Dish Answers your 811 Questions

Re: will it work with a PVR

adar said:
I'm pondering whether to buy the 921 or a combination of the 811 and a PVR/DVD-R combination like the Panasonic DMR-E80H. There are some obvious differences, like the capability of recording HD programs, but I'm not sure I need that.

My question is whether the 811 will output s-video and component simultaneously and whether it can be driven by an IR blaster from the PVR.

Thanks,

Michel

Uh... bad news, the DMR-E80H has no IR blaster and cannot control any satellite or cable box.

Stuff like that is being discussed in this forum.

Ok Forgive me... I tried a search and couldnt find this. Im sure I saw someone mention the fact that they couldnt get the 811 to select either of the 4x3's, in the menu it would only do 16x9. Was there a fix for that or not? We took the 811 off our main tv and put it on a 36" non HD 4x3 because we actually liked the picture from the 6000 better on our HD and hated the aspect ratio problem. So for now it will be in our bedroom.

Isn't the 811, ala the 921, going to be able to receive the local OTA HD program guide and info transmitted my Dish over sat? I thought I had heard that was supposed to be the case, unless I am mistaken.
As it is right now the 6000 simply says LOCAL DIGITAL for the local OTA stations.
IF the 811 is capable IS Dish still planning to impement this service?

Man this would be nice.

Good question... if you read back in Scott's review (921 I think) he mentioned that this was a capability: to map to local guide info by station call letters. So far on the 811 I see NO functionality like this. It is identical to the 6000 for local channel setup.

Scott, any word on if this functionality will ever come?

811 bug

Has any body had trouble getting off air digital channels to store on the 811?

Re: 811 bug

Chuck Updyke said:
Has any body had trouble getting off air digital channels to store on the 811?

Yes. I had to scan to have it take two of my locals. Might be worth a try.

Just had 811 installed- LOL

Well, the satellite guy just left and i had a chance to play with my brand new 811. What a disappointment. I had some idea of what was coming, by perusing this and other forums, but I didn't think that I'd have to tear it down and reinstall my Dish 6000 (which I did).

The aspect ratio problem is totally unacceptable for my Mits 16x9 HD monitor. I don't plan to ever have burn in due to not being able to stretch SD to fill my screen. What was most disappointing was that the Zoom aspect ration option (the only other option vs. normal) didn't even work. I must have missed that in posts.

Secondarily, it appears to me that the 8VSB tuner is worse than the Dish 6000's, even without the high frequency whine. My local CBS digital station only came in at 49% vs. over 80% on the 6000.

All in all, this morning was a waste of time. Although I got the $149 deal, this unit is worth $0 to me right now.

I'll probably give it another go though when Dish get's their act together and releases the new software.

Floyd

Well My 811 also showed up today, and mine works fine. The ASTC - 8VSB tuner works better on mine than the 6000. I have read other reports of the same.

The aspect ratio issue is easily resolved by using the S-Video output for SD. Until new code is available to resolve this issue.

I have noted that the darker images can be somewhat resolved if you turn off black enhancement on your tv if you have that option.

Had no problems scanning for locals.. That worked fine and found all my DTV channels.

Picture quality appears to be the same as my 6000, though a touch darker perhaps. HD looks good..

Have not noted audio issues. Waiting for better code..

Norm

Norm,
Glad to hear your's did OK. I had S-Video out connected to my monitor as well to see how SD looked. Even on say, channels like HGTV or Discovery, I was getting letterboxing vs. full screen. On the 6000 you had to toggle the SD/HD to get what you want. Is the 811 auto sensing? If not, perhaps I had HD selected and was trying to view that mode over S-Video?

Were all of your SD channels full screen? Is there a manual way to select that? If so, I may give it another shot sooner than later. When I toggled the SD/HD input button, nothing changed as far as I could tell.

Floyd

Norm, is your audio on OTA analog broadcast stations properly balanced and at a proper line level?

Both of my 811's have had only left channel audio on both Toslink and L/R analog. This is only on OTA analog broadcast TV.

fotto said:
Norm,
Glad to hear your's did OK. I had S-Video out connected to my monitor as well to see how SD looked. Even on say, channels like HGTV or Discovery, I was getting letterboxing vs. full screen. On the 6000 you had to toggle the SD/HD to get what you want. Is the 811 auto sensing? If not, perhaps I had HD selected and was trying to view that mode over S-Video?

Were all of your SD channels full screen? Is there a manual way to select that? If so, I may give it another shot sooner than later. When I toggled the SD/HD input button, nothing changed as far as I could tell.

Floyd... for me, if I use the S-Video out, and select that input on my TV, I get full screen. If I select my component in on my TV, I get smaller screen sizes until I select an HD channel, where it goes to 16x9. This is the mode where having the aspect ratio software in place would of course be helpful..

I am getting the simultaneous output, which is what I want, so I can use one mode and not have to switch it on my TV. However until the aspect issue is resolved, its going to be similiar to the 6000. I am also piping this through my Yamaha 1400 which does up-conversion for all inputs, so I can switch it from there too. however I still have to select another mode on the TV to resolve aspect issues. to many modes.. Bottomline is, I can get Full screen..

Another thing I noted too, initially, when I turned on picture in guide, I would get a blank screen when in the guide with one of those cancel or wait messages, however after a half hour or so, the "p-i-g" would work fine, SD or HD modes.. And man, is that guide fast..

I think that the software can easily correct the darkness and aspect ratios, we just have to keep informing Dish of these issues if they persist with the subsequent releases of software for the 811.

For the price, I don't mind being a beta tester so-to-speak. As long as there aren't hardware issues, I can be patient and wait for the code updates, it looks ok so far.

Norm, is your audio on OTA analog broadcast stations properly balanced and at a proper line level?

Both of my 811's have had only left channel audio on both Toslink and L/R analog. This is only on OTA analog broadcast TV.

gpflepsen : I am using the digital audio and have also connected analog sound from the reciever, It depends on which mode I am using as to whether I am getting digital or analog audio.

In my initial listening, I was in a surround mode and most output from the programming was voice, coming from the center speaker, so I would have to play more to see if I can replicate your sound issue.

By and large, I am satisfied. I don't expect perfection on something like this out the starting gate, though I think they could perhaps have done a little better and at least had a complete feature set deployed.

I just hope there is a new software release in the near future and see if they get it right or at least better. I sure don't miss the fan noise from the 6000 8VSB module either.. I had to fix that once too, it was whining so loud you could hear it from anywhere in the house.

I have the same issue with my 811. Only left channel audio on both Toslink and L/R analog. This is only on OTA analog broadcast TV

720p vs 1080i

Nick said:
"...the 811 ships in 720p output mode, most HDTV's however do not support 720p..."

Brilliant engineering decision. :rolleyes:

Tech tip: If your HD tv does not support 720p, changing the 811 receiver's output to 1080i will initially require
using S-video or composite outs from the 811 to corresponding ins on your HD tv (or separate monitor) so you
can "see" the 811's menu/setup routine. Make sure your DVI cable or component cable is also connected so you
can still "see" the 811's menu screen when you switch your monitor to the 1080i input. Once you have achieved
1080i mode you can remove the S-video or composite connections, or leave them connected, as you prefer.

I have a Mitsubishi WS73903 with an external RGB-CV10 adapter module connected to the Mit HDTV video inputs. The adapter is looking for a 1080i signal. Also, there is no S-video jack on the adapter. Do I connect the 811 component outputs to the adapter or the Mit to view the 811 setup menu? And, do I connect the S-video cable to the Mit directly?

CraptorMan said:
I have the same issue with my 811. Only left channel audio on both Toslink and L/R analog. This is only on OTA analog broadcast TV

Thanks. Now I know I'm not crazy.

gpflepsen said:
CraptorMan said:

Thanks. Now I know I'm not crazy.

If I recall correctly, if the OTA station is transmitting mono, Left is the channel it is supposed to be on. (I may be wrong, it has happened before, I think I remeber this from many years past. And also, this may not pertain to the problem at hand.)

Norm,
Thanks for the info. It now appears that I'm getting the same as you are (hooked it back up, what a job swapping these out :( ), so I will just switch my Mits input depending on what I'm viewing.

One other thing I noticed is, when my picture was not at full screen I noticed a shift of the picture to the left. My overscan and centering is dead on (calibrated) so the 811 must be the culprit. It's only about an inch or so, but it's noticeable. I guess that I would need to assume it shifted at a full screen mode as well.

I thought I had read that someone else noticed this shift, but I can't remember where. Anyone else seeing this?

Floyd

fotto said:
Norm,
Thanks for the info. It now appears that I'm getting the same as you are (hooked it back up, what a job swapping these out :( ), so I will just switch my Mits input depending on what I'm viewing.

One other thing I noticed is, when my picture was not at full screen I noticed a shift of the picture to the left. My overscan and centering is dead on (calibrated) so the 811 must be the culprit. It's only about an inch or so, but it's noticeable. I guess that I would need to assume it shifted at a full screen mode as well.

I thought I had read that someone else noticed this shift, but I can't remember where. Anyone else seeing this?

Floyd

Floyd...

I can understand if you had to move a large Mitsu or some other stuff to get back there to connect another cable could be a pain.. I started that way, So I had those cables in place, though I recently got a new reciever, my Yamaha 1400, and adjusted a number of connections to make use of its new video capabilities, So I have an idea what you went through.

In the installation menu, there should be HDTV setup. On that screen there is an adjustment button that allows you to move the image, though an inch seems to be quite a bit.. However you can see what that screen will do for you.

I've also think what has to be adjusted in software to optimize the picture when it appears dark, its probably the RGB Levels. I am assuming this is software controlled, might even be nice if it were user controllable. That way one could optimize for one's TV.

Norm

Norm,
Tried the "adjust" feature in the HD set-up but it appears to be another unsupported feature. I couldn't get the image to move at all.

As far as the black level, the more I watch this, the more I notice how much darker it really is. I've went into my Mits service menu and took GAMMA from 5 down to 3 to help it out, but it's still not where it should be.

A setting option in the 811 to tweak that would be nice.

Is anyone rolling up these additional issues that we are finding into Dish?

Floyd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)