Dish called me about OLN today

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am surprised how many people care about this channel, I'd never have known if Dish didn't pull it (which I 100% support because of OLN's unethical tactics).

Chris Walker said:
I am surprised how many people care about this channel, I'd never have known if Dish didn't pull it (which I 100% support because of OLN's unethical tactics).

If OLN's tactics were unethical then they must have also been illegal. But Dish did not pursue the legalities of the contract with OLN.

If what OLN did was legal, then Dish merely pulled the channel in a show of one-up-manship and abandoned their subscribers that are paying for and wanted that channel. Either way their actions are indefensible.

Negotiate

Personally, I do not care who was right and who was wrong. I have learned that in life most things are not black & white, but different shades of Gray. What happened to E* & OLN is a shade of gray to me, but the fact that E* pulled it and I no longer have a package I was paying for is black & white to me.
So, having said all that, the real question left is, are they talking/negotiating in good faith or are we being yanked around. What can we subscribers do to help move this forward so all three parties (E*, OLN, Subscribers) have a win...

Last edited:
Still waiting

Well it has been a few days, no new posts/replys, lots of views. So anybody got any ray of hope on E* and OLN resolving this!

Ride525,

I have been calling and emailing about OLN & SportsNet NY (the new RSN here in NY) for a few months now. Stock replies until last night. I got a call from a suit at the executive office that said not to give up yet. He said we should know one way or the other shortly. Now I’m a 9+ year sub spending $115 a month and I have heard this all before. I honestly think they are just trying to suck another few months out of me. So, take this for what this probably worth…. Nothing!

I have called and e-mailed the NHL, the local NHL franchise, OLN and Dish. They all blame each other. The worst response I received was from the local NHL franchise. They responded with an e-mail that said "I guess you will have to go somewhere else to watch the OLN games." It took me a while to cool down from that lame response.

The North Stars moved from Minnesota, I survived. The NHL shut down for a year I survived. If I don't see the conference finals or the Stanley Cup finals I will survive. I won't be happy but life will go on.

Geez, there's got to be a better way to run this cable/sat business to get the customers what they want without pissing everyone off all the time.

TIme to email

ride525 said:
Maybe it's time for all of us to write CEO@echostar.com another email. I will definitely leave if Dish doesn't figure out a way to get OLN back on.

I agree. I will send another note tonight. I be dammed if I am just going to roll over. I want OLN back! I have already missed 1/2 the PBR Season!

I want my OLN

Thanks for the info in this thread. I have had no luck getting any information from Dish. I am about to cancel as well. OLN has now signed on with the Arena Football League. It might not be as big as deal to some people. But now I am missing out on the Avalanche games, Colorado Crush and PBR. Thanks Charlie and OLN.

cosmo61 said:
I have called and e-mailed the NHL, the local NHL franchise, OLN and Dish. They all blame each other. The worst response I received was from the local NHL franchise. They responded with an e-mail that said "I guess you will have to go somewhere else to watch the OLN games." It took me a while to cool down from that lame response.

The North Stars moved from Minnesota, I survived. The NHL shut down for a year I survived. If I don't see the conference finals or the Stanley Cup finals I will survive. I won't be happy but life will go on.

Geez, there's got to be a better way to run this cable/sat business to get the customers what they want without pissing everyone off all the time.

Well put, you have echoed my thoughts exactly!

Well at least they finally added Altitude so I get most of the Avalanche games now (except for the OLN broadcasts and NBC, Altitude seems to have them all). I hope they have the first two rounds of the playoffs, does anyone know if the RSN's have the first two rounds this year?

AdamGott said:
Well put, you have echoed my thoughts exactly!

Well at least they finally added Altitude so I get most of the Avalanche games now (except for the OLN broadcasts and NBC, Altitude seems to have them all). I hope they have the first two rounds of the playoffs, does anyone know if the RSN's have the first two rounds this year?
umm E* was the first sattelite/cable company to carry altitude

Something just occured to me, in light of the fact OLN does not have an HD outlet will HDNet be carrying the NHL Conference Finals and the Stanley Cup Finals that OLN will carry?

Obviously NBC will carry the games it has in HD but if the OLN games are on HDNet will Dish be able to show them via HDNet even with the OLN contract dispute?

no.

OLN does have an HD feed, cable companies put it on INHD and D* carries the feed on a channel

My last response from Echostar

I received the following response from D* a few days ago. I am also including the email I sent them. As you can see, my question and comments were slightly longer than the response back.

Email string attached below:

Thank you for your recent e-mail. Our Programming Department advised we are still in negotiations with OLN. At this time no announcements have been made on the return of OLN.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 10:00 AM
To: CEO
Subject: Third Attempt

I have sent this question in and someone suggested I include my account number too -

I have been checking online forums and am still in the dark.

Any possibility of getting OLN back? We PBR fans have been way to patient. I am tired of hearing about Hockey, I watched OLN for the PBR Built Ford Tough series and missed the National Finals when you pulled the channel late last year and now I am missing the first part of this season. I have been a Dishnetwork subscriber since 1997 and would really like to upgrade to your new HDTV VIP622, but not without OLN. If I must switch to DirectTV then so be it, but I would prefer to stay with Dish and have OLN Back.

If all possibility of getting OLN back on Dish Network is gone, then please level with me. I have included the “About PBR” from one of their emails below. Perhaps you did not know it was one of the fastest growing Sports.

About the PBR:
More than 104 million viewers tune in each year to the PBR on NBC, OLN (Outdoor Life Network) and on a host of foreign networks across the globe. With over 500 hours of prime time programming annually PBR ranks among the most prolific sports on air, in addition to attracting over one million live event attendees each year with its multi-tiered event structure which includes the marquee Built Ford Tough Series presented by Wrangler, the U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company Challenger Tour, the Enterprise Rent-A-Car Tour, and the Discovery Tour, designed specifically for entry level contestants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Floyd!!!!

For those of you E* bike racing nuts out there who can't get OLN (that would be everyone), Floyd Landis of Phonak won Paris-Nice today.

Better TV for all, except maybe for you.

ride525 said:
As far as I can tell there are two issues:

1. Comcast was demanding Dish suddenly pay more in mid-contract, just because OLN happened to start carrying hockey games.

2. Comcast seems to be demanding that Dish carry OLN on more of it's programming. (I think OLN was only on America's 180 and America's Everything packages.)

If #1 was true, we all would have read about it in the WSJ and the local papers, the day the suits were filed and injunctions to force Comcast to live up to the agreement was issued.

Dish has no problem raising fees when they offer less than they did before, so why can't Comcast raise what they charge Dish? (Yes, less channels and moving channels to more expensive tiers is offering less.)

Sounds more like the contract was up and the sides just failed to agree on a new one.

Mike0616 said:
1. Comcast was demanding Dish suddenly pay more in mid-contract, just because OLN happened to start carrying hockey games.

If #1 was true, we all would have read about it in the WSJ and the local papers, the day the suits were filed and injunctions to force Comcast to live up to the agreement was issued.

I believe the actual situation was that OLN started blacking out the hockey games without warning, thus leaving DISH with a card and a barker message. That went on for several days before DISH yanked the channel.

Need OLN for the Tour de France

tunagimp said:
For those of you E* bike racing nuts out there who can't get OLN (that would be everyone), Floyd Landis of Phonak won Paris-Nice today.

Better TV for all, except maybe for you.

Notwithstanding all the fans of the other sports broadcast by OLN, we are "bike racing nuts" who really miss the OLN coverage of both the cycling and the triathlon events. The prospect of not having the 2006 Tour de France beamed in daily is not something we take lightly. We keep hoping DISH and OLN find a common ground, like with what happened with LIFETIME, but a lot of time has elapsed. I have been trying to find alternative broadcast sources, like Deutsche Welle/Pro Sieben on the Internationals package, but I am not sure they are broadcasting the race. My direct e-mail to their English-language website has not been answered. Really not interested in going to D* since I do love my HDTV on DISH, and have heard less-than-positive reports on D*'s HDTV. Like many others, we have been with E* since the beginning, and would like a little reciprocal loyalty:(

Status
Please reply by conversation.