Dish Answers your 811 Questions

Nbtstatic said:
Ummmm, right, boy that helps.

Not to be any more flippant than I was with my first response, but:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=dvi+cable

Take your pick. If you can't help yourself from this, I am out of suggestions.

It should. The DVIs I have all work with any combination of computer/monitor TV/811 that I have.

ATI Radeon 9000 Pro W/ DVI-I
811 with DVI-D
Cornea 17" LCD W/ DVI-D
50" Samsung DLP with DVI-D

All my DVI cables are 10' DVI-D Male-Male; had from Ebay @ 4 for $28. They are Belkin OEM for IBM LCDs. I was told a company upgraded all their monitors to LCDs and it was more cost effective to throw them away than try to sell them. Some enterprising employee stepped in to sell them.

If you can still find a seller from Fargo, that's the guy.

which paperwork

Does anybody have a link to a real manual - all i got so far is the 1 page spec sheet (basically just an ad). I'd like to review it before my scheduled install - doesnt seem right that a dish subscription is needed to get OTA

"If you cancel your Dish service can you still use the 811 to receive OTA HD?"

This came up a while back... It was said as long as your receiver still gets the signal from the satellite (preview channels maybe?) it will work and get OTA. So it would seem that you must leave the dish itself pointed at the satellite and have the coax connected to the receiver box.

811 PIP while using program guide

Just got Dish installed this weekend with the 811 and HD Pack. One thing I've found annoying is how I cannot watch the current channel while browsing the program guide (I'm using a DVI cable if that matters). The 301 does not have this inconvenience.

Anybody know if it's possible to do this with the 811? It'd be great for Dish to build this feature in.

Re: 811 PIP while using program guide

darkhorse said:
Just got Dish installed this weekend with the 811 and HD Pack. One thing I've found annoying is how I cannot watch the current channel while browsing the program guide (I'm using a DVI cable if that matters). The 301 does not have this inconvenience.

Anybody know if it's possible to do this with the 811? It'd be great for Dish to build this feature in.

You can do it, there is a setting in the menu that allows a "Video w/ Partial Menu" or "Full Menu".

Something like that.

Although it seems to "Search for signal" more often than display the picture.

I got my 811 installed yesterday too. I keep adding my local ATV & DTV channels to the guide (it automatically links the DTV number to the ATV number), and it seams that after I watch one of those channels, it disappears from the guide. If I go into the local channel setup, both the ATV & DTV channels are there but they aren't labeled or linked.

I also don't get the picture in the partial guide setup. Just the aquiring message.

As for the voom feature, I noticed that depending on which zoom you use, you loose part of the top and bottom of the picture. I think that the stretch one shows the whole picture, but it looks like crap.

I'm sure Dish will fix those problems, I just hope they do it soon before the wife kills me.

Re: 811 PIP while using program guide

peid said:
You can do it, there is a setting in the menu that allows a "Video w/ Partial Menu" or "Full Menu".

Something like that.

Although it seems to "Search for signal" more often than display the picture.

Thanks. I also noticed the video doesn't show up 100% of the time.

One other thing that terribly bothers me right now is the fact I can't Channel Switch or whatever you want to call it between two channels one in OTA HDTV and the other in DTV.

For instance, I bought my locals over the satellite so they are in the 9,XXX numbers, but my local HD are in the teens. I can't flip between the two to compare. Whereas I can do it on ESPN, channel 140 or whatever and ESPN HD on channel 9,XXX.

Understand what I am trying to get at?

You accomplish this by pushing the "Recall" button on the remote, but it doesn't work with the OTA.

Anybody else have this problem and know of a fix?

peid said:
One other thing that terribly bothers me right now is the fact I can't Channel Switch or whatever you want to call it between two channels one in OTA HDTV and the other in DTV.

For instance, I bought my locals over the satellite so they are in the 9,XXX numbers, but my local HD are in the teens. I can't flip between the two to compare. Whereas I can do it on ESPN, channel 140 or whatever and ESPN HD on channel 9,XXX.

Understand what I am trying to get at?

You accomplish this by pushing the "Recall" button on the remote, but it doesn't work with the OTA.

Anybody else have this problem and know of a fix?

Everyone else is having this problem. Dish is aware of it and a fix should come in the next software download.

I don't have that problem with my 811. I jump back and forth via RECALL between my OTA DTV station and my Dish local for comparisons. Wife likes the OTA PQ. Too bad I can't get all my locals yet via OTA.

Carl B said:
I don't have that problem with my 811. I jump back and forth via RECALL between my OTA DTV station and my Dish local for comparisons. Wife likes the OTA PQ. Too bad I can't get all my locals yet via OTA.

Interesting.....can't be a setting I wouldn't think!

I am a little ignorant on the subject, so bear with me.
Are you saying that if I use the S video connection, I will be able to get 119 and 110 at the same time?

When I go to test say, 110, I don't have a sat signal. The bottom line info is in the red. When I go to 119, it is otay and in the green

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts