DISH and 4K

No, they come by about once a month, place a very colorful flyer on your house. You put your address on the flyer, attach it to the item and they pick it up on the day that they say they will be by. A while back, I put a dead refrigerator out there and they picked it up...
Nice service. Wish we had it here. Now, if they'd come inside and cart off my 36" CRT without me having to lift a finger, I'd be a REALLY happy camper.

Damn thing works perfectly, with that converter box.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

I think 10 years is reasonable to get, but not to expect.
Almost 10 years ago I bought a JVC LCoS RPTV, planning on it lasting five years. Now, at almost ten, it's working fine and it's free money.

But when I buy the next one, I expect it to last at least ten years. I keep everything plugged into a very nice line conditioner/UPS.

We moved my dads old 40in RCA crt he won in a raffle contest out to the garage about 8 years ago when he got an LCD and moved his old hdtv to the patio where that beast had been. Thing weighed a ton and my brother in law and I could barely lift it the 6ft in the air to put it on top of a shelf that ran around the perimeter of the garage. Worked great with converter and was linked to the tv2 distribution on 722. Well dad sold his big house last month and downsized to a new one being built and my brother in law and I are not as young as we used to be, so needless to say the new owners of the house inherited that monster. Still worked great

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I didn't know they ever made them that big. Not something I'd want to touch, regardless of how much help I had.

Almost 10 years ago I bought a JVC LCoS RPTV, planning on it lasting five years. Now, at almost ten, it's working fine and it's free money
Mine's working pretty well, but it may be suffering from the yellow blotches problem. I'm on my second lamp.
But when I buy the next one, I expect it to last at least ten years. I keep everything plugged into a very nice line conditioner/UPS.
I expect that you'll be disappointed (or you'll find out that it doesn't meet your needs).

Everyone talking about older CRT type TVs, answer this: How many "threw away" a perfectly working CRT after getting a flat-panel ?
I gave my SD CRT to a friend when I bought my HD CRT.

I still have my 27" SD CRT in my bedroom next to my 32" flat-panel. If I have to watch SD, I still prefer to watch SD content on a SD CRT than a flat-panel.

Nice service. Wish we had it here. Now, if they'd come inside and cart off my 36" CRT without me having to lift a finger, I'd be a REALLY happy camper.

Damn thing works perfectly, with that converter box.

I called my 37 year old son to help me with it. I like his kind of help, he picked it up and moved it to the garage floor. I didn't have to lift a finger! I used my foot to get it the rest of the way when pickup day came....

Reactions: navychop
Mine's working pretty well, but it may be suffering from the yellow blotches problem. I'm on my second lamp.I expect that you'll be disappointed (or you'll find out that it doesn't meet your needs).
You may be right. But with luck, my next one will be a second generation, 60"+ OLED at a reasonable price. Years off.

IMO, line conditioners are waste of money, most electronics have power regulation circuits built in the power supply board.

Moving on, 4k is NOT a fad.

Calling 4k a fad would be like calling 1080p a fad. It's an increase in picture quality.

Creating a disc player is easy, but creating any type of broadcast TV will be difficult.

Consider that dish and directvs dishes have 3 sats, and not everything is in HD yet!

So that makes one wonder how they will go 4k without adding more satellites. I don't know much about satellite broadcasting, but I think they will have to launch sats that can transmit data at a faster speed for 4ktv.

Either that or have a 6 LNB dish,that wont look pretty.

Also, your gonna need a much bigger hard drive. Current one in the hopper is two terrabytes, were talking 10-15 TB, and that does not even exist yet.

I had a 32 inch Sony Trinitron TV that have great picture, When we bought a 60 inch Panasonic flat screen 5 years ago
We moved the older TV in the basement DOWNSTAIRS :eeek which was definitely a struggle trying one step each at a time

Needless to say it's still sitting there. That thing weighs a ton, And I was sore for 3 days also ;)

I did an install a coupe days ago and the customer was a mover and they where upgrading into the hopper joeys and adding an extra room so they didnt have an extra tv I told them I was going to download and activate the box and tag the account with missing tv tag and the box should be plug and play. The only thing is that they would have to program the remote etc.... Customer (husband) was no need for that told the wife to go buy a new tv for the living room for the hopper and that tv was being moved to a bedroom. She returns like 40 minutes later with a big hisense 4k smart tv, anyways I was going through the initial set up and the remote has a mouse cursor after being linked. I was like whoa this is pretty cool(first time I have seen that)called the customer into living room and said hey check this out ever seen again like it? He said nope and thought it was cool too.

The remote works as a mouse cursor.

IMO, line conditioners are waste of money, most electronics have power regulation circuits built in the power supply board.
Regulation and line conditioning serve two significantly different purposes. Regulation circuits (and other electronic safeguards) don't work if there's not enough line voltage to power them.
Moving on, 4k is NOT a fad.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion.
Calling 4k a fad would be like calling 1080p a fad. It's an increase in picture quality.
For those who live and die by the published specs, maybe. For the rest who literally cannot perceive the difference at normal viewing distances, it is kind of a waste of bandwidth and storage space.

The whole 1080p thing was as much a marketing gimmick to get people to replace 1080i sets as it was a perceptible picture improvement.

The whole 1080p thing was as much a marketing gimmick to get people to replace 1080i sets as it was a perceptible picture improvement.

1080p is a part of the HD spec, it isn't marketing gimmick created to sell tv's to people with 1080i sets. Playing Blu-Rays on a 1080p set is a huge upgrade in pq, especially compared to the hd-lite that cable/satellite providers have or the bit-starved pq from ota stations that share the hd channel with a couple of sub-channels.

I feel sorry for people who can't tell the difference between 1080p and 4K. Probably the same people who buy $300 50" tv's and think those have great pq.

I feel sorry for people who can't tell the difference between 1080p and 4K.
The physics of human vision prevents most (if not all) humans from seeing a difference at the normal viewing distances. We have only so many cones per square inch with which to resolve an image.

Theoretically the 4K TVs are less dogged by Screen Door Effect than LCD, DLP or Plasma displays, but most people don't see that at distance either. The brain does a pretty remarkable job of smoothing things out.

Ah, so you're saying that the people who do see a remarkable difference in PQ between 1080i, 1080p and 4K have slower processing brains? Gotcha. :D

My sister and bro in law had a Sony CRT that lasted over twenty years that was actually made in Japan.The repairman couldn't get parts for it.(tight wads)So I purchased me a 55 inch Vizio the day my divorce came final to celebrate and gave them my Sony 36 inch CRT flat screen.Had to use hand trucks with straps to get it moved but the #1 reason I wanted a big screen was the fact most of the old TV programs they upverted to HD on Netflix was in a small black box.Even a review on Cnet stated that 1080p looks good on a 4K TV.

Ah, so you're saying that the people who do see a remarkable difference in PQ between 1080i, 1080p and 4K have slower processing brains? Gotcha. :D
Several self-proclaimed audiophiles I know are down 25dB in the upper end of their range but they're absolutely convinced they can still hear it plain as day. Perception can be tinkered with but physics cannot.

I just had a customer tell me that she can't tell the difference between HD and SD in her house. I couldn't help but chuckle a little but maybe it's not noticeable for her. She said it's a 47" TV but maybe she sits 15 feet away from it.

The whole problem with the 4k push is that it will not be delivered to anyone at the PQ potential it is capable. Look at today's HD. It has been a long time since I've seen anything from Dish that compares to what HD should be or has been. Most of all HD delivered today is no better than what DVDs were delivering 12 years ago. Some shows are intentionally "derezing" to protect the onscreen folks from looking imperfect. Bit rates allocated to shows are minimized directly causing poorer PQ. Non of this is going to change because they are now putting out "4kTV". If they won't show HD to its potential, what makes you thing 4k with result in improved PQ?

Reactions: TheKrell
I just had a customer tell me that she can't tell the difference between HD and SD in her house. I couldn't help but chuckle a little but maybe it's not noticeable for her. She said it's a 47" TV but maybe she sits 15 feet away from it.
That's a case of "doesn't care about the difference".

Reactions: DWS44

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts