Dish Answers your 811 Questions

fotto said:
Norm,
Tried the "adjust" feature in the HD set-up but it appears to be another unsupported feature. I couldn't get the image to move at all.

As far as the black level, the more I watch this, the more I notice how much darker it really is. I've went into my Mits service menu and took GAMMA from 5 down to 3 to help it out, but it's still not where it should be.

A setting option in the 811 to tweak that would be nice.

Is anyone rolling up these additional issues that we are finding into Dish?

Floyd

Floyd, I looked at the adjust on mine, and its hard to say whether its working or not. It may not be...

Gamma, maybe another way to set certain levels that appear dark in video.. How do you access them? I have a 2000 Mitsu, and not sure whether I have access to those levels or not in my model.

I sent off an email to tech support last night to re-enforce and re-itterate the issues that I've seen personally about the 811, if they reply with any useful information, I'll pass it along.

The darker image, the more I watch, depending on the program, the more annoying it becomes, but if a fix is around the corner in a few days, week or two, I'll live with it, otherwise I may revert to my 6000 until I see this issue resolved. I'll see how it goes..

Guys, the black level is crushed.This also brings the gamma level down.Raising the brightness level won't help.Raising the gamma level won't help.If the blacks are crushed the image will suffer.This needs to be fixed,or I'm sending mine back. I hope they resolve this soon."She who must be obeyed" is not happy with the pq on sd. :oops:

Bad 811 ?

I am a new sub. as of last week. The installer came out and installed 2 301s, a DP34 switch, and 1 811. The 811 can not see the 119 Sat. The 2 301s can, we tried moving the 811 to the outlets were the 301s were and still same problem.

Has anyone seen this before on the 811? The installer and I called Dish customer support and they said it must be a bad 811, the installer said he would come back the next day with a new 811, but I have not heard from them since.

At least they left the 811 for me to watch OTA HD and the programing on the 110 seems to work ok.

(of course the aspect ratio issue is very bad)

The installer and I called Dish customer support and they said it must be a bad 811, the installer said he would come back the next day with a new 811, but I have not heard from them since.

You more than likely had a bad 811, they are probably waiting to get a replacement before coming back to replace it.

Guys, the black level is crushed.This also brings the gamma level down.Raising the brightness level won't help.Raising the gamma level won't help.If the blacks are crushed the image will suffer.

Its true, no amount of TV adjusting makes a significant difference in many dimly lit scenes. I may call and see how far up a chain I can get to see that this is resolved sooner rather than later.. It has to be in the code, you have to wonder why this was not noted before before 260 and 261 code was deployed. Hopefully a new 262 or 263 (higher?) code rev will come out this week and fix some of the more annoying PQ issues..

Norm,
I believe you should be able to adjust gamma on a 2000 model. If you let me know what model you have, I can give you the service code and proceedure if you haven't already figured it out.

Lowering the gamma setting did improve it a bit, but it's still not what it should be. Could be a bit more tolerable though until when/if it gets fixed in an update.

Floyd

Oh, by the way, one more thing (at least for now). Isn't the 811 supposed to have a stored 2 day program guide? I can't see out more than 3 hours or so before the dreaded "retreiving program information" appears.

Floyd

Floyd...

Thanks for the info, I'll ponder it, I looked around at the service menu stuff on the web and it looks like you can do some annoying things to your set if you don't know what your doing, so I may either revert to my 6000 if I find it overly annoying or hope that Dish gets new code out this week if nothing else, just to fix the darkness issue,

And as mentioned, and I sent feedback, as I am sure others have, that the two day guide is not functional and if you use the picture-in-quide, it can disappear too when you enter the guide because the guide isn't up to date.. annoying.. Sure is fast though, hopefully it will retain its speed when it has two days of data to scroll through.

That's fair enough, I didn't see the note on the EPG.

How about one more?

I have the Dish locals package for Cleveland. After the installer left I noticed I only had one of my locals listed in the EPG. AFter calling Dish I was told to do a front panel reset (hold power for 5 seconds or longer, then release). After resetting, it did pick up the locals, but it has dropped them twice since that. I haven't had any power outages or anything which could have affected this (to my knowledge).

Sorry if this has been discussed already.
Floyd

fotto said:
That's fair enough, I didn't see the note on the EPG.

How about one more?

I have the Dish locals package for Cleveland. After the installer left I noticed I only had one of my locals listed in the EPG. AFter calling Dish I was told to do a front panel reset (hold power for 5 seconds or longer, then release). After resetting, it did pick up the locals, but it has dropped them twice since that. I haven't had any power outages or anything which could have affected this (to my knowledge).

Sorry if this has been discussed already.
Floyd

Floyd I had to pull a breaker to do some electrical work in the house. Some of my locals were missing after re-setting the breaker. Do a check switch on 110 &119. The local were back after the check switch.
Ron

811 PQ/black level

Ron,
The check switch did add the locals back, thanks. Hopefully they will stay.

Everyone......I just called tech support to inquire about the black level and terrible PQ. He (Jason) said that it was NOT a known receiver issue. He volunteered and I asked that he submit an "unknown trend report" on this.

I suspect these reports get accumulated until there's enough of them to act on.

I would urge everyone to report this so it gets fixed. I personally consider this to be at or above the aspect ratio in importance to resolve.

Being a new member here, I don't want to overstep any boundaries trying to "rally the troops", as it appears there's some direct lines into Dish mgmnt'/engineering and maybe this is already in process.

I'm having a hard time accepting the 811 PQ as compared to ANY other Dish receiver I've had. It's like no one even looked at the output.

Regards,
Floyd

I got the same response this afternoon."Not a known Issue"He said he would submit a trend report.He(the guy in Advanced Tech Support) didn't even know what "crushed blacks" were.I also have a vertical shift on s video and component outputs.Also a hue shift on the same outputs.

I'm not seeing the update... still on P261.

I held the power button for 5 seconds until I got a reset. I'll wait an hour or two before calling.

Chris

BudShark said:
I'm not seeing the update... still on P261.

I held the power button for 5 seconds until I got a reset. I'll wait an hour or two before calling.

Chris

Turn it off overnight. Then check it in the morning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts