Dish Answers your 811 Questions

DVI Cable

I got a 4m DVI-D dual cable through eBay for $10 shipped, and it appears to be a pretty good cable. When I get my 811 installed today (hopefully) I can let you know how it works.

On a side note, I have a Toshiba 57HX83, which has 2 component 1080i inputs and a DVI input. I have a progressive scan dvd player and a Replay 5040 with progressive out as well, but using component cables. Suffice it to say, I'm quite happy to be able to use DVI so that I can have three progressive/HD sources hooked up simultaneously. Not to mention, I paid less for the DVI than I did the component cables...just wish that I didn't have to run a separate audio feed...

Replay and 811

ROLLTIDE said:
Does anyone have replay hooked up to there 811 ?

I've got my Replay5040 connected to the S-video output of the 811. Recording SD satellite programming works as expected (modulo the dark output problem).

I had hoped to record down converted OTA digital broadcasts as well, but I'm having issues with that:

- Aspect settings seem to have no effect on the S-video output. I get black bars top and bottom with HDTV programs, and black bars top, bottom, and sides on digital 4:3 material. This makes the output mostly unusable for Replay recording. S-video output of SD satellite channels fills the entire screen.

- I'm having PSIP mapping issues with my local NBC station (WRC). It's broadcasting on 48, and it should map to 4-1, but it maps to 48-1. The ReplayTV channel guide knows I have a channel 4, but not a 48, so it wouldn't be able to tune the 811.

-Steve

omard. said:
Does anybody have a Tivo hooked up to there 811?

Yes I had it hooked up via S-VID and it works fine ... I moved the 811 to another room ... awaiting the 921 <sigh>

how about my crappy panny 4:3

OK - dont mean to be one of those guys that just asks questions - but I want to sign for dishnetwork but the 811s specs arent very forthcoming. My panny 4:3 doesnt auto recognize a hd signal and adjust to a 16:9 pic - so I need the option of a physical letterbox mode (that some but not all stbs offer). I kknow that this reduces the lines from 1080 down to 810 for the letterbox window, but I'll take it if the 811 works. Can anyone confirm that this is the case - if so I can go from only OTA to additonal hd programs.

Thanks

D

What DVI cable should I get ? Will I notice that much of a difference over Component ?

The tv will be a dish RCA 34 .

Re: DVI Cable

CFilkins said:
I got a 4m DVI-D dual cable through eBay for $10 shipped, and it appears to be a pretty good cable. When I get my 811 installed today (hopefully) I can let you know how it works.

On a side note, I have a Toshiba 57HX83, which has 2 component 1080i inputs and a DVI input. I have a progressive scan dvd player and a Replay 5040 with progressive out as well, but using component cables. Suffice it to say, I'm quite happy to be able to use DVI so that I can have three progressive/HD sources hooked up simultaneously. Not to mention, I paid less for the DVI than I did the component cables...just wish that I didn't have to run a separate audio feed...

10 Dollars?? Are they selling anymore, do you have a link?

Ummmm, right, boy that helps.

I guess the question is - Why are these cables like 5 bucks when monsters and most other brands are 100? Can it actually be just the "name brand" markup, or are these just really crappy cables.

Also, I have a 65" in route, and my 811 is coming on the 26th, are both ports on both devices female?

Thanks,
js

I bought the 100 dollar monstar cable. I also got one for 14 bucks. I can't tell any difference between the 2. I took the monstar back. On my setup I had to have a male to male cable. All 811's are female. You will have to look at the DVI on your tv to determine if it it is male or female. My guess would be female.

I think that I have a male to male DVi that came with my 17 inch Planor monitor from dell for $250

If that works I will use that before I spend more on a cable

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000BZNTE/103-9183252-3188627

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_monitor_cables.html#shq

Ram has a very good information on Cables. I got one at amazon 10 ft 20 bucks.

and the 811 is female