Dish Answers your 811 Questions

peid said:
Interesting.....can't be a setting I wouldn't think!

I just got my 811 and it has the same problem, can't return to previous non-OTA channel. Installer said software. We'll see.

Is anybody else having an audio dropout problem? Was in the middle of a movie, heard snap, crackle pop and lost all audio. Was using the digital audio out at the time so I hooked up the analog audio and it didn't work either. Call the service center, ended up doing a front panel reset which got back my analog but the digital still isn't working. Service center said, you guessed it, "software" and I was told to wait for next release. Have had to do the reset several times lately. Getting worse?

^^^gacton, My 811 is only a week old and I am having the same problem you are having. I am only using the analog outs because I can't seem to get my Yamaha receiver to recognize the optical jack! I have to unplug the 811 because the thing locks up and the remote won't work! I will bring up another question, Is there a problem with the optical out jack? Thanks for help.

ingramba said:
^^^gacton, My 811 is only a week old and I am having the same problem you are having. I am only using the analog outs because I can't seem to get my Yamaha receiver to recognize the optical jack! I have to unplug the 811 because the thing locks up and the remote won't work! I will bring up another question, Is there a problem with the optical out jack? Thanks for help.

I've been using the optical output to my Sony amp since I installed the 811 a couple weeks ago. A couple times when I would switch between S-Video and DVI the audio would go away but switching to another channel and back would restore the audio. I'm using the S-Video to the TV from TIVO and analog audio out of TIVO to the amp so I am also swapping audio inputs at the amp which may be causing the audio to drop out once in a while.

I'm also having a problem with my remote. When I point it at the 811 it doesn't work. If I point it at the ceiling it works perfectly. ???

ingramba said:

Regarding your Yamaha receiver..... My son has one and he had a problem when he first got it. Apparently there was some confusion as to what jack was what. If you think it is in the first jack it may be really in the second jack. Try telling the receiver it is the other jack. Sorry I cant be more specific but I dont know which jack you are using/or think you are using.

Bette

ingramba said:

There is a problem with the optical out. I can use my DVD optical out into the same input of my amplifier and it works fine. I just don't know if it is a dish811 software or a hardware problem.

Regarding Audio optical output......

Have you properly selected the Digital Audio ?

Choices are (1) PCM, (2) Dolby (3) PCM & Dolby

Proper selection depends on your receiver/amplifier spec.

I was hoping to give more specific instructions in finding the proper menu, however, I can't find it after looking in the 811 User Manual. It woul be great to have a user manual with stuff specific to the 811.

Since Dish insists on doing the installation, why are there over 30 pages of installation details (same as other receivers)-almost haf of the 811 Manual !

Hope this tip helps.

Bob

Well, I plugged in my optical cable to my 811 just for the heck of it last night and what do you know, It works! I was getting some HBO and Showtime in DD and some of the channels in the HD pack were DD. I have a question, Are the HD OTA channels broadcast in DD? I was watching Leno and Joan of Arcadia last night and didn't notice it. Thanks for replys! Bill :usa

"Are the HD OTA channels broadcast in DD?"

Yes they are,just not always in 5.1(most are Dolby Digital 2.0)

Some OTA HD is broadcast in DD5.1 If your local station is able to pass that on to you is a local issue.

ingramba said:
Well, I plugged in my optical cable to my 811 just for the heck of it last night and what do you know, It works! I was getting some HBO and Showtime in DD and some of the channels in the HD pack were DD. I have a question, Are the HD OTA channels broadcast in DD? I was watching Leno and Joan of Arcadia last night and didn't notice it. Thanks for replys! Bill :usa

CBS doesn't do 5.1 except for a few live programs like the Super Bowl and the Grammys. NBC does very little as well. ABC does a lot of its prime time in 5.1. All of them are DD but are either pro logic or 5.1.

docbog said:
Regarding Audio optical output......

Have you properly selected the Digital Audio ?

Choices are (1) PCM, (2) Dolby (3) PCM & Dolby

Proper selection depends on your receiver/amplifier spec.

I was hoping to give more specific instructions in finding the proper menu, however, I can't find it after looking in the 811 User Manual. It woul be great to have a user manual with stuff specific to the 811.

Since Dish insists on doing the installation, why are there over 30 pages of installation details (same as other receivers)-almost haf of the 811 Manual !

Hope this tip helps.

Bob

I was listening to the digital out when it went away, so I'm gonna assume that it was set up correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts