Dish, aspect ratios and cropping pictures

TazmanianD

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
I have had HD with dish for quite some time but it's only very recently but I've mainly watched television shows, but with the free trial for Dish HD and the $0.01 deal with Cinemax, I'm having my first opportunity to check out movies.

I've heard lots of discussions and complaints about PQ so I decided to get some DVDs and compare. A week or so ago, I gave The Fifth Element a comparison (with a Superbit DVD) when it was broadcast on TNT. In switching back and forth between the HD and DVD version, I could tell the HD was better, but not by much, but what was really obvious was that the image had been distorted. I wrote that off as TNT just sucks as so many people seem to think.

Now, I've made a second comparison with Eragon on Cinemax. I figured Cinemax would be better but the results appear similar although I would say the picture looks better.

The thing I least understand is why Cinemax and/or Dishnetwork feel the need to screw up the aspect ratio. The DVD version is shown in an aspect ratio higher than 16:9 so I still get black bars on the screen. The HD version has no black bars with the picture filling the whole screen. Now if they had simply stretched the picture vertically so it filled the whole screen, I could understand that, but it seems they went even farther. Parts of the entire outer edges of the screen on all four sides are cut off as if they just zoomed in the picture by well more than was needed to remove the black bars. I can understand zooming in to remove the black bars and thus cut off the sides, but the HD version cuts off parts of the top and bottom, and by significant amounts! This boggles me.

Are all HD movies like this on everything Dish broadcasts? I have no interest in watching distorted and cropped movies and I look forward to my plans later in the year to buy a Blu-ray player but until them, am I stuck with DVD? Any thoughts?

Just because a broadcast is in HD, it does not imply anything about being shown in OAR. HDNet Movies may be the only channel that will show OAR consistently.

I took a long at some other scenes and now I'm really confused. At first I thought they were just zooming the picture and cutting off all the edges, but then I noticed that in some scenes, there is actually *more* content than what's on the DVD. There are parts of some scenes that are cut off in the DVD, but are visible on the HD version.

In some cases, only certain edges are cut off and in others, there's more content visible. The edges that are cut also vary from scene to scene. It's almost like there's some form of high definition pan&scan going on. I've never heard of such a thing but it would be one way to convert from 2.35 to 1.67 without stretching anything (which I don't see happening).

Does anyone have an explanation?

Perhaps you know this but on the 622 and 722 remotes, at least, the bottom left hand button is the format button and will switch between different formats. I think for full screen HD programs you would want it on the "Normal" format selection. There are some zoom selections also.

I took a long at some other scenes and now I'm really confused. At first I thought they were just zooming the picture and cutting off all the edges, but then I noticed that in some scenes, there is actually *more* content than what's on the DVD. There are parts of some scenes that are cut off in the DVD, but are visible on the HD version.

In some cases, only certain edges are cut off and in others, there's more content visible. The edges that are cut also vary from scene to scene. It's almost like there's some form of high definition pan&scan going on. I've never heard of such a thing but it would be one way to convert from 2.35 to 1.67 without stretching anything (which I don't see happening).

Does anyone have an explanation?

I think you are describing open matte. Maybe someone will chime in to explain it correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)