Dish can't count HD - Barrons

I do agree, 100%. Have the FTC, the FCC or even the NAB set down specific ground work for counting channels....
I agree...the FTC needs to handle the "truth in advertising" issue, while the FCC needs to address the quality aspects (i.e., what constitutes an HD channel) involving programmers and MVPDs. For example, a programmer should not be permittted to label their channel as HD when three-quarters of their programming is upconverted, low-bandwidth or stretch-o-vision. Likewise, while there are ATSC standards affecting broadcasters and cable, cable HD often overcompress their HD channels by stuffing too many variable HD streams per QAM and many broadcasters are stealing too much bandwidth from their HD streams by multicasting. Finally, since satellite is not subject to the ATSC standards they can pretty much downrez and overcompress their HD anyway they wish and still call it HD. Of course, it's not...it's nothing more than EDTV. D*, E*, U-Verse and others can all keep their HD-Lite.

Not really. PPV is an actual channel that one can pay to watch 24/7 (of course it would cost them a lot of money). VOD in this case of count are not actual channel, but actual programs. That would be like counting the same PPV channel more than once for each program shown.

Sorry ... splitting hairs... for all REAL purposes its the same thing. Heck you could order the movie on demand again and again if you wanted too... either way no one's going to do that.

Frankly both sides are guilty of misleading a mucking with the numbers... it was only in the last several days that D* stopped featuring 200 as THEIR # too... (with the word capacity in tiny print next to it)

Look I LOVE my E* service - I'm not going to pretend they don't... and they are flat out lying here... I just think its lame that some folks on here are trying to make out D* to be the good guys... their are no good guys in this.

Actually I take that back - and I hate to admit this b/c I'm a big fan of DBS... but the folks who come out looking good in this are really the fiber companies. I mean, both Verizon and AT & T have REALLY impressive HD lineups at this point - and they give real #s (not a bunch of PPVs, or VODs, or RSNS part-time full time or other)

Guess you don't read the forums.
D* gave a list. And the total Line up is currenty on Directv.com Website.

They are Daring E* to do the same.

Still the whole thing is kind of lame on both sides...

D* still counts PPVs AND RSNs AND East and West feeds of the networks... sorry this is NOT the "common sense" count they try to make it out to be...

And of course as recently as a week ago they tried to make it look like THEY had 200 HD Channels (with the capacity in tiny letters). As I just said in another post... it seems like the only ones who have an impressive HD count AND are honest about it are the fiber companies...

Look I LOVE my E* service - I'm not going to pretend they don't... and they are flat out lying here... I just think its lame that some folks on here are trying to make out D* to be the good guys... their are no good guys in this.

)
No your wrong, We aren't making D* out to be the good guys.
But D* has provided a list of their real HD count.
E* refuses.

Side by side E* list is by far more impressive. IMO.
But instead Charlie is trying to sell counts, when he should just be happy 50% of his HD line up isn't RSN's and PPV.

But again D* has the Balls to stand behind their list, Charlie doesn't.

Guess you don't read the forums.
D* gave a list. And the total Line up is currenty on Directv.com Website.

They are Daring E* to do the same.

nope, not Directs, because I will never be a Direct sub so their is no point in me reading their forum or going to their website. If they did post it, great, good for them.

Still the whole thing is kind of lame on both sides...
But letting them get away with it only makes it far worse for the consumer.
This is the problem with america, Everyone is to lazy,and if they look the other way they hope it will go away.
Then when its to late they all cry and piss and moan about how they got burned.

Buying TV service should be so damn sneaky. We have enough of that in the world.

Yes they do.
And I feel if Charlie wasn't so greedy, he could have just been honest, and showed a list of National that they do carry. Many will most likly be impressed with Charlies Real list then D* 50% RSN's and PPV.

Dishnetwork has a Great HD line up, So why the hell does Charlie have to try and over sell it?

You're right on with this one.

On the other hand - lost in all of this is how solid BOTH lineups now are. People like debating - so I would imagine only a very few will agree with be... but the truth is the lineups are only slightly different at this point... pretty much like the two standard def lineups...

nope, not Directs, because I will never be a Direct sub so their is no point in me reading their forum or going to their website. If they did post it, great, good for them.
It was a Satellite Guys headline for 1.
Maybe you would know what everyone is talking about if you did some research on a subject your commenting on.

No your wrong, We aren't making D* out to be the good guys.
But D* has provided a list of their real HD count.
E* refuses.

Side by side E* list is by far more impressive. IMO.
But instead Charlie is trying to sell counts, when he should just be happy 50% of his HD line up isn't RSN's and PPV.

But again D* has the Balls to stand behind their list, Charlie doesn't.

I'll agree with you in this... I think Charlie has made the wrong decision how to handle this... trying to take the easy way out by just matching one inflated # with his own. Your right he could have just said we give you much more HD in the packages all but a very few subscribe too... and or he could have called D* out on the huge PPV count... Instead he stooped at least as low...

Sadly that's the state of marketing in this day and age...

You're right on with this one.

On the other hand - lost in all of this is how solid BOTH lineups now are. People like debating - so I would imagine only a very few will agree with be... but the truth is the lineups are only slightly different at this point... pretty much like the two standard def lineups...
People like debating correct.
1 provider will always have somthing over the other. But instead of Charlie over selling the channel counts, he could have kept it modest.
Then went after D* 130 HD channel claim, and made it clear half of D* HD was RSN's and PPV, that consist of massive blackouts,and premium dollars spent.

Quanity isn't always better.

It was a Satellite Guys headline for 1.
Maybe you would know what everyone is talking about if you did some research on a subject your commenting on.

okay you win, I bow to your superior knowledge and intellect on the subject. I sincerely apologize for being a sorry, pathetic, unknowing Dish sub and not spending my whole day going to each and every page dealing with every subject on satellite matters, including this one...

okay you win, I bow to your superior knowledge and intellect on the subject. I sincerely apologize for being a sorry, pathetic, unknowing Dish sub and not spending my whole day going to each and every page dealing with every subject on satellite matters, including this one...
Nice comeback.
Charlie would be proud.:p

People like debating correct.
1 provider will always have somthing over the other. But instead of Charlie over selling the channel counts, he could have kept it modest.
Then went after D* 130 HD channel claim, and made it clear half of D* HD was RSN's and PPV, that consist of massive blackouts,and premium dollars spent.

Quanity isn't always better.

Yep - like I said - trying to just up the # is the easy and lame way out. The lamest part of all of this is that both companies thankfully announced decent HD expansions this week - that's almost been lost in all of this.

Yep - like I said - trying to just up the # is the easy and lame way out. The lamest part of all of this is that both companies thankfully announced decent HD expansions this week - that's almost been lost in all of this.
Well after the almost lawsuit between D*and E* you would think Charlie would try a new approch by attacking the D* HD channels, and not so much on making his count bigger.

The real reason I see for this is that DIRECTV has been advertising 200 HD channels over and over. Even though the fine print said "capacity", the average person half way paying attention to the ad probably came away with DIRECTV has 200 channels of HD.

Dish probably had conducted consumer surveys and saw that the average potential customer thought that DIRECTV had 200 channels of glorious HD beaming down at the dish 24/7.

Dish had to counter. So, they try to put out that they too have 200 channels of glorious HD.

Even if 53 "channels" are preloaded HD on a 922. They can put them in the guide and make them look just like a channel.

DIRECTV of course is trying to call them out on this. But, of course they run the problem that Dish actually has more capacity and channels right now. DIRECTV has to wait for their satellite to finish testing and get into position before they can add more channels.

Of course Monday morning quarterbacking I would (if I were Charlie) run an ad listing all the channels that Dish has that DIRECTV does not in HD. I would leave out PPV/RSNs. Let DIRECTV try to counter by listing 20 PPV channels as their answer. They will look stupid...

DIRECTV claims to be an HD leader... Here are all the channels you can see in HD right now on Dish that are not on DIRECTV:...

The real reason I see for this is that DIRECTV has been advertising 200 HD channels over and over. Even though the fine print said "capacity", the average person half way paying attention to the ad probably came away with DIRECTV has 200 channels of HD.

Dish probably had conducted consumer surveys and saw that the average potential customer thought that DIRECTV had 200 channels of glorious HD beaming down at the dish 24/7.

Dish had to counter. So, they try to put out that they too have 200 channels of glorious HD.

Even if 53 "channels" are preloaded HD on a 922. They can put them in the guide and make them look just like a channel.

DIRECTV of course is trying to call them out on this. But, of course they run the problem that Dish actually has more capacity and channels right now. DIRECTV has to wait for their satellite to finish testing and get into position before they can add more channels.

Of course Monday morning quarterbacking I would (if I were Charlie) run an ad listing all the channels that Dish has that DIRECTV does not in HD. I would leave out PPV/RSNs. Let DIRECTV try to counter by listing 20 PPV channels as their answer. They will look stupid...

DIRECTV claims to be an HD leader... Here are all the channels you can see in HD right now on Dish that are not on DIRECTV:...
Exactly.
And while D* is launching 30 channels, they still didn't do it.
And I'm sorry but while thats a start, D* should be launching about 60 HD channels to make up for the last few years of nothing in the HD front.
And lets give the RSN's and PPV a break

To Hemi 6.1.
I really hate reading your comments simply because you seem to act as if Directv was the GOD of all companies. Dish lies, Directv lies, time warner lies etc, you get the point here dont you?
i am glad people are catching on Dish not having 200 hd channels, hopefully it will make them step it up, BUT, and its a big BUT, Directv isnt great either, they also lie. Listen, I have Dish HD, and for all i care, Directv can have a BILLION HD channels, but if they dont have that ONE channel you LOVE, i.e. Fox Soccer Channel HD, you just dont care. Im pretty sure you wont be watching those 200hd channels anyway, in fact i bet you only watch like 10 hd channels of the possible 90 you have...

My main point is just to relax your roll. You seem to really LOVE hating on Dish, and claim Directv is the best, and i just hate that mate. They are BOTH horrible in some things and GREAT in lying, so hopefully you understand that you shouldnt be bashing Dish as much as you do since directv isnt all that better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts