DISH CES Press Conference Announcements

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I sat thru 3 teardowns of 4K televisions and I was not impressed. It looks great on DVD'S but some programming is only equal to HDTV . The various networks may be slow
getting the programming similar to the non-existent 3D

Does dish intend to launch any new birds to house more HD and 4k content, or is the stuff likely coming from the internet?
Overall I like the designs, but the 4k and Joey logos are huge on that box. Reminds me of this one Youtube video if Microsoft marketed the iPod. They start with a simple box and stamp words all over it, its pretty funny and true.
Like the preview of the carbon UI. The dark look is beneficial when watching TV in a dark theater room or low light room so it doesn't blind you to death when you bring it up. I see some other posters points though. A simple user selectable light or dark version would be nice so people can choose what they like. No provider does this DirecTV, Comcast, Time Warner... no one. I'm not talking about Windows where you can choose the hue and intensity slider for almost infinite color choices. I understand they need to be cautious of the memory overhead in these embedded systems.

All in all, this is some great stuff! Hoping to see a video demo of the new UI soon!

Seems like a waste... 4K with no content. This is really nothing more than a early way to make Dish appear as if they are giving the best for more with the constant high increases in fee's. I wonder if the wiring requirements for these will be different than regular joeys?? Most likely yes since current joeys will work on RG59 some of the oldest RG59 you can find and work fine to a certain distance. You also try to cut the cord and push all the requirements back on broadband providers whom will all try to force even more of a cap on its users. This option to cut the cord and use broadband only works for 15% or less of Dish's customers since the majority of them are out in the sticks and can't get anything else...still stuck on dialup and lucky to get a LOS for a few satellites now let alone HD or broadband. I just find this completely funny.... take all this crap back and give me a decrease in my bill please.

I don't think Dish can launch any new satellites, only replacements because they are out of orbital allotments, there can only be a certain number of satellite signals from each orbital allotment and there is a finite number of orbitals. They may gain a few transponders in the DirecTV merger if DirecTV can use that to sweeten the pot. otherwise SOL.

I don't think Dish can launch any new satellites, only replacements because they are out of orbital allotments, there can only be a certain number of satellite signals from each orbital allotment and there is a finite number of orbitals. They may gain a few transponders in the DirecTV merger if DirecTV can use that to sweeten the pot. otherwise SOL.

What do you mean " gain a few transponders IN THE DirecTV merger...."??

I've seen or heard nothing of this talk again other than the typical rumors every year of them joining forces.

Scuttlebutt is that DirecTV has offered to surrender its transponders at 110 to Dish if Dish will not oppose the merger of DirecTV with whomever they are trying to merge this time.

Charlie has already filed an objection, so it may be a moot point.

Scuttlebutt is that DirecTV has offered to surrender its transponders at 110 to Dish if Dish will not oppose the merger of DirecTV with whomever they are trying to merge this time.

Charlie has already filed an objection, so it may be a moot point.
I also remember reading that they had or were considering putting this as a condition to get the DOJ to sign off on the deal, sort of as a goodwill gesture toward competition. I.E. give up those slots at 110 and 119, presumably to Dish.

Yes I got to say there was nothing really new this year that I cared about. The new SLING Tv doesn't sound that interesting to me either ,since it will have Espn that will cause the price to go up just like my current DISH bill does now.

Reactions: foghorn2
I think Sling TV is going to push me over the edge to cancelling Dish. I wonder if they are expecting to lose Sat customers to this. Paring SlingTV with Hulu Plus pretty much gives me everything I watch. Plus adding in the $5 kids will just be icing on top. What would be ironic is if Disney Jr and Disney XD are in HD on Sling TV and not on Dish. I wonder if they will give access to Watch ESPN and/or Watch Disney? I think I saw mention of On Demand as a way to placate the loss of a DVR (I also saw the 3 day buffer that is available).

If someone gets a chance could someone ask Dish about when Showtime Anytime will be available and if they are going to launch any more HD Channels this year.

Thanks,
Chris

Reactions: bobvick
Chris as far as I know the new contract is not in effect yet so all the new stuff from CBS will not come until the contract is done and in effect.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: Yespage
I think Sling TV is going to push me over the edge to cancelling Dish. I wonder if they are expecting to lose Sat customers to this. Paring SlingTV with Hulu Plus pretty much gives me everything I watch. Plus adding in the $5 kids will just be icing on top. What would be ironic is if Disney Jr and Disney XD are in HD on Sling TV and not on Dish. I wonder if they will give access to Watch ESPN and/or Watch Disney? I think I saw mention of On Demand as a way to placate the loss of a DVR (I also saw the 3 day buffer that is available).
VOD, but nothing will likely replace the importance of a DVR. It is a big thing to drop, but they are also dropping the price substantially as well. So it is reasonable, but it will be a big thing to cope with.

The only thing that might work would be a third-party being able to record through their computer.

My Iphone has voice control and my car came with voice control. I tried both of them a few times but just could not use them be I just felt stupid talking to my car or phone and I think I would feel just as dumb talking to my tv remote. Besides Why I was a kid we had to get up out of our chair and actually walk across the room to change the TV channel. I have not got so lazy yet that I find pushing the buttons on the remote a task.

My Iphone has voice control and my car came with voice control. I tried both of them a few times but just could not use them be I just felt stupid talking to my car or phone and I think I would feel just as dumb talking to my tv remote. Besides Why I was a kid we had to get up out of our chair and actually walk across the room to change the TV channel. I have not got so lazy yet that I find pushing the buttons on the remote a task.

Ug, voice commands. Lets see all the channels that sound similar - FXX/FX/FOX ; ESPN 2/ ESPN U ; NBC/CNBC/MSNBC ; CBS/PBS ; etc. Sounds like a headache.

I use voice commands all the time in my Ford Edge works great to make and answer phone calls hands free - just have to know the jargon.

So, in order to make room for any potential upcoming 4K content, will Dish convert some of their HD channels to part-time HD? Hey, it works for the local RSNs, why not expand it?

Color me disappointed.

When Dish converts to 8PSK on Western Arc, they will have about 5 transponders or about 200+ mbits/sec of free bandwidth. Perhaps a few 4k movie PPVs and maybe someone like HBO could eventually start a 4k channel. Remember when HD first started it was just HBO (East) and Discovery HDT.

Nothing should be done with any additional bandwidth until the part time RSNs go away become full-time.

Reactions: zippyfrog
Well, I'll be dammed.

Dish did it again. Just went through this mornings major news sources and SlingTV is right up there as the most covered tech item at the show. In summary, it's all about disruptive changes in viewing, millenniums and how they watch TV, and ESPN streaming without a continuing contract being the big deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)