Dish/CEDIA/Win 7 Mediacenter

LASooner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 29, 2005
CEDIA 2009 Windows Media Center predictions

DISH Network Tuner
This prediction is really all but a fact as we have talked to a few beta testers who rave about it. Of course no one knows if Microsoft plans to fully develop and test a tuner with DISH Network only to cancel it at the last minute, but we believe that CEDIA is the perfect place for DISH Network and Microsoft to announce the partnership and the tuner. We're told that unlike CableCARD tuners, VOD and PPV will be available in Media Center and will work as expected. Unfortunately everything the testers recorded was protected by PlayReady DRM and didn't seem to support domains. All the testers have had good things to say about the new HD tuner, and were actually a little disgruntled when DISH asked that the tuners be returned after the beta and wouldn't tell them when the new hardware would be available for purchase, leaving the testers without any HDTV. The tuners were VIP 211 HD STBs loaded with special firmware. We're told that they will only be available directly from DISH and that you won't be able update the firmware on your existing box. You should be able to use four of these tuners at a time if you have enough USB ports. It might also be possible to plug them all into the same network connection on the Media Center, but we weren't able to find any testers who actually tried it. These boxes sell for about $200 each, so it won't be an inexpensive route -- assuming you don't cash in on a promotion -- but the good news is that all the testers we spoke with told us that the tuners worked fine with a DIY HTPC.

but the good news is that all the testers we spoke with told us that the tuners worked fine with a DIY HTPC.

Unless they let you record unencrypted HD, they DO NOT work with a DIY HTPC!
HTPC is NOT a synonym for Windows Media Center PC!

Unless they let you record unencrypted HD, they DO NOT work with a DIY HTPC!
HTPC is NOT a synonym for Windows Media Center PC!
They may not technically be synonyms, but when someone says HTPC, I think it is fair to say that most people think Windows Media Center. What else is there? XBMC? Boxee? Nowadays if you buy or build your own HTPC, I believe you will be running Windows Media Center (Vista or 7 flavor).

I don't understand your points. Please elaborate.

When I think "do-it-yourself HTPC", I don't think of a PC running Windows Media Center, I think of one running Linux with MythTV or some similar app. Such a PC would support neither DRM nor the proprietary hardware which goes with it.

When I think "do-it-yourself HTPC", I don't think of a PC running Windows Media Center, I think of one running Linux with MythTV or some similar app. Such a PC would support neither DRM nor the proprietary hardware which goes with it.

I figured that's where you were headed, but these days people assemble their HTPCs component by component to get exactly what they want and many are electing to use Vista and W7 because WMC is now a pretty decent implementation. I've tried all of them at one time or another and all three of my HTPCs are now W7 WMC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)