Dish available near Winnipeg, Manitoba

TronAlpha

Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
Hi, I'm looking at getting into this hobby. After consulting various forums, and after chatting with a dealer in Quebec. A used 10' or 12' dish is what I believe what I am looking for.

I found this dish on Kijiji.
$_59.jpeg

Satellite, actuator and stand.
Make me an offer
Make a pond out of it.

Any ideas of make/model?
What would a good offer for this.
The LNB mount looks out of alignment; is attempting fixing this a deal breaker?

$_59 (1).jpeg

Upgrade the existing actuator to something new?

I believe that a string test should be performed. What does that all entail?

Last edited:
TronAlpha that dish looks like it might have fallen on it's "face", noting the bent feedhorn support arms. It could be badly damaged. Also note the "flat" spot on the left edge of the first image. Yes a string test would be telling if so.
Attach two strings in opposite diameter positions so they cross in the center in an X or + configuration, which ever is easiest. Duct tape works good to hold the strings tight, the string must wrap over the dish rim at each end. If the strings just touch or almost touch in the center then the reflector is likely ok. If there is a large space between the strings (more than 4-5mm) then the dish surface is not shaped properly and will not work as it should.
I usually eyeball the dish looking from the side at the edge to see if there is any warpage befpre doing a string test, that way I can tell if it's worth the trouble of doing a string test or not.
I wouldn't pay for it considering the possibility of damage insicated in your images above. The mount and actuator might be good though.
Are you located in Winnipeg out of town? I am south of Winnipeg about 3/4 hour drive. Great to see a new local member! Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: FTA4PA
Hi, I'm looking at getting into this hobby. After consulting various forums, and after chatting with a dealer in Quebec. A used 10' or 12' dish is what I believe what I am looking for.

I found this dish on Kijiji.
View attachment 145629

Any ideas of make/model?
What would a good offer for this.
The LNB mount looks out of alignment; is attempting fixing this a deal breaker?

View attachment 145630
Upgrade the existing actuator to something new?

I believe that a string test should be performed. What does that all entail?
Welcome to Satellite Guys TronAlpha! It is a very fun and rewarding hobby and well worth getting in to. Yes, you will definitely want a 10ft or larger dish. I'm not familiar with that dish but pay close attention to the lower left edge, between the 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock area if the dish were a clock face. Perhaps it is just distorted in the pic but it looks to me like it took a hit as I am seeing flat area(s). If the surface is damaged you will have nothing but trouble trying to align it. Also appears the lnb arms may be bent? If so, I would move on to another dish as you don't want to start the hobby with frustration. If my eyes are fooling me and all is ok then string test the dish by fastening string (tape it) directly from edge to edge (the noon to 6 o'clock, 3 to 9 o'clock, 2 to 8 o'clock, etc). Where the strings intersect at the center of the dish they should just barely touch. If they appear bent or forced against each other or there is a large gap then the dish is going to be a problem. Any other questions, feel free to ask as there are many members here who are happy to help out. Good luck with your search! :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)