Dish Answers your 811 Questions

Actually the code are built into the remote already David. They are slightly different codes for the 811 then the standard IR codes.

What they need to do it to tell the 811 that its ok to listen to those code too. :)

Once that is done you can program the aux button on the remote, then program your pronto. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Pete I am told the aspect ratios controls on the 811 will work like the 6000's when the software is released.

I apologize if the information is easily accessible on this site, but as a potential new DISH customer that is highly interested in the 811's specs, could you elaborate on the aspect ratio controls of the 6000(or 811 if at all different)?

My studies so far have turned up nothing as far as what either the 6000 or the 811 do for aspect ratio control.

That sounds a little odd. I don't think the remote is software upgradable.
You're right.... an existing remote is not upgradable. However, they may be able to make a production change in future production runs.

Mark Sorensen said:
So programming a "learning" remote would require using another DISH Network remote (such as the Blue Button) to produce IR commands.
I'm not certain I understand what a "Blue Button" remote is. Will I be able to use my 501 remote to teach my Pronto 811 functions? What about the discrete on/off functions that the 501 lack?

With a Pronto can't you just download the current 6000 codes into the remote (they're at remotecentral.com)? All will be fine.

The problem is with a learnable remote without a PC connection (where you don't generally get Discrete On/Off anyway).

PS A JP1 remote would be fine too.

No no equipment change is necessary, just and software update is needed to let the 811 use the hidden backup codes which on are on the remote already.

David_Levin said:
With a Pronto can't you just download the current 6000 codes into the remote (they're at remotecentral.com)? All will be fine.

The problem is with a learnable remote without a PC connection (where you don't generally get Discrete On/Off anyway).

PS A JP1 remote would be fine too.

That's right! I've gotten alot of my codes from there. Do you know if the 6000 has descrete on/off? That's the one thing I hate about my 501.

Chonogo said:
Scott Greczkowski said:
Pete I am told the aspect ratios controls on the 811 will work like the 6000's when the software is released.

I apologize if the information is easily accessible on this site, but as a potential new DISH customer that is highly interested in the 811's specs, could you elaborate on the aspect ratio controls of the 6000(or 811 if at all different)?

My studies so far have turned up nothing as far as what either the 6000 or the 811 do for aspect ratio control.

Welcome, Chonogo.

The aspect ratios are used to fit a 4:3 broadcast to a 16:9 screen.
I'm not at home so I'm guessing.
I believe the 6000 has 5 ratios:
1. Normal (HD) - when the receiver detects HD content it will automatically go to normal.
2. Partial zoom - will zoom in enough to fill outside w/o cutting off too much top & bottom. May "stretch" alittle. You can get some digitalizing here.
3. Zoom - zooms in further than partial and will cut off some of the picture.
4. Black Bars - Maintains 4:3 ratio w/black side bars (will allow burn in).
5. Gray Bars - Same as Black Bars but with gray side bars to help prevent burn in.

I can't remember if there is a stretch ratio. These usually leave the top and bottom the same and stretch the sides to fill the screen. It can be annoying.

You cycle through the different ratios by pressing the * button on the remote.

Hope that helps and that I'm fairly close on the explanation. If not someone near their TV can correct me.
Larry

Not sure about the 6000, but I believe the 501 has discrete on/off codes....

They're listed in the jp1 upgrade files...

OBC codes are 57 & 32. You have to figure out how to get them into the pronto (as I inferred - you can't learn them from the E* remote).

Check Remote Central for a newer Pronto File.

Perhpas the 50x discrete on/off codes will work on the 6000. I believe the remotes are compatible and E* has been adding these to most of the boxes.

lapplegate said:
Chonogo said:
Scott Greczkowski said:

Welcome, Chonogo.

The aspect ratios are used to fit a 4:3 broadcast to a 16:9 screen.
I'm not at home so I'm guessing.
I believe the 6000 has 5 ratios:
1. Normal (HD) - when the receiver detects HD content it will automatically go to normal.
2. Partial zoom - will zoom in enough to fill outside w/o cutting off too much top & bottom. May "stretch" alittle. You can get some digitalizing here.
3. Zoom - zooms in further than partial and will cut off some of the picture.
4. Black Bars - Maintains 4:3 ratio w/black side bars (will allow burn in).
5. Gray Bars - Same as Black Bars but with gray side bars to help prevent burn in.

I can't remember if there is a stretch ratio. These usually leave the top and bottom the same and stretch the sides to fill the screen. It can be annoying.

You cycle through the different ratios by pressing the * button on the remote.

Hope that helps and that I'm fairly close on the explanation. If not someone near their TV can correct me.
Larry

Thanks for the info, Larry. It'd be interesting to find out what aspect ratio controls the 811 would have after the firmware upgrade. I'm not a big fan of zoom, and absolutely loathe the gray/black bar setup. I know the Sony/Zenith HD receivers you can get for $600+ have these capabilities, plus stretch, plus something called panorama, which leaves the center part of the screen intact, and stretches the outsides to fit the screen. I doubt this 811 would have the panorama, but if it has the aspect ratio controls you mention, plus stretch, I would be satisfied, especially when it's free.

will it work with a PVR

I'm pondering whether to buy the 921 or a combination of the 811 and a PVR/DVD-R combination like the Panasonic DMR-E80H. There are some obvious differences, like the capability of recording HD programs, but I'm not sure I need that.

My question is whether the 811 will output s-video and component simultaneously and whether it can be driven by an IR blaster from the PVR.

Thanks,

Michel

I have a Harmony remote and it was set up to control my 6000. I got my 811 today and the Harmony controlled it without any changes.

The question I have is this....
I now have a channel 1 on my guide ... "Back Panel Video Inputs"
I cant find any referrence to this in the manual or anyplace. What exactly does it do? :?:

It lets you plug in another source such as a VCR and upconvert it and output it to your HD TV.

Scott, does this meam I can plug my 510 into the back of the 811 without having to use adapters on the antenna RF imput? Is this imput S-video? I should know pretty soon anyway, the installer is supposed to be here inthe next couple of hours.

Any comments on the SD upconversion?

I'd love to know if the 811 does a better job upconverting the SD signals to HD than the 6000. Any comments on the SD upconversion from the rear composite would also be greatly appreciated.

"My question is whether the 811 will output S-video and component simultaneously..."

Yes. The 811 outputs S-video and composite concurrently with component.

I have both component and composite going into my panny for comparative demos. Hard to believe, but some non-techies who have come by are so dense that they can't "see" that the HD pic is sharper until I toggle between the panny's HD and SD inputs. I like to watch their eyes bug out :shock: when the light comes on. :idea:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)