Dish Anywhere update 7.0.3 issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

logdog

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 12, 2018
The Villages, FL
My android tablet updated to Dish Anywhere v 7.0.3 last night and now doesn't work right. I can't watch in landscape. Difficult to launch DVR recordings. No more prompts for starting a recording over or resume. I've cleared data and reinstalled the app but doesn't fix. I have v 6.6.12 on my phone and it works fine. Anyone else have these issues?

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
It gets worse and worse. I time slip a news program in the morning so I can watch the recording and skip commercials. Not only can't I force landscape full screen format but it pulls an old recording from the trash folder so I'm watching news from two days ago. Also the fast forward is now a very small button in the upper left corner of the recording. Tried watching live news but it wouldn't load. This app is completely useless since the latest update.

• Sad
It gets worse and worse. I time slip a news program in the morning so I can watch the recording and skip commercials. Not only can't I force landscape full screen format but it pulls an old recording from the trash folder so I'm watching news from two days ago. Also the fast forward is now a very small button in the upper left corner of the recording. Tried watching live news but it wouldn't load. This app is completely useless since the latest update.
So have you called Dish about it?

I hate the new app - just like I hated the website change a while back. In addition to just not being user friendly (the old app was just fine), this new version now sends all traffic out to the internet and back, even when I am on my LAN - just like the website.
I fear this is going to come to the streaming devices apps next - which will be a major blow. I use a fire stick in 1 room of the house that I don't watch very often.

Come on Dish - don't screw this up. I'm already running out of reasons to stay with Dish.

Since the update I agree the Dish Anywhere app is now useless. It's hard to load up recorded programs and it's constantly freezing up and buffering. I called dish and there was not much they could do other than to say delete the app and reload it again. I would rather go back to the old version of the app even though it was not the best, at least it worked.

I did call Dish and they acted like they knew nothing about this. I pointed out that there are hundreds of one star reviews and complaints on the Google Play Store since this update was released. The tech support guy told me that there are always complaints when they release updates with new features. I told him about old recordings coming up instead of current and he said that was probably a new feature and that it happens by design (right). He did agree to open a ticket on the portrait only viewing and we discovered that many of my recordings are not showing up on the app. By the way, I thought Dish Support was reading these posts so we wouldn't have to call them. Is that not correct?

For Dish Anywhere issues only we can be emailed here for further assistance and feedback submission. This email cannot troubleshoot or help with any other issue but Dish Anywhere.

Reactions: millerthyme59
I hate the dish anywhere app now. Before it operated very much like my dvr at home. Now it is slow to load new shows while they are recording. I have to sign out and sign back in to get any of the shows to load in my recordings part of the app. For example the evening news while it is recording.

The skip forward and back arrows are located on the left top side and they are too close together. IF you skip too fast it will lock up the app and you have to get out of the show and then start over again.

There is no way that I can see you can start a show from where you left it , if you change to another device or if you stay on the same device.

Forget about just punching channel numbers to get to another channel. You have to load the guide and find the channel. There is no longer any remote control to use if you want.

It sucks big time now and I find myself not using it now and using the Tablo app more for local shows because it still operates like the old Dish anywhere app did.

Is this what we get with the current CEO while Charlie is focusing on the bigger picture? Not that Dish has pushed out rotten revisions in the past, it just seems from the descriptions like Dish sacrificed CUSTOMER satisfaction for whatever they were supposed to gain from the revision. It just seems like Dish is losing its way and seems to find new software revisions to drive customers AWAY. AT least with Ergen as CEO, he did have a "whatever the customer wants" or healty concern about ruining things for customers. DA is pretty improtant to me. Just look at the soon to be departing (I think) CEO at TiVo (formerly at Dish) who has found new ways to drive people (and they have left because of his new way of doing business with retail owners) away from TiVo. Dish products are becoming buggier and buggier. Could Dish not have continued data mining without messing up the DA and whatever else? Let's face it, Dish has always seemed better when Charlie was running it day to day, albeit not perfectly, but better than his handpicked CEO's.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I hit the HERE word to send a report of the Dish Anywhere application not working. Nothing happens. Soooo... here is what is going on The guide only shows a hand full of stations. Here are two photographs that show this.

View attachment 145530View attachment 145531

Attachments

• IMG_2074.JPG
    IMG_2074.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 250
App updated tonight to version 20.2.50 (big jump). However, nothing is fixed. Still can't get to full screen and still missing recordings. No changes that I can see.

I don't use DishAnywhere much on my phone but use it every day on my tablet (both Android). Today I tried to use the phone and it was obvious there was an update. I had intended to watch a show live. Well, there is no longer an option to watch Live TV!!!

I installed it on my wife's iPhone and the results are the same - no live TV.

Android version = 20.2.50.

I tried calling Dish and spent over an hour on hold before I had to go do something else. I'll try later but I'm not sure it will do any good.

This application has been very fragile for years, and now they've decided to unleash an untested version on us. My list of reported bugs on the old Dish forum went unanswered for at least 7 years. The one they never even acknowledged was the buffering problem.

They need a new VP of Software Engineering. Someone that understands regression testing and quality in general.

• Sad
In addition the UI has changed. The skip forward (+30s) and backward (-10s) have a horrible lag (10s), and are no longer "stackable" - in the previous version of the app if you pressed the skip forward 4 times, it would jump 2 minutes when all was done. Now I have to do each one at a time. It's almost worthless since the delay in processing each is as long as it moves ahead. backwards is even worse since it takes 10s to do a 10s back... Makes trying to skip commercials a useless activity.

Now to add insult to injury...

I have an old tablet that I use occasionally, but almost exclusively with Dish Anywhere. I use it at the spa in the evening. I decided to check out if it had been updated (or will update when I turn it on). It's a Google Nexus 9, Android 7.1.1. The new app tells me that it is not compatible. Sigh... Maybe it's a good thing since the old version (that works fine, thank you) persists. But if I ever needed to reset it it would be a useless brick since I can't use it for its intended purpose. Thanks Dish.

In looking around for ways to revert (which is doable, but more time than I could invest right now) I did find that through the store app you can block automatic updates. My primary viewing tablet (which is a Amazon FireHD 10) should be safe for the time being. The safest way to revert seems to be to locate the appropriate version on one of the archive sites and then use a couple of tools to change the signature. That prevents auto updates from happening. I would also venture you can install the hijacked version and the official version simultaneously. It seems like a good way to keep a safe version and also test new ones.

Reactions: HipKat
It never occurred to me to look for an older apk to download. I googled Dish Anywhere Android version 6 and found a site that had all previous versions of DA. I installed apk 6.6.12 and it seems to be working. Thanks tpribors...

It never occurred to me to look for an older apk to download. I googled Dish Anywhere Android version 6 and found a site that had all previous versions of DA. I installed apk 6.6.12 and it seems to be working. Thanks tpribors...
Be aware that just installing an older version will likely result in the "new version finder" replacing it with the new version at some point unless you disable the app from being updated too. The version of Android on my phone does allow this on an app-by-app basis but the version on my tablet it's a global setting (which is no big deal)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)