'new' setting for LCD TVs, it didn't exist for CRTs) adjustment is where the room conditions really come into play. Just juicing the overall picture (let's face it, what good's a "perfect" picture if you can't see it with all the shades up and the gang is over watching the World Series?) is less damaging than upping the 'Brightness' so pump the Backlight up (and if you really have to, 'Contrast'/'Brightness', but if you have settings memories, do what I suggested. Set your 'perfect' in very low light and save it, then a pumped up version for bright room light.

Yes, thanks for correcting that. I guess I am still using outdated jargon from when I owned a plasma. Since I don't have any emissive displays any more, I should stop. What is it called with OLEDs?

4k TVs have a beautiful, sharp upscaled picture from Dish, sometimes hard to tell the difference from TV's native app's Netflix 4k streaming. It's your TV. Have you set it to dot for dot (or the Tv's equivalent)?

I'm sorry, but what have you been smoking?! No way in the world does the DISH signal even come near to Apps, OTA direct and even DISH OTA. I have yet to get 4K from the YouTube and Netflix apps on the box, 1080/60i nominal from an H3 running U522 on a Samsung 55" SUHD QLED. I had the same problems when I got my DLP in 2008 and upgraded to a HD/1080i box on September 16, 2008. Boy do I remember that day. Although DLP can make anything look fantastic, there was a marked difference between DISH (flat and soft), DISH OTA (really good), OTA direct (Great!), Blu-ray (Incredible) and apps off the BDP (Still Incredible).

When I mentioned this same topic when I got the DLP and noticed the difference or lack of PQ, I was told that I would not get the PQ from the DISH box that you get from other sources. The compression and variance in resolution makes the DISH signal flat. Now I'm constantly messing with settings that I got the base adjustments from RTings.com, when using the H3 that i don't have to touch when using any other source. Just fired up Netflix off the H3 and put on an "Ultra HD 4K" program and it's coming over 1920x1080/60i. After reading a thread that spoke of this, I dinked around with the box and got a 4K picture for about 10 minutes. Not impressed. The recent U522 update only gave me accurate resolution markings on the programs, but not what's being said on the TV itself.

AND something I noticed when I first go my 4K is that commercials on the H3 are ironically bright, crisp and colorful. As the volume has been loud, the image is now "loud". I find that prophetically ironic.

P.S.
I have no idea where the link above are coming from. I did not actively place or can get rid of them.

Last edited:
OK, now all of you have got me scared. I am planning to replace my 2010 60" Sony with a 75" Samsung 4K. Am I going to have a problem since my receiver is just a VIP 722?????

OK, now all of you have got me scared. I am planning to replace my 2010 60" Sony with a 75" Samsung 4K. Am I going to have a problem since my receiver is just a VIP 722?????
I just got a 75 Samsung 4k TV (NU8000) and out of the box the picture didn't look like anything special. Kind of like my old Mitsubishi DLP. That said, I calibrated it using most of the recommended settings for this TV from RTNGS.COM. After applying them, I set the picture quality to natural and I now have a really outstanding picture. I can only imagine how good this TV must look with some actual 4k HDR content, but since mostly none is available, I'll have to settle for what I've got, but it ain't bad.

Reactions: johnwadams
Ekilgus; What DISH receiver are you using? My concern is everybody appears to have the Hopper and I only have a VIP 712.
The 722 is not a 4k capable receiver. That said, there isn’t a tremendous amount of 4K out there. The Hopper 3 is capable and has several more features but is not totally necessary for your new 4K TV. Your 722 will work just fine. I would recommend that you upgrade to Hopper 3 though to get all you can get out of your new TV. If your 722 is your only receiver you might be surprised in the difference in cost, which might be nothing.

Reactions: SandFarmer
Ekilgus; What DISH receiver are you using? My concern is everybody appears to have the Hopper and I only have a VIP 712.
I have the HWS. Hoppers have more capability than the VIP series receivers but I don't believe providing a better picture is one of them. Both receivers render the same 1080i.

I have the HWS. Hoppers have more capability than the VIP series receivers but I don't believe providing a better picture is one of them. Both receivers render the same 1080i.

Because of the improved chipsets and other technical reasons the Hopper family does indeed have a sharper and more clear picture than the 722's. In fact, the Hopper CUI has a cleaner picture than the original Hopper UI.

Thank you. Glad you caught typo, 722 instead of 712. OK, now looks like I may have to trade my 722 for a Hopper CUI. My other DVR is a 612 which just failed and I will have a new ??? by UPS next week.

As to some other comments in this thread, I use an external hard drive and have noticed that when i record 1 hour OTA programs, they are almost twice the size of 1 hour recorded off SAT. I can see the results of DISH compression on channels like TNT, USA and FX. I don't notice it much on CBS and NBC off DISH or off sports off various stations on DISH. 1/2 the year I record networks off DISH and the other 1/2 off OTA.

At this point, all I have that works is a 722. I do not know what they are sending me to replace the 612, except they do not want the old one back. The 4K will not be an issue until next spring, so I have some time to figure out what to do. I do want two freestanding DVR's.

I just got a 75 Samsung 4k TV (NU8000) and out of the box the picture didn't look like anything special. Kind of like my old Mitsubishi DLP. That said, I calibrated it using most of the recommended settings for this TV from RTNGS.COM. After applying them, I set the picture quality to natural and I now have a really outstanding picture. I can only imagine how good this TV must look with some actual 4k HDR content, but since mostly none is available, I'll have to settle for what I've got, but it ain't bad.

The KU, MU, NU, et al for some time, lines are stop gap product lines until they fully release and solidify their new releases.

"If you go with Samsung, the DISH box will be the least of your problems." "Don't Do Samsung!" "They have been losing in the Quality and Support Department, for all their products, for some time now." And since they were releasing their new gear this year they let all other TV product lines fall behind. The 2017-20ish lines are going to be stop gap products until they solidify the new lines. I lucked out when I got my 2016, it was the last of the "good" lines and last of the "obviously marked" lines. BUT I am reading in the Samsung forums that my model is starting to fail now. Did I mention that their Tech Support, Customer Support and Warranty Support really sucks!!!

Thank you. Glad you caught typo, 722 instead of 712. OK, now looks like I may have to trade my 722 for a Hopper CUI. My other DVR is a 612 which just failed and I will have a new ??? by UPS next week.

As to some other comments in this thread, I use an external hard drive and have noticed that when i record 1 hour OTA programs, they are almost twice the size of 1 hour recorded off SAT. I can see the results of DISH compression on channels like TNT, USA and FX. I don't notice it much on CBS and NBC off DISH or off sports off various stations on DISH. 1/2 the year I record networks off DISH and the other 1/2 off OTA.

For some reason I had to watch "The Last Ship" off the TNT app on my TV. The PQ difference was amazing. So much so I can see why people are cutting the cord and all the networks and purveyors are pounding out apps. Oh and I found the CUI to be more MGKCUI (More Grey Kinda Carbon UI). You'll see the acronym I started scattered around in the CUI threads . . .

Reactions: johnwadams
For those of you keeping score, that would be a ViP722 in Single Mode. ;)
(An actual 712 would be the XiP712, aka Hopper Duo.)

At this point, all I have that works is a 722. I do not know what they are sending me to replace the 612, except they do not want the old one back. The 4K will not be an issue until next spring, so I have some time to figure out what to do. I do want two freestanding DVR's.
May I recommend the Wally with an external hard drive? That is a good freestanding DVR, especially if you do not care about 4K.

For those of you keeping score, that would be a ViP722 in Single Mode. ;)
(An actual 712 would be the XiP712, aka Hopper Duo.)

May I recommend the Wally with an external hard drive? That is a good freestanding DVR, especially if you do not care about 4K.
Or his existing 722 is just fine until he wants to go 4K...

Reactions: dare2be
I don't have a source for 4K at the present. I can barely stream HD. I am in a rural area with a 10Mbps DSL modem. I just don't wish to wind up like the OP and buy a 4K set and have a poorer picture than on my current 2010 Sony 60". And regarding Samsung, any suggestions regarding other brands? Sound and Vision had some positive comments for the Vizio "F" series. They are back-lit compared to comparable Samsung's which are side-lit. I currently have the Sony 60" ,a Sony 40", a Vizio 47" and 2, 2012 Panasonic's and had no problems with any. We just want a larger set than 60" for our main tv here and have a place in Texas where we can use the 60" Sony.
Thanks for all the responses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts