Dish Cancellation Thread

Have you switched from Dish HD to DirectvHD

• Yes

Votes: 41 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 189 82.2%

• Total voters
I switched 6 months ago because I knew how dish operates and I suspected that this was going to happen. As far as people belly aching, I think if dish actually added the channels we wanted there would be no belly aching.

Im going to add a poll to this thread, Im intrested in the numbers too.

can u add "on the fence" as a option so I may vote?

Why not get the channels you want now instead of waiting on charlie,speed hd may take a long time with dish.

I think the original intent was to consolidate posts to one thread. But as the question seems posed at those who have switched it might be better to be on a DTV thread rather than a Dish thread.

Current Dish customer. I would love to get SciFiHD, USAHD, SpikeHD, etc, but there's a few things firmly holding me back.

1. I love my 622, and there's nothing in D*'s lineup that really compares to the features that I use.

2. I re-upped my contract in Jan to get a $3 (or $4?) monthly discount for signing up.

3. The similar package for Direct would cost more.

4. The initial hardware cost for Direct would be a ton, and I have invested quite a bit in the 622.

5. My wife would not be thrilled with all the new hardware and learning a new system. She could care less about SciFi HD. Right now my 4 year old daughter can tune the DVR to Mickey Mouse clubhouse by herself. ;)

I can be patient and wait for new HD, but I still check this site weekly to see if I got it yet. :)

Got to admit, I'm pretty happy with the lineup. Now that my locals are in HD, I'm good. The only other national channels I would like are Spike for UFC and FX for Rescue Me and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Those would be great, but it's not anything that I would ever leave over. I'm not sure I've ever watched USA except for Law & Order reruns or when my wife wants to watch a dogshow. Also, I really like the 722.

Funny. CNN HD was lunched today, and so was this thread for people that are mad. I think this thread is a good idea to keep from new posts being made all the time, but its just kinda funny how the timing played out.

For me, I'm sticking with Dish, mainly because of the value. I can get all my HD, most of the regular channels and my locals for $40 a month (soon to be $60 after my rebates are over) and even then, $60 is cheap when the same setup through D* would be at least $100 a month.

Last edited:
What I find funny is in threads like this, you have as many people bitchin about other people expressing their opinions as people bitchin about Dish. If you don't want to read the complaints, don't click on the thread!!!!!!!!

What I find funny is in threads like this, you have as many people bitchin about other people expressing their opinions as people bitchin about Dish. If you don't want to read the complaints, don't click on the thread!!!!!!!!
It's hard not to when you're trying to find legitimate information about Dish HD and every other post is: "Charlie can kiss it", "I have to have Sci-fiHD or I will sue Dish", "If I don't see the season premier of BSG in HD my internet girlfriend will leave me", etc....

I jumped a few weeks ago ... my fingernails have grown back since i made the switch - no more biting my nails each Wednesday to see if they would add any of the channels that i wanted ... now - i just turn on the tv - and there they are :)

My install is set for 4/19. I was a previous D* customer who switched to E* when D* couldn't move me for 30 days when we bought our new house. My commitment is up now and quite frankly except for the advantage D* has in HD content, there isn't much difference between the two. My new bill will be $3 a month cheaper with D* before the $18 rebate. I've ordered two of the HD DVR's so my upfront cost will be $298 but I fully expect to get around $250+/- for my VIP 622 on Ebay. All I am really worried about is watching my HD. Why should I continue to sit around and wait when I can have instant gratification?? I may come back to E* after my 2 yr commitment to D* is up. Who knows.

I jumped a few weeks ago ... my fingernails have grown back since i made the switch - no more biting my nails each Wednesday to see if they would add any of the channels that i wanted ... now - i just turn on the tv - and there they are :)

You should have waited. Don't you know they're putting up a whole bunch of new HD next soonday?

I have a question that should be answered....For those among us who are enjoying BOTH satellite providers, which one appears to have the better SD and HD video? After all, one of the GREATS about sat tv has been the quality of the video in comparison with cable. Is there any advantage, one over the other?

I voted no, I am am not going anywhere unless it gets really bad, right now I am happy, as long as they get my RSN's up in HD on 61.5 and made available.