Dish CEO Hints at Possibly Dropping ALL RSNs

Why not use the multitude of spots for RSNs? If I understand, part of the thing with RSNs on DISH is that people are upset that they're not in HD all the time and that is due to bandwidth. I don't think RSNs probably cost all that much, so it's probably a bandwidth issue. If the consideration is dropping RSNs completely, why not split the difference and drop RSNs nationally (just like cable..they don't have out of market RSNs) and put HD RSNs full time on spots. Or, in markets where there aren't HD locals (are there any?) just put them up in SD on spots. IIRC, DISH has or will have locals in all markets either now or at some point very soon. So, however they're delivering those locals, put the RSNs on there too.

While you are wrong that RSNs are cheap (they are pricey, and most markets have 2 or 3), I agree spots are another option. But the issue is the sports packs (Center Ice, League Pass, Dish's own blackout-subjected sports pack) that rely on the national RSN feeds. That said, I think Dish would be better off getting rid of the packs, and putting them on spot.

I am a long time Direct TV subscriber. But say IF Dish did drop these channels. Is it really a good idea to only have just one satellite TV provider providing RSN's? In some areas (NY) it would seem that Direct is already the only game in town for sports on Satellite. Competition is a good thing and in most cases, the more competitors there are ... in theory...the lower the prices. I understand why Charlie would consider dropping these sports packages, however in the long run I think he is hurting his own company. The easy answer would be to put all the RSN's/ ESPN/Yes on a separate tier. But as others have said ...its easier said than done. I'm just for competition even though I have no plans to leave Direct TV.

I would think that with the National HD Dish has I would think that if RSN's were to be moved to a "sports tier" and in full time HD, that would make them more attractive to other customers, though in reading the article even if it a negoating tatic, it would read that they would like to be the no RSN provider. If that would be the case package prices would decrease right? or is there more to that

From what I've been reading , Charlie wants to still offer rsns and other sports channels but only in their own sports pack or tier. Then the actual programming packs would drop in price by $5.00- $10.00 a month . DISH would be the true low cost channel provider and those who wanted the Rsns and other Sports channels would pay to add the pack to their regular programming packs. This would give subs the option to still have sports or NOT and save $$$. It would give DISH a competitive edge over DIRECTV and Cable in pricing for regular programming. I suspect if he did do this that the RSNs would finally be in HD all the time. Also hearing that this is being pushed as an idea due to ESPN/DISNEY wanting to push for 100% increase in cost ,next time their renewal comes up with DISH.

If the sports networks would all agree to alacarte programming tiers, then we would really see who cares about sports programming.

The biggest issue is that the sports programming prices are getting out of control.

We need to reduce the players salaries, to get the costs down.

The problem is that all the providers are too afraid to actually do what Charlie is saying and drop sports programming because all it's going to do is piss off customers and cause them to churn to a different provider.

What needs to happen is Comcast, Directv, Dish, Att, verizon and any other major tv provider needs to get together and stand up to the sports networks, and when there is a price dispute all providers should pull the channel to prevent customers from pressuring there provider to pay higher prices by threatening to change providers.

If the customer didn't have a choice, they wouldn't have a reason to cancel and prices would be lower for everyone.

If the sports networks would all agree to alacarte programming tiers, then we would really see who cares about sports programming.

The biggest issue is that the sports programming prices are getting out of control.

We need to reduce the players salaries, to get the costs down.

The problem is that all the providers are too afraid to actually do what Charlie is saying and drop sports programming because all it's going to do is piss off customers and cause them to churn to a different provider.

What needs to happen is Comcast, Directv, Dish, Att, verizon and any other major tv provider needs to get together and stand up to the sports networks, and when there is a price dispute all providers should pull the channel to prevent customers from pressuring there provider to pay higher prices by threatening to change providers.

If the customer didn't have a choice, they wouldn't have a reason to cancel and prices would be lower for everyone.

Going to be hard for them to do that, when the both of them actually own RSN's.

From what I've been reading , Charlie wants to still offer rsns and other sports channels but only in their own sports pack or tier. Then the actual programming packs would drop in price by $5.00- $10.00 a month . DISH would be the true low cost channel provider and those who wanted the Rsns and other Sports channels would pay to add the pack to their regular programming packs. This would give subs the option to still have sports or NOT and save $$$. It would give DISH a competitive edge over DIRECTV and Cable in pricing for regular programming. I suspect if he did do this that the RSNs would finally be in HD all the time.

Problem with that idea is that it makes too much sense.

...Having so much time, money, and energy for something that only 15% of your total subscribers watch. There comes a point where you say it's just not worth it anymore...

I don't know where they got that number... and I'm not saying that I know any better. But 15% would be just 3 out of every 20 subscribers. That seems awfully low to me. Maybe the larger cities offset what I see in my area.

Cheers

Problem with that idea is that it makes too much sense.

Things are moving and changing very fast in the video field. Charlie is trying to get ahead of the curve here and do something revolutionary. He wants to create a satellite/streaming hybrid of a receiver that relies on ala carte, internet streaming and satellite. He knows that satellite alone is not going to last long term. IF DISH is to survive and thrive in the future it has to change. That is why Charlie is buying up blockbuster, making deals with Tivo, buying up Hughesnet, and other mobile wireless spectrum. Tv everywhere was just the start and I am betting that if Charlie and DISH could remove the sports channels and Rsns from the regular programming packs he will be the first company to do so and that others would quickly follow. Sports channels and teams are the biggest motivator in our now yearly price increases with cable & satellite. At the rate they are going the price of programming will be to costly for the normal Joe 6 pack to buy and cord cutting will continue to grow as well as Netlfix subscriptions . You notice the biggest motivator in the growth of Netflix is the cheap monthly price( $8.65 with tax included) and the wide selection of movies and tv shows you can choose from. If anyone can bring us sports ala carte, I 'm betting that Charlie Ergen can and will be the first in this country to do it.

This could actually work out to be tiered pricing by different means. If you don't care about sports you go with provider A (Dish) that has no sports but has a low price. If all you care about is your local sports you can go with provider B (cable) that only has the local RSN and a mid level price. The sports nuts can go with Provider C (Direct) that has all the sports they could ever want, but of course they are going to pay through the nose for it.

The catch here is that provider A has to have a considerable price advantage to draw the "but I might watch it some day" people away from the other providers. Unfortunately Dish has been going the other way with their prices lately, with the price gap between it and other providers closing.

Boy, this does bring a great question to my mind. Would DISH actually lose subscribers telling the RSNs to find another place to go? I understand churn would occur, but it might increase churn in other companies as well. DISH could leave pricing 'as is' while competitors raised theirs. It is not just SOME DISH customers that don't care for sports. There are customers in every providers subscriber list that could care less. Those customers might dump their current providers when rates increase and go to DISH. In theory, it is possible DISH could see a net increase in subscribers with a bold move like that.

This could actually work out to be tiered pricing by different means. If you don't care about sports you go with provider A (Dish) that has no sports but has a low price. If all you care about is your local sports you can go with provider B (cable) that only has the local RSN and a mid level price. The sports nuts can go with Provider C (Direct) that has all the sports they could ever want, but of course they are going to pay through the nose for it.

The catch here is that provider A has to have a considerable price advantage to draw the "but I might watch it some day" people away from the other providers. Unfortunately Dish has been going the other way with their prices lately, with the price gap between it and other providers closing.

I have a question:

Why does everyone talk about having a provider without sports and how much cheaper that would be, but never about a provider with sports but without movies and other stuff and how much cheaper that would be? I mean, a big sports fan could just as easily say "Hey, I never watch Disney, why should I have to pay for it?" (And Disney is an expensive channel for providers, right?). I'm just saying, it cuts both ways. Sports channels may be expensive to the provider, relatively speaking, but even if they're $3.00 a pop, a package with two RSNs, three ESPNs, TNT (for basketball), Versus (for hockey), and the NFL Network (for football), would only be $24. Throw in your local OTA networks, whatever the cheapest 24 hour news channel is, and a few very cheap general interest channels (and/or sort of "off-brand" sports channels that might be cheap), plus a little breathing room for overhead and profit, and you could do a "sports fan" package for $35 pretty easily.

If the industry winds up offering a package where non-sports fans don't have to pay for sports and get a price break, then it only seems fair that sports fans should be able to subscribe to a sports centric package that doesn't include children's programming and movie channels and whatever, and get a price break for that, too. There's no reason sports fans should have to pay through the nose because louder non-sports fans get a non-sports package and then sports channels have to raise their per subscriber fee to compensate, but sports fans still have to pay for Disney and the like.

That raises another important point with all of this, though -- anything that moves the ball significantly closer to al carte is likely to mean that you pay the same or more in the long run for less programming. Basically, any channel, sports or no, is not going to want to see it's income slide as only people with a direct interest subscribe -- so they'll likely raise what they charge to compensate for those lost subscribers. The end result? People will get only the channels they are interested in and not have the option to, say, catch an occasional movie if they are mainly a sports fan, or an occasional game if they are mainly a movie fan. I think the idea that rates will drop is a myth. Call me crazy, but I think the truth of the matter is that the current system of broad-based packages is best for the consumer -- at least people usually get a wide variety of channels for their money, rather than paying the same amount for a handful of channels only (the likely result of ala carte).

Tv everywhere was just the start and I am betting that if Charlie and DISH could remove the sports channels and Rsns from the regular programming packs he will be the first company to do so and that others would quickly follow.

I don't know about that. I would think DirecTv and local cable companies would jump all over it as a selling point to differentiate themselves from DISH. Carrying local sports is big sell in many cities, like Buffalo. In fact, the Sabres are the ones leading the charge to get people on DISH to move to DirecTv or Time Warner to see the Sabres. And I have a feeling it's working.

I have a question:

Why does everyone talk about having a provider without sports and how much cheaper that would be, but never about a provider with sports but without movies and other stuff and how much cheaper that would be? I mean, a big sports fan could just as easily say "Hey, I never watch Disney, why should I have to pay for it?" (And Disney is an expensive channel for providers, right?). I'm just saying, it cuts both ways. Sports channels may be expensive to the provider, relatively speaking, but even if they're $3.00 a pop, a package with two RSNs, three ESPNs, TNT (for basketball), Versus (for hockey), and the NFL Network (for football), would only be $24. Throw in your local OTA networks, whatever the cheapest 24 hour news channel is, and a few very cheap general interest channels (and/or sort of "off-brand" sports channels that might be cheap), plus a little breathing room for overhead and profit, and you could do a "sports fan" package for $35 pretty easily.

If the industry winds up offering a package where non-sports fans don't have to pay for sports and get a price break, then it only seems fair that sports fans should be able to subscribe to a sports centric package that doesn't include children's programming and movie channels and whatever, and get a price break for that, too. There's no reason sports fans should have to pay through the nose because louder non-sports fans get a non-sports package and then sports channels have to raise their per subscriber fee to compensate, but sports fans still have to pay for Disney and the like.

That raises another important point with all of this, though -- anything that moves the ball significantly closer to al carte is likely to mean that you pay the same or more in the long run for less programming. Basically, any channel, sports or no, is not going to want to see it's income slide as only people with a direct interest subscribe -- so they'll likely raise what they charge to compensate for those lost subscribers. The end result? People will get only the channels they are interested in and not have the option to, say, catch an occasional movie if they are mainly a sports fan, or an occasional game if they are mainly a movie fan. I think the idea that rates will drop is a myth. Call me crazy, but I think the truth of the matter is that the current system of broad-based packages is best for the consumer -- at least people usually get a wide variety of channels for their money, rather than paying the same amount for a handful of channels only (the likely result of ala carte).

I'm betting the cost of all children's networks bundled together do not even equal the cost of one RSN. That is why the drum beats hardest for sports. You save the most there.

Look at me, I have the welcome pack. The only pack without ESPN. Because of that my total cost (DVR fee included) is under what JUST THE PROGRAMMING costs from your theortical pack (don't forget a huge portion of the bill is distribution related, as satellites, uplinks, and "free" installation are not free).

The best world would be more like the Canadian system. Genera-centric packs. Add in a distribution component based on how many packs you have. You could have:

-A "Basic" pack (standbys like TNT, TBS, Syfy, Spike, AMC, and so on)
-A few sports packs (basic: ESPN, ESPN2, local RSNs; expanded: Versus, NFL, Tennis, out of market RSNs, etc.)
-A "Lifestyle" pack (Food, Cooking, HGTV, DIY, etc)
-A "Kids" pack (Nick, Cartoon, etc.)
-A "Classics" pack (TV Land, Hallmark, TCM, etc.)
-A "Learning" pack (Discovery, History, TLC, etc) (Yes, I know it is a joke to call these learning channels anymore)
-A "Womens" pack (Lifetime, We, Oxygen, etc.)
-A "Music/Reality" pack (MTV, CMT, Fox Reality, etc.)
-A "News" pack (CNN, Fox, MSNBC, HLN, Headline News, etc.)
and so on.

Channels still grouped together, but in a way we don't pay for the types of channels we never watch.

I'm betting the cost of all children's networks bundled together do not even equal the cost of one RSN. That is why the drum beats hardest for sports. You save the most there.

Look at me, I have the welcome pack. The only pack without ESPN. Because of that my total cost (DVR fee included) is under what JUST THE PROGRAMMING costs from your theortical pack (don't forget a huge portion of the bill is distribution related, as satellites, uplinks, and "free" installation are not free).

The best world would be more like the Canadian system. Genera-centric packs. Add in a distribution component based on how many packs you have. You could have:

-A "Basic" pack (standbys like TNT, TBS, Syfy, Spike, AMC, and so on)
-A few sports packs (basic: ESPN, ESPN2, local RSNs; expanded: Versus, NFL, Tennis, out of market RSNs, etc.)
-A "Lifestyle" pack (Food, Cooking, HGTV, DIY, etc)
-A "Kids" pack (Nick, Cartoon, etc.)
-A "Classics" pack (TV Land, Hallmark, TCM, etc.)
-A "Learning" pack (Discovery, History, TLC, etc) (Yes, I know it is a joke to call these learning channels anymore)
-A "Womens" pack (Lifetime, We, Oxygen, etc.)
-A "Music/Reality" pack (MTV, CMT, Fox Reality, etc.)
-A "News" pack (CNN, Fox, MSNBC, HLN, Headline News, etc.)
and so on.

Channels still grouped together, but in a way we don't pay for the types of channels we never watch.

Heres the problem, you still paying for channels that you dont watch.. Lets say I love fox news and I cant get enough of it.. I buy in to the "news pack" I'm paying for CNN, HLN and MSNBC, ect. All channels that I would never watch. The only way to do this right would be to have a pick and choose your own package, but that would drive the prices of channels up even more.

Thats fine...but let us, the end user break or contracts just like he is alowed to do.....This one sided capataliziam is totaly out of control!!!!!....I signed so I could get my RSN, you drop them,I drop you...fair is fair

I totally agree and if for some reason you would want to come back to Dish Network later at that time you would have to pay a penalty amount of money to renew your service with Dish Network.After all fair is fair and any company for any reason has the right to refuse service to anyone.:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts