Dish and Direct - Why both

I like E* Premier packs better. And local options. I like D* sports options and HD PQ a little better then E*. I've had D* first and they had no HD so I switch to E* . and I would never drop either. Unless Fios came to town.Only because Premiums are most important to me. Not HD so much.

Both, cause...

only DISH offers the Superstation package, which is why I left Directv. I went back to Directv because DISH can't provide an HD signal in NW WA, via the 129 (hunk of junk satellite)!

I have Directv for one show : Passions on the 101.My wife had to have it . Since that show has now been cancelled for the second time and once that show is through its run this summer , Directv will be cut off. I have had them before for one year back in 2003 but I saw nothing to keep me with them. I have had DISH For 11 years on the 18th of next month. I perfer DISH over Directv.

I have had E* for many years provided by my company. I got D* a little over a year ago in anticipation o the new HD being launched. Like em both for diferent reasons.

I too have both and really use the D* DVR to record up to two additional OTA when at the same time I am using the DISH VIP 622 ONE OTA tuner. Yes I thought I may cancel one at some time but with my large investment (for me being retired that is) I can justify the costs. I have always had D* and added E* when they added VOOM HD after I lost their original service. Have the everything pack with DISH and the external 750GB hard drive. Use that the most and at present happier with that system, and the use of it. Don't have the full package with D* and off the top of my head really have only found FXHD to record that is not presently on E*. When the installer came over to up-grade the D* system to MPEG4 he said it was the first time he had seen both systems side-by-side and he agreed at that time DISH seemed to have better PQ in HD. To be fair that may not now be the case since that was before MPEG4 was added to D*. Now I really don't see much difference.

As far as my old TV he said it had about the best HD picture he had ever seen. Don't think it was just BS since I am still very impressed too. Have three LCDs also that do have a better picture in SD, however. Never planned to keep this Toshiba 65H80 Projection this long and wanted a SED replacement. They are back in the news this week, but if I had to replace it now (bought a extended service contract after the 5 year warranty ran out) I don't know what LCD I would buy, but it would have to be 65" or larger.

I have had Direct since 97 or 98 I kept it because I have distant networks with it and the old package doesn't cost me much. Have had DISH since the Dishplayer came out, mainly because of the Superstation package. At that time it was the only way I could get WB and UPN for Star Trek and Buffy and such. I can't go without a dvr now and have always preferred the Dish dvr's even with the occasional problems (and the Dishplayer had many towards the end of it life). I don't think I will upgrade the Direct now, unless Dish starts pricing itself out of the competition.

Yup thats why I went with Dish, UPN Scrambled the C-Band feed... so the supers were a natural ;) Star Trek brought me to dish also...

Funny you mention Star Trek. That was the origional reason I went with DISH over DIRECTV back in 97. My local cable company dropped UPN and that meant no Voyager. So when Prime Star went bust I went with DISH because I could get the superstations and Star TRek Voyager.

E* for superstation package and Voom (I have 20-30 Rave concerts archieved). D* for NFLST, NBA LP, sports package, HD premium channels (HBO, SHO, STARZ, TMC) Smithsonian and local NBC affiliate HD feed (which is unavailable on E*). Wife and I split E* bill each month; I foot the bill for D*.

So, I've contemplated getting both...might still do it, but wondering this...a PITA to switch btwn the two services? I imagine it would be like not having my OTA integrated into my 622s.

Assume y'all have the receivers set to diff TV inputs, and have to switch inputs to switch btwn services.

Do you really do that a lot? me thinks i'd forget to to use the lesser-watched service, as i am too lazy sometimes to get up and put a DVD into the DVD player. I do have a Harmony 880, so would be fairly easy to set two services up...

I just signed up for Direct. I will have both. I have two tv rooms so I will have one with Direct and other 4 tv remain with Dish. Got the $99 deal on the hd dvr and $200 rebates on programming. I figure in 2 years that I have Direct, I will be able to decide for myself who is the best.:)

I have both only because Dish no longer has the MLBEI package. My wife has to have her baseball and especially the Dodgers. So I have my "address" in SoCal to get the local stations that broadcast the Dodgers. When baseball season is over I put the account in suspension until the next year. I have been with Dish for 11 years and have no plans whatsoever to move because one has a bunch more HD channels. What Dish provides to me is just fine and the quality looks pretty good on my plasma. Plus, the DVR I have works great and the wife likes it so that's that.

I activated a H20 Saturday, so I have the 921, 622 for dish (811 died) and a H10, SirT360(one of these will be deactivated this weekend) H20 and HR20 with direct now...
Is the SirT360 a samsung? I would dump that .after 3 years all of my old Samsungs for some reason stopped downloading the program guide.Thats what brought me to my First H-20 That I might add I paid $199 for in Febuary of 06.But you do know I'm sure the H-10 won't work on the new HD programming .

I have Directv for one show : Passions on the 101.My wife had to have it . Since that show has now been cancelled for the second time and once that show is through its run this summer , Directv will be cut off. I have had them before for one year back in 2003 but I saw nothing to keep me with them. I have had DISH For 11 years on the 18th of next month. I perfer DISH over Directv.

What do you mean Passions has been canceled for the "second time"? Since when? I thought Directv bought them wholesale, just so they could grab those viewers? I know it's still showing on Bell Expessvu, on the Superchannel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts