Dish clipping ends of programs?

MikeMoss

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
Ada, MI
Hi

For some reason Dish has started clipping the ends of every program I record.
Last night I was watching a recording and it suddenly ended just before we found out what the conclusion of the story was.

It is also apparent that every recording is starting late.
I always get a couple of minutes of the preceding program before the one I'm recording starts.

I know that I can tell it to add to the end of the recording, but then it won't record 2 programs that follow one another.

It didn't do this, this badly in the past, but it's been doing this for months now.

Anyone know what's going on, or a way to get it back in sync?

Mike

I still have that issue when I'm recording one program after the other on the same channel. Even if I set it to start earlier and finish later I get the cut off. I could try an extra 5 minutes but then an extra tuner would probably be used, no? For some reason this never happened with Directv....

I submit that the primary problem is DISH's death grip on rounding the guide data. Some of the programs that are off have been formally scheduled that way but DISH remains steadfast in their commitment to round everything to the nearest five or ten minutes. Fixing this may be very involved, but it really needs to happen.

It would also be nice if there were some way to do "soft padding" like the other guys do where one channel is recorded to two files during the overlap (perhaps after the fact and assuming that they're on the same channel).

I'm not buying that this is a campaign to get people to watch TV live as that's simply not going to happen and the networks know it. As time goes on, an increasing number of viewers will not follow a series or wait for it to come out in commercial-limited and/or time-independent formats rather than be forced to watch it live. Rather what they are trying to do is create a cross-breeding situation where you might become engaged in the previous program if you saw enough of it in the one you were aiming for.

This has been extensively discussed in other threads over the years. When commercials were inserted between shows at the top and bottom of the hour it wasn't a problem. But those were dropped in hopes that you'll continue watching the same channel. Several years ago, 1 network, I forget which, tried to off set shows by 5 minutes in order to do that.
Part of the problem is that it does take time for programing to be transmitted to Dish, processed, uplinked to a satellite and then down to the home then processed by your receiver. When I had a 722 and a 211 there was a distinct difference between the 2 when it came to viewing.
Now that I have HWS's, using a 1 min before and after as default has eliminated most of the cut off problems.

I still have that issue when I'm recording one program after the other on the same channel. Even if I set it to start earlier and finish later I get the cut off. I could try an extra 5 minutes but then an extra tuner would probably be used, no? For some reason this never happened with Directv....

Unfortunately if you use the same channel the late get set to 0 on the first recording and the start sets to 0 on the second. Either a manual timer for all the programs on the channel or use the other channel number (most channels have two locations) to keep the start/stop on both recordings).

Recording HD programs back to back on same channel

If you want to record two HD programs back to back, most HD channels are on Dish Network at two locations. They are the three digit number and the 9400/9500 locations. That does take two tuners, but gets the whole show on each channel. Or on channels that repeat the shows for the West coast, do one on East Coast Time and the other three hours later.

2min before and 2min after will record the overlaps using 2 tuners, even on the same channel.

It's not the receiver's fault. The networks don't start/end right on the x:00 or x:30 in all instances. If it is an odd time and Dish puts it in the guide data (sometimes it says the time in the title) then the recording starts/stops according to the time. In some situations, it's made even worse when a football, baseball (whatever) live game runs late.

If it's a HUGE issue, you could set to record the show before AND after what you want to record. I'm a SNL fan and if there were games that ran late, then the 11PM news got pushed back, and then sometimes SNL wouldn't start as much as 45 minutes to an hour after it was supposed to.

But you're right. Annoying.

It's not the receiver's fault, and it's not Dish's fault. Take it up with the networks. They are the ones who decide when programs start and finish. I have learned to live with this.

2min before and 2min after will record the overlaps using 2 tuners, even on the same channel.

Yep,I believe it was you that suggested this a good while ago,my wife's 722 was missing the ends of some of her shows,that trick solved the problem.

At first I thought it was ABC, cause they used to delay Lost and others, but yes I think you are correct.

Hi

For some reason Dish has started clipping the ends of every program I record.
Last night I was watching a recording and it suddenly ended just before we found out what the conclusion of the story was.

It is also apparent that every recording is starting late.
I always get a couple of minutes of the preceding program before the one I'm recording starts.

I know that I can tell it to add to the end of the recording, but then it won't record 2 programs that follow one another.

It didn't do this, this badly in the past, but it's been doing this for months now.

Anyone know what's going on, or a way to get it back in sync?

Mike

Yep, Dish is sneaking into your house when you are asleep and opening up your DVR and then they take their scissors and clip a minute or two of the end of each program you record and add it to the front of the next show you are recording just for fun and to see if you might notice. ;)

That's what I'm trying to avoid,the use of more than one tuner on the same channel. Guess I'll live with it until we have a similar version of PTAT on these other channels but 24/7 :wacko:

Hi

Thanks for the responses.
I've set it to add 3 min to the end of everything, the problem is that if I want to record a show at 9:00 and another one at 10:00 then I can't watch a different show then the one I'm recording at 10:00.

This doesn't happen all the time but it is kind of a pain, I'm having to skip some things I'd like to record.
This is really only a problem on the major networks who don't repeat everything later.

If I want to record "Psych" for example I can always record it in the middle of the night.
But they don't repeat Masterpiece theater so I had to skip some programs that were on opposite each other during the Olympics.

Anyway at least I know it's not just me. LOL

Mike

Albuquerque's 2 PBS channels show Masterpiece Theatre twice each. There are many other singletons.
PBS seems the most punctual of the local stations. They also tend to end early and fill.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)