Dish CEO Clayton on Bloomberg West

Cory Johnson at Bloomberg West is my favorite newscaster. I just wish he had been a little more aggresive in his interview.
Normally, he really digs out the nuggets in the tech world.

I think the big elephant is that dish is for sell, if you read in between the lines of what joe was saying at the end. Which collates with sub growth or the lack of it as its an easier sell the company when you don't have sub growth and artificially bump up your profit numbers based upon very expensive dvr fees. You can make it look like its profitable in the short term to make the company more attractive to buyers. When in reality short term profits, wont mean long term success without sub growth. It will be interesting to see next quarters numbers when they come out!

I predict more losses. They still are suffering from their own self induced injury for going on two years next month. The Additional receiver FEE HIKE in February of 2010 was the stupidest move they made since they announced DVR fees PER DVR receiver. How long has DISH been stuck at around 13 million subs now? They just keep adding just enough subs ,despite the losses, to keep their sub number around 13 million. Mean while Directv used to only have 2 million more subs has now moved to what is it now... 19 million or more. OF course their numbers are slightly skewed since they added South America subs to their total base count. But DIRECTV doesn't charge PER dvr receiver or roll those fees into high additional receiver fees. They still only charge the same additional receiver fees no matter what they have. NO stupid endless class of various receivers with different prices depending on what class your receiver fits into. Talk about crazy . I mean most customers wouldn't know what kind of receiver they have ,much less where they fit into FEE wize. I think all the FEES they have are so they can increase their revenues all the while sinking their sub numbers. After all their profits each year keep rising even though their sub count keeps going down.

Last edited:
Additional receiver FEE HIKE in February of 2010 was the stupidest move they made since they announced DVR fees PER DVR receiver.
In your view. My bill went down with the repackaging.

You view isn't the whole world.

Clayton says the box costs drop 20-30 percent per year as volume builds and did not seem to think box costs are a big deal.

He says the content is where they see cost escalation.

ckhalil18 said:
True but it will interesting to see if they've gained new subscribers so far thanks to BBMP or if they're still losing subs.

I wouldn't be surprised if they lost more subs. I don't feel that they properly advertised what a great value the bbmp really is, the general public does not understand it and those who had dish platinum which morphed into bbmp have no idea of all the features which are available to them now,

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

I wouldn't be surprised if they lost more subs. I don't feel that they properly advertised what a great value the bbmp really is, the general public does not understand it and those who had dish platinum which morphed into bbmp have no idea of all the features which are available to them now,

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

I agree scott 100% people that have dish around me are confused and i explained it to them how it works :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts